General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

5 hours ago, apsham said:

I need to get around to the demo to see if I'm going to pick it up. I keep confusing myself and thinking that this was the one that is heavily Suikoden inspired, and I need to break that perception.

Eiyuden Chronicles is the one you’re thinking of, can’t wait for Suikoden 1 and 2 on the Switch. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, apsham said:

I need to get around to the demo to see if I'm going to pick it up. I keep confusing myself and thinking that this was the one that is heavily Suikoden inspired, and I need to break that perception.

The demo was really good and sold me on it. Double-y so because it's on Gamepass and PS+!

44 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Eiyuden Chronicles is the one you’re thinking of, can’t wait for Suikoden 1 and 2 on the Switch. 

I am really looking forward to Eiyuden Chronicles, having never played a Suikoden game. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ruki said:

The demo was really good and sold me on it. Double-y so because it's on Gamepass and PS+!

I am really looking forward to Eiyuden Chronicles, having never played a Suikoden game. 

You need to play Suikoden II, everyone needs to bear witness to Luca Blight one of the greatest JRPG villains ever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2023 at 09:34, Benji said:

Going through a period where I really just can't get into any game. Even stuff I know I would like, I just can't get into. Hate this feeling.

On 30/08/2023 at 10:15, Captain Kirk said:

Tends to be followed by getting right in to a game and having no time to play it.

Gaming's two greatest problem's. 

Been feeling this myself lately. Nothing kind of is hitting out to play, or seemingly trying to enjoy gaming.  Although playing TEW, FIFA and Surving The Aftermath regularly at least once a week. 

Seem to go in and out of these game patterns. Nothing really much has sparked the same joy, or at least a pull me in factor. Often a game will do and I will consume it until I get bored of it, long after I've become bored of it and probably over done it with it

yet. Just because it is a sense of familiarity I will often just play the same games these day's  This might be to how sometimes video screen's, option's and menu settings seem to need longer to set up, or just seem to overwhelm the brain. 

AEW's recent release is one I do seem to be picking back up again and again, but this is probably just to some nostalgia it might fill and it is easy to set up to burn a few hour's away. 

Stan Marsh comes to mind of when you get older thing's lose the sparkle. I often want to play game's and enjoy how the industry has evolved and all sorts that can be achieved and how stuff looks these day's. Yet. I find myself behind the time's and stuck in the past generation of consoles.

I think younger me was more into it all, more than I am now. It's why I prefer TEW if I have time for gaming. 

• Like 1

Unity announced yesterday that it plans to charge game developers and distributors monthly fees for every user who installs their games if they made at least $200,000 in revenue. The rule would extend to services like Game Pass and even free demos. In theory, a user could delete and reinstall a game over and over again just to force the relevant parties to give more money to Unity.

Predictably, this has been a PR disaster and developers are very unhappy. I'd be amazed if they stuck to the plan because it would mean nobody would bother to use the Unity Engine any more.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Unity announced yesterday that it plans to charge game developers and distributors monthly fees for every user who installs their games if they made at least $200,000 in revenue. The rule would extend to services like Game Pass and even free demos. In theory, a user could delete and reinstall a game over and over again just to force the relevant parties to give more money to Unity.

Predictably, this has been a PR disaster and developers are very unhappy. I'd be amazed if they stuck to the plan because it would mean nobody would bother to use the Unity Engine any more.

Would it not be every individual user, rather than one user 10 times?

Awful decision anyway.

They've said that the same user installing the game on multiple operating systems or consoles would count as separate instances, so it's definitely open to a lot of abuse.

Whatever the case, it would still be possible for a group of people angry at a game for having preferred pronouns or whatever else to install a free demo just to force the developers to lose more money. The kind of people who like to support review bombing or DDOS attacks would have a field day.

As an update, Unity has changed its policy to charge only for the first installation, avoiding the original possibility for users to constantly install and delete games to rack up the developer costs. However, installations on different operating systems and consoles would still count as separate instances, and so the fee would be charged multiple times.

Unity's current CEO is John Riccitiello, the former EA boss who wanted to charge users for in-game ammunition in Battlefield games. He had that idea back in 2011, so you can probably say he was one of the driving forces behind the exploitative microtransaction model some games use today.

29 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

However, installations on different operating systems and consoles would still count as separate instances, and so the fee would be charged multiple times.

So basically all those same malicious people would have to do is set up a script that sets up a Windows or Linux VM, which proceeds to install a copy of the unity game, and then deletes the VM afterwards... Then automate that process to run ad nauseum.

It fixes nothing because the people that would be petty enough to spite a company like that would already go through some length to make it happen.

The whole thing reeks, and I honestly doubt it sees the light of day. Mainly concerning the retroactive changing of terms and conditions, because by their claims they could effectively charge the developers of a 10 year old game for installs because back then they in good faith used Unity because they wouldn't be charged. It'd effectively be a decades long Bait and Switch, there's no way that would hold up.

Both small and mid level developers are also apparently lining up a class action lawsuit over that whole thing.

On top of this shit sandwich, multiple executives including Riccitiello himself have been selling their shares in the days leading up to this announcement.

• Like 1

Cult of the Lamb devs are stating that they're going to stop selling the game on January 1st, so buy it while you can. In the short term, Unity has a lot of power here over games that are almost completed or too deep into development to switch now (Hollow Knight was on Unity, fucking hell - if Silksong is as well...) but devs and publishers are gonna have to take a hard stance on this one, because in the long term they'd be the ones with the power to say fuck this, we're moving to another platform.