General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I'm waiting for consoles but now I want it badly! Hopefully this isn't like a big spoiler or something

Not only can you pet the dog, you can likely talk to it! There is a spell called Speak With Animals. I've already spoken to a pissy squirrel and an angry owlbear mama. 

I'm not having any difficulties on medium, but I am very much a D&D person, so I know how to 'build' characters optimally. So if anyone needs assistance in that regard, lemme know.

• Like 1

I think for me it's a matter of rushing things. I wasn't being strategic enough at all and that's 100% not the way to play a game like this. I've always been a "run and gun" sort of guy, even in semi-stealth games. I'd rather just run through and shoot you than wait in a corner and snap your neck. I need to change my mindset.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Last of Us 1 spoilers.

Hide contents

Someone on Reddit just point out Ellie's head wasn't shaved at the end of the game whilst they were literally about to perform surgery on her brain, and now that entire final section is ruined for me :lol:

Joel already used up all the scissors tbf.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Benji said:

Last of Us 1 spoilers.

Hide contents

Someone on Reddit just point out Ellie's head wasn't shaved at the end of the game whilst they were literally about to perform surgery on her brain, and now that entire final section is ruined for me :lol:

Spoiler

I mean, wasn't it more a dissection than a surgery? If she was dying anyways, what's a bit of hair going to do?

My memory is fuzzy since it's been a while, but I was reasonably sure that the whole point that Joel forsakes everything is because he couldn't allow Ellie to die?

Like I recall the point being that Joel was basically being selfish for his own reasons because he had started seeing her as a daughter, and he didnt want to give that up.

• Like 1

Spoiler

It's brain surgery, the cure was part of her brain, that's why she would have died. Hair isn't removed just for sanitary reasons, it's removed because hair is hella awkward and gets in the way, especially in something as delicate as brain surgery where despite the person dying as a result, you want to keep all tissue as undamaged as possible.

• Like 2

On 04/08/2023 at 10:18, Bobfoc said:

Bear in mind that I've seen several people say that it's a very tough game, even on the easiest difficulty setting.

I've seen many people say it's hard but you can also save scum with impunity.

I've not played Divinity, and I've not played D&D in decades. I'll probably check it out but my brand of difficulty in games is more built on trial & error with hilarious/frustrating consequences and I've heard this isn't a trial & error style game.

10 hours ago, damhausen said:

I've seen many people say it's hard but you can also save scum with impunity.

I've not played Divinity, and I've not played D&D in decades. I'll probably check it out but my brand of difficulty in games is more built on trial & error with hilarious/frustrating consequences and I've heard this isn't a trial & error style game.

It depends. If you're going to play it that way then you need to make sure you save every few minutes. I've learned this the hard way and gotten very frustrated several times when my autosave is far enough out that it screws up quite a bit of progress.

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

It sounds like maybe I don't want this game? :( I love the idea of it but I can get frustrated easy and if everyone is saying it's hard even on the easiest difficulty it might be too much for me

I don't know anyone who is actually playing it on easy though. I'm on medium and I think Ruki is too. I never go to the completely easy level of a game, or the hardest either because I like a challenge but also don't want to get too frustrating. I would think that if the easiest level is quite a bit easier than what I'm playing at, it shouldn't be too bad. The one thing I do wonder is whether the story is actually good enough to recommend it to you for just the game play.

So far the story feels somewhat empty and I'm not sure if it's because I'm only about 8 hours into it, or if it really is this empty.

I have read a few accounts from people playing on the easiest setting who are still really struggling. Part of it might be down to not being used to the D&D style, but it's worth noting that there isn't a stress-free mode that lets you play it like a Bioware RPG. Unless you're willing to put in a lot of time to learn all the mechanics and micromanaged every encounter, it's probably going to be a tough experience.

I assume many of the issues stem from low level DND which is always the most frustrating and generally least satisfying part of DND.

You're extremely squishy, you have only a few spells/feats you can use between rests, and you miss a lot of your attacks to boot.

I personally feel it's not until level 3-5 where you start things opening up a bit with a reasonable amount of things you can do in combat without getting two tapped by a mook mob.

• Like 1

I find it incredible just how much people complain about Dead By Daylight. I thought I've seen plenty of whiny posts in my day, but those folks just tend to take the cake. "Nerf this, nerf that, here is my stupid ass opinion nobody asked for". Fucking Christ. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick said:

I find it incredible just how much people complain about Dead By Daylight. I thought I've seen plenty of whiny posts in my day, but those folks just tend to take the cake. "Nerf this, nerf that, here is my stupid ass opinion nobody asked for". Fucking Christ. 

There are so many sore losers who play that game. Unless you let them win, you'll be considered toxic and/or a hacker. Turning off text chat is the first thing any new player should do.

Then you've got the people you mentioned, who will spend hours a day playing a game that they appear to hate. By all means, provide the developers with constructive feedback, but don't get so aggressive about such minor details.

15 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

There are so many sore losers who play that game. Unless you let them win, you'll be considered toxic and/or a hacker. Turning off text chat is the first thing any new player should do.

Then you've got the people you mentioned, who will spend hours a day playing a game that they appear to hate. By all means, provide the developers with constructive feedback, but don't get so aggressive about such minor details.

Oh I know they're sore losers. It's hillarious really. 

"YOU TUNNELED ME"

Um, no Dwight, I did not. I hooked you, went around to the generator that Claudette and Meg were working on since I have Discordance, chased them while Jake rescued and healed you, hooked Meg, smacked Claudette, ran across Jake and downed him since I have Hubris and he stunned me, watched Meg die as she tried to escape, found Claudette, hooked her, Jake made it out and saved Claudette but didn't heal so now he's dead, chased Claudette, put her on a hook, and then chased you when you tried to rescue her, but she died, I lost you when I found the hatch and closed it, and managed to get a lucky shot on you when you decided to teabag at the exit gate. You were literally the first and last person on the hook. 

"TUNNLER. UNINSTALL AND UNALIVE"

O-kay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1