What Did You Watch Today? 2023 edition

Chevalier, via Hulu. Great movie, and the lead is an American who pulls off a somewhat convincing accent (why they're using British accents in a movie about France is beyond me....). Good movie, based on a true story, but it does take some dramatic license. For instance, the opening scene did not happen, but Bologne and Mozart did know each other.

Spoiler

His mother actually came to live with him when he was 9, not an adult, and there is no proof he had an affair with Marie-Josephine or fathered her child. The affair and child come from a book about him whose author likely made it up. No actual proof exists.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5. And if anyone who has seen it knows what the song is that is playing at the end (before the end credits) is, please let me know.

Edited by GhostMachine

I've watched Barbie twice this week! What a wonderful movie, had a great time both times!! It's deeper than you'd anticipate if you go in blind, but absolutely packed with jokes and silly moments. I loved it.

Had surgery a week ago and am finally starting to feel better (aaaaand desperately need to get out of the house) so I’m taking my son to see TMNT: Mutant Mayhem while his mom and a friend watch The Barbie Movie. Pretty hyped, will write back with our reactions.

• Like 1

Man, TMNT Mutant Mayhem was great. I’d been trying for years to get my son to watch the 90’s movies and the Nickelodeon series, but he never had any interest. All throughout the movie he kept saying “This is Intense!” “I can see why you like them so much!”

Very Spiderverse feeling with it’s animation, loved the character designs (They look and sound like teenage boys and Donnie wears glasses), and all of the changes they made to the origins and lore I thought worked well with the story they told to make them really appeal better to today’s generation.

It’s kind of sad to see man-children my age ripping it apart on social media because of these changes. My son was so enamored with this movie when the credits rolled, he asked if we could stop at the store and see what they had for toys. I ended up buying him a Donnie, Mikey and Raph/Rocksteady 2 pack at Walmart and he played with them until bed time. Totally converted him into a Turtles fan tonight.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2023 at 13:03, IDOL said:

Man, TMNT Mutant Mayhem was great. I’d been trying for years to get my son to watch the 90’s movies and the Nickelodeon series, but he never had any interest. All throughout the movie he kept saying “This is Intense!” “I can see why you like them so much!”

Very Spiderverse feeling with it’s animation, loved the character designs (They look and sound like teenage boys and Donnie wears glasses), and all of the changes they made to the origins and lore I thought worked well with the story they told to make them really appeal better to today’s generation.

It’s kind of sad to see man-children my age ripping it apart on social media because of these changes. My son was so enamored with this movie when the credits rolled, he asked if we could stop at the store and see what they had for toys. I ended up buying him a Donnie, Mikey and Raph/Rocksteady 2 pack at Walmart and he played with them until bed time. Totally converted him into a Turtles fan tonight.

Took my son to see TMNT Mutant Mayhem today and i echo the sentiments here entirely it was really really good. Luckily he already had old TMNT toys though so no need to drain my bank account on them. But it's all he wants to play the rest of the day.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, theshadow said:

Took my son to see TMNT Mutant Mayhem today and i echo the sentiments here entirely it was really really good. Luckily he already had old TMNT toys though so no need to drain my bank account on them. But it's all he wants to play the rest of the day.

We now own all of the first wave, even the very hard to find Splinter and the Target exclusive toddler turtles. Consider yourself lucky 😅

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2023 at 17:34, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

Gotta be honest I'm not that high on the latest season of Sex Education.

It was incredibly disappointing. It got rid of way too many minor characters that really added to the show, a lot of the new characters felt like they were just thrown in for inclusion with absolutely zero character development, the entire idea of the new college was so unrealistic I couldn't take it seriously, and I feel like so many of the characters have absolutely terrible endings to their arc. I cannot believe how badly they butchered this show with a horrible final season.

Watched Twisted Metal last weekend while dogsitting.

While I did enjoy it, and I thought Samoa Joe did a FANTASTIC job in body acting (the voice was dubbed over) I had some issues with the world it seemed to build around it

I watched Killers of the Flower Moon last night. From the start of trailers to credits it was a brisk 3 hours and 45 minutes. Scorsese could have made it twice as long and I'd have been on board, the subject matter was painfully sad but so engaging and sobering. There's so much good in it, Lily Gladstone is immediately the awards season frontrunner and this movie might be as well. Needless to say it's got that impeccable technical filmmaking you only get from a few directors. I think given America's horrid history towards its indigenous population and Hollywood's reprehensible depictions of the "Old West" the film might be and obligatory watch. It's left me with so much to think on, but isolated as a movie itself it's pretty damned brilliant.

Us...

Spoiler

Might be one of the most over hyped films I have ever watched. It's definitely the most over hyped horror I've ever watched behind The Quiet Place. Visually it works, but the entire plot is ridiculous, and at no point during the film did I feel any sort of real tension. Just an absolute miss of a horror film. Shame because I really liked Get Out and the cast of this could have made something really good out of a better plot and script.

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Us...

Hide contents

Might be one of the most over hyped films I have ever watched. It's definitely the most over hyped horror I've ever watched behind The Quiet Place. Visually it works, but the entire plot is ridiculous, and at no point during the film did I feel any sort of real tension. Just an absolute miss of a horror film. Shame because I really liked Get Out and the cast of this could have made something really good out of a better plot and script.

Still have not seen Us, as I didn't like the trailer. But Peele's movie afterward, Nope, was more or less shit.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:22, Ruki said:

I watched that on Saturday night, I really enjoyed it! 

Finally watched it, and I hope everyone behind it does another film - not necessarily a sequel - with most of the main cast. One thing about the movie:

Spoiler

Did not see Doug being the original killer, but I nailed Chris as the modern one.

• 4 weeks later...