General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

I play on an HDD currently and while it probably loads a little slower than it would on an SSD, I've not found anything that would make it unplayable. I just use the small loading time to make a quick trip to the bathroom or grab some water. That makes it sound like it takes longer but it's generally loaded before I even make it to either of those places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Thanks bud! I'm totally not stealing your idea and going with a tiefling bard - everything I've read says bards are fun.

I am having a blast as a bard!

4 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Thanks bud! I'm totally not stealing your idea and going with a tiefling bard - everything I've read says bards are fun.

I am having a blast as a bard!

• Like 1

Can someone recommend me something to play between now and Starfield? Nothing is really jumping out at me and I'm kinda spoiled for choices here. I have both Gamepass and whatever the best PS+ is called. I don't want to be too picky but maybe something I can finish in like 10-15 hours or less and is not too overly difficult please :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Can someone recommend me something to play between now and Starfield? Nothing is really jumping out at me and I'm kinda spoiled for choices here. I have both Gamepass and whatever the best PS+ is called. I don't want to be too picky but maybe something I can finish in like 10-15 hours or less and is not too overly difficult please :) 

I'm not sure if it's your sort of thing, but I've been enjoying Arcade Paradise lately. It's a game about running a launderette with some arcade machines in the back, with the main task being to expand the arcade and making money doing so. It's very light on management mechanics (you don't have to worry about wages, maintenance or anything like that) and there's a nice sense of satisfaction that comes from building up your business.

On 10/08/2023 at 09:26, Bobfoc said:

I'm not sure if it's your sort of thing, but I've been enjoying Arcade Paradise lately. It's a game about running a launderette with some arcade machines in the back, with the main task being to expand the arcade and making money doing so. It's very light on management mechanics (you don't have to worry about wages, maintenance or anything like that) and there's a nice sense of satisfaction that comes from building up your business.

I think I like this one! I've played the first couple days and ordered two arcade machines but like when do you actually get time to play them? :P All I've been able to do so far is the laundry and pick up all the trash these animals keep leaving on my nice clean floors! :angry: 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I think I like this one! I've played the first couple days and ordered two arcade machines but like when do you actually get time to play them? :P All I've been able to do so far is the laundry and pick up all the trash these animals keep leaving on my nice clean floors! :angry: 

You can unlock upgrades later on that slow down time and make less rubbish appear. The trick tends to be to fit in short sessions between laundry obligations, which is something that's easier to do as the game progresses.

There's also the option to ignore laundry altogether if you really want. You won't make as much money, but there's also no way to go bankrupt, so it's not a problem.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 15:18, Your Mom said:

Have you ever considered 

Spoiler

Euro Truck Simulator

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/08/2023 at 00:39, Bobfoc said:

Red Dead Redemption is coming to PS4, PS5 and Switch next week. It's a port, rather than a remaster. There's no mention of a PC version, which is a shame.

I’m all in on this. I’ve completed every version of this so far so I may as well keep it going. This saves me from having to unpack older consoles just to play it.  Not 100% sure yet but when the physical copy comes out(October?) I’ll likely pick that up as well.

Y’all know how I feel about games. I don’t care about anything except my enjoyment of it. 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 15:18, Your Mom said:

If horror games are your jam, I definitely recommend the Dark Pictures Anthology. Man of Medan is the first game in the collection. They're all sub-15 hour games with simple mechanics and multiple outcomes for a bit of fun. Made by the same people who did Until Dawn and The Quarry.

• Like 1

So I've only really just started playing Baldur's Gate 3 and I am already having party issues.

So far my lineup is my player character (a bard), Shadowheart, Gale and Astarion. I am fine with Shadowheart and Gale (I think, or is Wyll better than Gale?), but I really don't like Astarion's character so am thinking of swapping him out (probably for Karlach). However I am then worried that I won't have anyone to disarm traps or open chests. Bah! Decisions, decisions.

31 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

So I've only really just started playing Baldur's Gate 3 and I am already having party issues.

So far my lineup is my player character (a bard), Shadowheart, Gale and Astarion. I am fine with Shadowheart and Gale (I think, or is Wyll better than Gale?), but I really don't like Astarion's character so am thinking of swapping him out (probably for Karlach). However I am then worried that I won't have anyone to disarm traps or open chests. Bah! Decisions, decisions.

Bards can do quite well at disarming traps/chests, my character does it when Astarion is out of the party. I usually switch out the party members each long rest, just for variety. 

• Thanks 1

Man, Bauldur's Gate 3 has it's hooks in me something fierce. I am nearing 50ish hours played since release less than 2 weeks ago. I NEVER play a single game that much anymore. It's just so darn good. I'm thinking I'm nearly done Act 2 and just hit level 9 (out of 12)

Spoiler

I am in the Mindflayer Colony in Moonrise Tower, about to probably go do another boss fight. Found Wyll's devil patron locked up, and she gave me a fancy rapier that goes well with my bard (+1 to spell DC? Hell yes). 

A big problem though... I've run out of thieves tools. And the two merchants currently available to me have 0. And the treasure chest from the last big boss I fought is locked. Thankfully there is some cheese you can do...

Spoiler

With a high strength character you can pick up the chest, and once it's in your inventory, send it to camp. Then you can easily unlock them once you find some tools. I think I have 3 or 4 chests waiting to be unlocked.

Once I finish the game, I can see myself jumping right back into it doing an evil/dark urge run with a custom party just to see how different it is (and try the different character classes)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I tried to play Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Game Pass and I can't connect to a match. It looks like a game that would be more fun in private matches than with strangers on voice chat.

Most games tend to be that way if not all.

19 hours ago, damhausen said:

I really hope the console port of BG3 lives up to what's on the PC. I'm not in the market to buy or build a new gaming PC anytime soon, especially to play just one game.

I reckon it will and it's going to fulfil my desire to fit in D&D this summer.

Do we make a dedicated Baldur's Gate thread when it comes out for Playstation?   I got the deluxe edition for early access, so I'm pretty hyped up now.

• Like 2

I've been slowly chipping away at Elden Ring for over a year. I've been grinding to kingdom come and looking up overpowered builds because that's the only way I can get anywhere.

I still think I'd prefer it if it had an easier difficulty setting or slider. A big part of these games might be overcoming challenges, but what constitutes a challenge will differ drastically according to the reflexes and skill level of the player. I don't see why allowing people to tailor the difficulty to their own preferences should be such a taboo.

Besides, challenge isn't the only thing Elden Ring has going for it. What I enjoy most is the scope it has for exploration and discovery - the knowledge that you can wander off in any direction and quickly find something to do. It's a shame that such a well developed open world is inaccessible to anyone without the gaming proficiency (or time to grind) it requires.

• Like 4