What Did You Watch Today? 2023 edition

Fast & Furious (Fast & 4ious?)

Back at it against for Fast 4 the 4th Fast, Faster than 3.  Paul Walker learned some rudimentary acting skills in his time away from the franchise, good for him.  Sad he's stopped calling everyone "Cuh" though.  Brian is the worst law enforcement officer in the history of cinema.  Not enough Han.  The plot is a bit too similar to 2Fast 2Furious, especially for Brian.  The tunnel sequences were kind of a lame finale, maybe they looked better in 2009 but the effects look pretty dated today.  I feel like something was definitely glossed over when the always careful and prepared Braga gets ambushed pretty effortlessly by Dom and Brian in the church, just out of the blue.  Haven't figured out my ranking for this one yet.  Better than the first film, but falling pretty much in line with 2 and 3 for me.

Scream (2022)

Given that this one is a bit more recent I'll spoiler my thoughts

Spoiler

Kinda meh.  I called Jack Quaid being the killer back when he was announced as part of the cast.  Amber felt SUPER underdeveloped as a character to be one of the final killers.  Felt like the time that was devoted to male twin and his girlfriend could have been used to flesh Amber out a bit more, as those two characters were mostly pointless, especially the girlfriend.   I think the whole "Here's what happens in horror movies" schtick was way too on the nose with this one. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

Fast & Furious (Fast & 4ious?)

Back at it against for Fast 4 the 4th Fast, Faster than 3.  Paul Walker learned some rudimentary acting skills in his time away from the franchise, good for him.  Sad he's stopped calling everyone "Cuh" though.  Brian is the worst law enforcement officer in the history of cinema.  Not enough Han.  The plot is a bit too similar to 2Fast 2Furious, especially for Brian.  The tunnel sequences were kind of a lame finale, maybe they looked better in 2009 but the effects look pretty dated today.  I feel like something was definitely glossed over when the always careful and prepared Braga gets ambushed pretty effortlessly by Dom and Brian in the church, just out of the blue.  Haven't figured out my ranking for this one yet.  Better than the first film, but falling pretty much in line with 2 and 3 for me.

Scream (2022)

Given that this one is a bit more recent I'll spoiler my thoughts

Reveal hidden contents

It's about time. And now the F&F movies get RIDICULOUS. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Boiling Point. A film done in a single shot is always impressive, and it’s compelling and yet realistic, too. I sure know the issues of dealing with the health inspectors too!!

Been working through some of the Michelle Yeoh offerings on Criterion Channel lately. Have a few more to watch, but it's a good collection of films. Extremely excited to check out their Erotic Thriller offerings this month - Brian de Palma's time is now.

More importantly, I also finally watched Possession and holy shit I think I just want to watch that again. And then again. An absolutely incredible movie by the master of hysteria.

• Like 1

I have now seen all the Twilight movies.

Breaking Dawn Pt 2 despite being the shortest one feels like its the longest. Maybe its the fact its  mostly just people standing around talking for 2hrs.

11 hours ago, Maxx said:

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Very enjoyable and infinitely better than the last D&D movie

Whoa hold up.  You aren't allowed to watch anything else until you finish your F&F watch through...

• Haha 1

Tetris - Really fun, great use of sound and music.  The movie format, with a runtime of about 2 hours or so, makes it feel like the story takes place over a course of a few weeks, when it was actually around 2 years.  Plus there is an entirely created for the movie car chase, but the chase uses some nice visuals and features a Russian cover of "Holding Out For a Hero" (Apple +)

Murder Mystery 2 - Didn't like it as much as the first one.  Really sort of predictable.  To the point where, when the eventual antagonist appeared on screen, I mentally went "Oh they definitely did it".  But Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler have some really good chemistry together, and there was some scenes that made me laugh out loud (Netflix)

Unstable - Series features Rob Lowe and his son.  Its about the head of a biotech company who had a sort of mental breakdown after the death of his wife.  It was ok.  Took a few episodes for things to really click for me.  There are some things about dealing with grief, and some genuinely good jokes if you get into it.  (Netflix)

Fast Five: The fifth fast, faster than fourth.  A substantially better movie than the first four films.  Dominic Torretto's ability to make law enforcement officers stop chasing him and instead assist him is on full display here, what a charmer.  The big ensemble cast really helps to take a lot of the acting work off Paul Walker's plate and his performance is better for it. I love that when their intricately planned heist goes awry, the backup plan is to just let The Rock smash through a wall.  The franchise's already loose grip on things like physics and reality are showing signs of slipping away entirely, and I'm here for it.

Current Ranking
Five
Three
Two
Four
One

8 hours ago, Maxx said:

Fast Five: The fifth fast, faster than fourth.  A substantially better movie than the first four films.  Dominic Torretto's ability to make law enforcement officers stop chasing him and instead assist him is on full display here, what a charmer.  The big ensemble cast really helps to take a lot of the acting work off Paul Walker's plate and his performance is better for it. I love that when their intricately planned heist goes awry, the backup plan is to just let The Rock smash through a wall.  The franchise's already loose grip on things like physics and reality are showing signs of slipping away entirely, and I'm here for it.

Current Ranking
Five
Three
Two
Four
One

Yes. YESSSS

Took my son to see The Super Mario Bros. Movie. We had an absolute blast. I don’t know what all of the crying is about from the adults. It’s a children’s movie and they didn’t disrespect the source material at all. Lots of fun Easter eggs, the familiar music and characters. If you are a Mario fan you should definitely appreciate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDOL said:

I don’t know what all of the crying is about from the adults. It’s a children’s movie

Thats basically what the crying is.  The adults who grew up with Mario are going to see it expecting some nostalgia hit and stuff "for them" and they are disappointed when...its a kids movie

Jeremy Renner: The Diane Sawyer Interview (Disney+)

Good lord how is this guy still alive?!

Edit:  He's 52?!  I did not know that!  I'm 42 and I thought he was younger then me

6 hours ago, Lint said:

Thats basically what the crying is.  The adults who grew up with Mario are going to see it expecting some nostalgia hit and stuff "for them" and they are disappointed when...its a kids movie

I feel like there was plenty in there for us adults who grew up with these games. Did they just want the movie to be Mario going castle to castle trying to rescue Peach? (They even included a joke about that) Adult nerds are so hard to please, I’m glad they kept it a fun movie for kids. Children were standing and clapping when it was over, and even waited around for the end scenes. It was so cool to see.

11 hours ago, IDOL said:

Took my son to see The Super Mario Bros. Movie. We had an absolute blast. I don’t know what all of the crying is about from the adults. It’s a children’s movie and they didn’t disrespect the source material at all. Lots of fun Easter eggs, the familiar music and characters. If you are a Mario fan you should definitely appreciate it.

Exactly. It was perfectly fun fan service with some cool Easter eggs. It didn't need some complex story, especially since I assume this is the first of a few now.