General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

Anyone played Chants of Senaar?

YouTube recommended this review to me and I picked it up immediately. Really chill puzzle game. My wife and I just completed 'level one'. It's really low pressure but it makes you feel smart when you get something right.

You basically just walk around deciphering languages from context clues, but it's very fun.

☦️㊗️

• Like 1

On 20/09/2023 at 14:19, King Ellis said:

@probablyoliver Are you on the Lies of P train? I know Bloodborne is your jam and this, at least from the snippets of footage I've seen since it was first teased, seems to be the 'you can copy my homework but don't make it obvious' of Bloodborne.

My new phone contract started yesterday, which means I got gamepass back yesterday, hurrah!

Played up to an including the first boss last night. It's really good but I also don't know if it's going to get its hooks in me or if I'm going to stick with it. It's definitely a Bloodborne cover album, and whilst I don't inherently have any major issue with that, it does mean I'm scrutinizing every aspect of it. It's very much a case of if you're going to take a run at the King, you better not miss, because I found myself just wishing I was playing Bloodborne the entire time I was playing it.

I might keep going, but I've also just started Cyberpunk, Starfield is calling out to me, Spider-Man and Alan Wake are weeks away and I still haven't finished Armoured Core, Jedi Survivor or Tears of the Kingdom.

This year has been an absolute embarrassment of riches.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I tried out the free demo of The Lamplighters League and enjoyed it. The reviews are all saying that the game is packed full of technical issues at launch, which is sad because I think it's a very solid concept in and of itself. Maybe it will be one to keep an eye on for later.

I really like the theme and concept behind it. It's on gamepass, so I am gonna be playing it for sure. 

On 24/09/2023 at 20:29, K said:

Anyone played Chants of Senaar?

YouTube recommended this review to me and I picked it up immediately. Really chill puzzle game. My wife and I just completed 'level one'. It's really low pressure but it makes you feel smart when you get something right.

You basically just walk around deciphering languages from context clues, but it's very fun.

☦️㊗️

Finished this last night. Really enjoyed it. Definitely recommend it. 

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Benji said:

Watching the Hogfather TV mini from the 00s and it really makes me wish that the Discworld games were available on Steam.

Fwiw, it seems to be abandonware, so you can find it on the internet.

Honestly surprising no party has bought the rights to the game for a release on GOG.

• Thanks 1

Just found out there was a new Front Office Football in development, a few years ago Jim had said he wouldn't develop anymore because he signed a contract with ootp development. But apparently he picked up his project, and has redesigned the UI for a (rd. More) modern game.

On top of all that, he released the game last night, so I guess I now know what I'm going to be messing with later today.

For the people that don't know, the Front Office Football franchise is generally regarded as the best Gridiron management sim, with 8 having released 7 years ago, and it being the basis of many online leagues that have been running since the 90s.

The new version won't feature MP yet, so fof8 will stay relevant for the time being in that regard, but I am still excited to play 9.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2633170/Front_Office_Football_Nine/

On 30/10/2023 at 11:07, Benji said:

Watching the Hogfather TV mini from the 00s and it really makes me wish that the Discworld games were available on Steam.

If Steam isn't a dealbreaker, the first one is one Zomb's Lair - https://www.zombs-lair.com/discworld - I imagine you can find 2 and Noir somewhere too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JasonM said:

Just found out there was a new Front Office Football in development, a few years ago Jim had said he wouldn't develop anymore because he signed a contract with ootp development. But apparently he picked up his project, and has redesigned the UI for a (rd. More) modern game.

On top of all that, he released the game last night, so I guess I now know what I'm going to be messing with later today.

For the people that don't know, the Front Office Football franchise is generally regarded as the best Gridiron management sim, with 8 having released 7 years ago, and it being the basis of many online leagues that have been running since the 90s.

The new version won't feature MP yet, so fof8 will stay relevant for the time being in that regard, but I am still excited to play 9.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2633170/Front_Office_Football_Nine/

Does it have a GM Mode like in OOTP? I find that to be an interesting way to play those games.