What Did You Watch Today? 2022

IDOL

Ticket To Paradise last night. Pretty good, and funny. My only gripe is Julia Roberts' character comes off as a bitch early on.

Currently watching Nope, and trying to figure out what drugs Jordan Peele was on when he wrote it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still on hols so we've watched a couple of films recently.

Strange World was really nice, good when Disney can do an original film well. It looks pretty and has a nice story to it, plus is guaranteed to annoy the world's most horrible people thanks to a prominent character being gay and mixed race. The overall plot itself is pretty on the nose but pulled off well.

Everything, Everywhere All At Once was tremendous. I'd be lying if I said I followed everything in it, but I think to an extent that's the point, enjoy the scifi nonsense but fundamentally it's a story about family. 

And I finally watched Knives Out having somehow completely slept on it. Really good fun. We both guessed the twist/solution about halfway in, but I don't think it suffered for that. Well written, well acted, definitely looking forward to Glass Onion.

15 hours ago, Colly said:

And I finally watched Knives Out having somehow completely slept on it. Really good fun. We both guessed the twist/solution about halfway in, but I don't think it suffered for that. Well written, well acted, definitely looking forward to Glass Onion.

if you liked Knives Out, you'll like Glass Onion. I figured out the solution to Knives Out pretty quick, and Glass Onion's as well. But there's a couple of things in Glass Onion that still managed to surprise me. I'm really looking forward to the eventual third film. Craig is great as Benoit Blanc, and I enjoy him as that character a hell of a lot more than I did as James Bond. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Glass Onion, we watched The Last of Shiela yesterday evening.

It is a 1973 murder mystery written by Stephen Sondheim and Anthony Perkins that stars starring James Coburn, Ian McShane and Raquel Welch. The film also happens to be was of the inspirations for Glass Onion and Knives Out.

Its got a very similar set up (a wealthy man brings his friends together for to play a mystery game). It doesn't really follow a traditional murder mystery structure so much though. I think its dated a little in certain ways but its worth an interesting film and worth a watch.