General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

On 12/12/2022 at 07:59, BuddyAwesome said:

Re-downloaded For Honor to give the story mode one more college try. Really don't like it. But, man, Breach and Dominion are really fun.

Just added that to the download list to give it another go around. Some very fun little bits about this game. Haven't played since it originally came out. So I'm going to suck still. :D

Picked up Generation Zero Yesterday. Has been quite fun so far. Just enjoyed the idea of it really. Plus the 80s synth music hits that Stranger Thing's vibe. 

So I started High on Life, looks really nice and everything seems very bright and colourful which is a welcome change for a shooter. I've never really watched too much Rick and Morty but it did give me something of a cautious preconception here, perhaps a little unfairly because a lot of that is down to the negative light the R&M fanbase find themselves in and the possibility of the whole 'personality' thing being a bit obnoxious. Which, if you've not seen the trailers, your gun is basically a living thing that talks back to you and guides you through the game.  I can certainly see how people would find it annoying and there are options to tone down the frequency of chatter from the gun/enemies. 

It does liven things up though, rather than just walking down some corridor to the sounds of gunfire and enemy shots, you get this other character making observations on whats happening or explaining what things are. Can't imagine you'd have too many tense moments in the game with this though. Like, say you're trying to get to the next checkpoint on a tiny sliver of health, cautiously making your way through the level worried about every slight movement, it might be undermined somewhat to have your gun shouting "OMG HOLY SHIT IT'S A FUCKING GORFAX FLORBLER. SHOOT THAT FUCKING THING NOW!" every five seconds.

• Like 1

Really can't decide what game I fancy playing next or what takes my fancy from my collection. It's overwhelming sometimes and very annoying. Have a load of good game's I could be playing. 

Mainly It's been FIFA. The Division, Jurrasic World Evolution and Watch Dog's Legion. Dying Light 2. (Not started it yet.)

Most notable on the list that I own and could be playing are.

Cyberpunk. Dark Souls series. Dead Rising 4. Deus Ex series. Dishonored 1 and 2. Empire of Sun. Elite Dangerous. Fallout 76. Far Cry 5 + New Dawn. Ghost of Tsushima. God of War. Hitman series. Horizon Zero Dawn  Judgement. Just Cause 3 and 4. Kerbal Space. Lords of The Fallen. Mafia 1-3. Spiderman. Monster Hunter. Nioh 1 and 2. No Man's Sky. Pathfinder. Payday 2. Rage 2. Red Dead Redemption 2. Sekiro. Star Wars Fallen Jedi. The Surge 1 and 2. A lot of Tom Clancy's Games. Wasteland 3. Yakuza Series. 

You'd think out of all them I would be able to at least decide on a game that takes my fancy. Yet. I don't know what kind of game I want to play.

I still enjoy gaming. But I think it can be taxing for my fibromyalgia, and I get confused a lot with brain fog and general mental health issues. Just gaming was always something that I enjoyed. It was an escape. I know I want to play game's. But I don't always play for long now.

FIFA 23 is literally the only game I play weekly and suck hour's into on FUT and Career Mode. I enjoy that side of gaming at building up a team or squad with improvements. 

You can definitely have too many games to play. I've been in a similar situation with a backlog of games, where all of them obviously interested me when I picked them up, but I go through phases of wanting to play more casually. FIFA is fine for that as you can drop in and out, but games with a story or open worlds take up a lot more time and dedication. I mentioned playing Days Gone on PS4 and not completing that, but I was really enjoying it at the time. I find it harder to go back and continue games I've left sitting there for 2 years, hence why I'll be restarting it on PC soon.

Probably. :shifty:

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I find it harder to go back and continue games I've left sitting there for 2 years, hence why I'll be restarting it on PC soon.

This is the same problem for myself. If I do revisit a game then I will start a new one if I'm not too far into it. But agree that open world and story game's are difficult to drop in and out of. As you said FIFA is fine for me to drop in and out of as it is always the same. Can figure out quickly where I was. 

Think like you I have those moment's where my interest in gaming either wanes or playing more casually is what is called for at the time. But then again sometimes I have an urge to play a certain type of video game genre or something will inspire me to look back at a game. 

Definitely too many game's to play. :pervert:

I love a role-playing game. But that can be also difficult as more often than not i will restart after a quick test to understand the World better. Can never figure out what kind of character I want to be. 

Enjoy Day's Gone if you restart it on the PC. It's not a bad game at all and the story is very satisfying in a way. 

Now. I shall sit and think of what I want to play. No clue at all. Once I found an old bingo machine and gave the game's number's so that it would pick it for me. That was fun. It picked Sleeping Dog's then Saint's Row 3 and followed up with Skyrim. 

I've been playing No Man's Sky when I get the opportunity. It's a pretty relaxing game, you can just toddle around the galaxy of you want, scanning animals and being insulted by the Vy'Keen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gazz said:

I've been playing No Man's Sky when I get the opportunity. It's a pretty relaxing game, you can just toddle around the galaxy of you want, scanning animals and being insulted by the Vy'Keen.

From the very little I played of that game. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and like you said about just flying around. I will possibly look further into it if I get a chance. I don't mind a space exploration game. Elite Dangerous does remind me a little of No Man's Sky when I checked that out. Think it has some nice chilled out music if I remember about it does No Man's Sky. It could be a good game just to relax with. So might do that with it. Glad you are enjoying pottering around the galaxy of the game. 

