Comic Book Films & TV Thread 2023

Spiderman Across the Spider-Verse spoilers:

Spoiler

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK CLIFFHANGERS! Seriously! When Spider-Gwen puts the team together to help out Miles, I thought this was the perfect moment to quickly take a piss before the climactic battle begins! So I quickly sneak out to relieve myself and as I come out of the toilets, I see audience members who I watche the movie with coming my way and I return to the cinema, the credits are already playing. I know I didn't miss much, probably a minute or two, but it was still annoying.

The movie was awesome otherwise though. About on-part with the first one.

Edited by Hellraiser

On 03/06/2023 at 07:51, Your Mom said:

I'm sure I've seen them but I have no memory of it so I've started the old Superman movies with Christopher Reeve. I really enjoyed the first one but now I'm wondering what to do with the second one. There are 2 different versions. Are they both worth watching? And if they are what order do I watch them in?

On 05/06/2023 at 11:40, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

From what I remember, the Donner cut (the one released later) is much more serious than the original cut. The original cut is also more polished because they actually finished some of the effects and such that they didn't for some of the Donner scenes that were re-inserted. 

I'd probably watch the one that was initially released as the Donner cut wasn't released until 2006. 

Completely agree. Of the Reeve movies, Superman II is the one I've watched the most, and I've only watched the Donner cut once.

Have two things I do not like about the film, though:

Spoiler

That cocoon wrap/whatever the hell it was thing from Superman's emblem. More like something Batman would use. And him going back and humiliating the trucker was out of character for Clark/Superman. I could see him doing something like moving the guy's truck somewhere it would have been impossible to get to/hard to get down.

• 2 weeks later...

Flash was decent, some really fun moments.  But that movie really ran the gamut for CGI, there’s some Rock as the Scorpion King level bad CGI in it.

I mean...this looks ok.  But I'm confused by the tagline.  "Villains aren't born, they're made"

Nothing in the trailer makes Kraven out to be a villain

The Sony Spiderman but no Spiderman universe is a mess really. I actually didn't mind Morbius, but there's nothing really there, we're now at 3 anti-heroes and god knows what Madame Web will be.

• 1 month later...

So he saved the kid without a second thought and then not only almost let Lois die but did some dumbassery where she had to save him? Maybe I'm in a mood but this is some bull man

Ok nevermind I thought they were going to keep up the charade the whole movie

Ok I slept on it in case it was just my mood but I don't think so. How the hell did people complain about Man of Steel Superman when this Superman

Spoiler

1. Gave up his powers after like 2 minutes thought just so he could have sex with Lois
2. Let the same property damage happen to Metropolis that the Man of Steel haters complained about
3. Murdered Big Dumb Henchman and Zod even though he turned them human and could have easily captured them
4. Let Lois murder someone too even though he could have captured her
5. The whole Amnesia Kiss thing when he didn't even ask Lois if that's what she wanted
6. Went back to the diner just so he could use his powers to bully the guy who beat him up earlier in the movie

Yet even after all that I had a fun time watching it :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the idea with the computers and stuff because I mean back then everyone was scared about what a computer might be able to do so that was a fun angle for them to play with. There was way too much "comedy" though and like none of it was any good. Plus the movie should have ended about halfway through when Richard Pryor fell off a fucking skyscraper and landed on his feet. Every bone in that man's body would have been shattered! 

Anyway cool concept but easily the worst of the 3 so far

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I really liked the idea with the computers and stuff because I mean back then everyone was scared about what a computer might be able to do so that was a fun angle for them to play with. There was way too much "comedy" though and like none of it was any good. Plus the movie should have ended about halfway through when Richard Pryor fell off a fucking skyscraper and landed on his feet. Every bone in that man's body would have been shattered! 

Anyway cool concept but easily the worst of the 3 so far

Pryor had so much coke in his system he might've very well be superman himself.

• Haha 2

I started Good Omens 2 today. I'm liking it so far but that's obviously not why I'm posting since I'm doing it in here. There are a lot of interesting actors in this I didn't recognize so I was reading everyone's little bios. I got to Jon Hamm (for the record I do recognize him :P ) anyway it said he had a deleted scene he filmed as Mr. Sinister for the New Mutants movie. I read up on this a little and another source online said he was up for the role but never filmed anything.

Does anyone know which source is right? I'd love to see that scene if it actually exists

Hamm himself has said he didn't film anything but is mega open to the idea, he's a comics geek kinda like Cavill to a greater or lesser degree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really like the way they've adapted Bryan Lee O'Malley's art style for this. Wasn't sure about it seeing stills but in motion it feels right to me.

• Like 2

Been watching this, and its a really fun series

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This looks...well...it certainly looks like a movie..

I saw someone say yesterday that it looks like it was meant to come out in 2005 and then just got stuck on a detour for eighteen years. Real Elektra vibes off that movie, right down to the lead who doesn't seem especially well-suited to playing a comic book hero.

• Like 1