Was remembering my N64 days today and thought of International Superstar Soccer 64 again, there was that cool challenge mode based on, I think, real life games.

My favorite was a challenge where you play as Scotland against... England maybe? But anyway you are down 2 goals and there's like 0 time left on the clock and you need to score off of a header and score again to force extra time. 

Such a tough challenge that was super rewarding to pull off.

Does that game ring a bell @The Kraig or @METALMAN ?

• Like 1

The only thing I can think of that might be similar is the Euro 2000 qualification playoff where England won the first leg 2-0. Scotland won the second leg 1-0.

England beat Scotland 2-0 at Euro 96 but it was group stage so extra time wouldn’t have been an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

The only thing I can thing is that might be similar is the Euro 2000 qualification playoff where England won the first leg 2-0

Did a bit of looking, the game came out at the end of 1996/beginning of 1997 so it could be the 1996 European Championship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England–Scotland_football_rivalry#1996_European_Championship

Looks like England went up 2-0 late in the game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santa Claws said:

Was remembering my N64 days today and thought of International Superstar Soccer 64 again, there was that cool challenge mode based on, I think, real life games.

My favorite was a challenge where you play as Scotland against... England maybe? But anyway you are down 2 goals and there's like 0 time left on the clock and you need to score off of a header and score again to force extra time. 

Such a tough challenge that was super rewarding to pull off.

Does that game ring a bell @The Kraig or @METALMAN ?

There was definitely one challenge you had to win in normal time with about 5 mins on the clock and 2 or 3 down. You basically had to score on every attack, and you had far more injury time than normal time. Basically like this World Cup...

I'd never clicked they were based on real games though.

• Like 2

A lot of the ones on the SNES game are seemingly based on Euro 96 qualifying, like one of them mentions Scotland needing to qualify for the 'finals in England' but I'm not sure how specific it gets in terms of individual moments in the game. Still, it stands to reason that they'd do a similar thing in a later game.

The SNES one also has this vaguely offensive one regarding England and Japan that seems to stem from a 1995 Umbro Cup match where England scored very late to win 2-1.

20221220_180807 - Copy.png

• Like 1

Playing Mass Effect for the first time ever given it's legendary edition is free on the Playstation. So far, sure it's early days but I find it...fine? The gameplay hasn't aged a great deal, but I like the lore so far that has humanity as a second class race in the eyes of most rather than the most important race of all. 

Not had much chance to make the game "my own" I guess, and I know the eventual ending is disappointing to say the least. So far, it's okay. Not sure it will hook me.

It doesn't help when Shepherd looks like David Bentley and not John Flanagan.

• Like 2

Yeah I did all three together 2 or 3 years ago (I'm well behind on games as always) and found the first a bit of a slog, but still interesting enough to pull you in. The second one is amazing. I somehow misread the character creation screen and played the whole trilogy as Fernando Shepherd as I'd thought I could be Fernando Partridge. 

• Haha 3

I actually really enjoyed the first one, they're all excellent games but I definitely enjoyed the story in the first one but it's the sort of series that are so fuckin huge I don't ever see myself going back to them.

I picked up Street Fighter V in the Steam sale since it was cheap and it gives off a very bad first impression, like it feels very predatory in a 'free to play' kinda way. I had to skip through like 30 pop up screens going through all these different features and in game events, explanation of the in game currency etc. I get that I'm coming into it at the end of the cycle so there's been all these new things added over the course of their various revisions but I'm not going to sit there for half an hour to read all this stuff for what should be a simple fighting game.

The roster screen has a whole bunch of people locked out with shopping cart icons over them which feels a bit like when you're in the queue at the supermarket and you have all the impulse stuff around you like "whilst you're waiting, why not get a Mars Bar?". Maybe it's just because I had whatever GotY equivalent version of SFIV (Arcade Ultra edition or whatever) that had a ton of people but it feels pretty bare bones to have like 10 fighters and then huge $ signs over the rest.

The biggest one though is the fact it has in game advertising that interrupts the game before each fight. Not like an ad for McDonalds or something but just promoting skin packs or some IRL tournament. If you had an ad supported version where you had ads like that before a fight to compensate the fact you were getting the base game for free then fair enough, but to buy the product and still have them try and sell shit for you is pretty bad. Granted I only paid £4 so it's not a massive deal to me but I'd be way more annoyed if I'd paid full price or if they pull this kinda shit in SFVI from the get go. Didn't one of the NBA games do this too? There I get it kinda makes sense since they're trying to emulate a TV presentation but it's still pretty insulting for them to try and wring every penny out of you.

• Like 1

That's the sad reality of the direction many games are going in. Companies are making record profits and still finding ways to inflate the price of game content.

We're at the point now where many publishers have increased the price of new games to £70, and that's often just the starting cost. Factor in paywalled cosmetics, DLC and season passes and you're looking at a big money sink if you want to access content that would have been included in the base package not that long ago.

Contrast that with a good number of games made by small studios or single developers that offer free updates for years after release. If Stardew Valley had been published by a big company, you just know that all the extra features would have been part of a monetised "road map".