General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

Tried creating a 'S.E.E.S.' squad in Unicorn Overlord using the characters with the same VAs as those of Yukari, Fuuka, Mitsuru and Akihiko from Persona 3 Reload.

The squad is garbage. Never do this. 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Tried creating a 'S.E.E.S.' squad in Unicorn Overlord using the characters with the same VAs as those of Yukari, Fuuka, Mitsuru and Akihiko from Persona 3 Reload.

The squad is garbage. Never do this. 😂

Ooo. Which characters do they voice?

I'm about 7 hours in right now and enjoying it. About to unlock the witch character.

50 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Ooo. Which characters do they voice?

I'm about 7 hours in right now and enjoying it. About to unlock the witch character.

Heather Gonzalez (Yukari) = Chloe

Allegrs Clark (Mitsuru) = Liza (and also the dead queen Ilenia, because OF COURSE)

Suzie Yeung (Fuuka) = Primm

Alejandro Saab (Akihiko) = Ithilion

You won't have the latter three yet. The last one I unlocked was Ithilion at around Lv18-20. Something about the way he yells "DIE!" made me think "...that's Akihiko" (😂) and I went on this VA investigation thereafter.

Dawn. M. Bennett (Aigis) also voices a character called Amalia, who is a) not going to be available as a party member for a LOT longer, and b) the total opposite of Aigis' voice anyway.

• Like 1

Unicorn Overlords knew what they were doing when they made this class....

Spoiler

image.png

Also, a bit of a difficulty spike when you try to fight a battle 4 levels higher than you. I was caught off guard that they would use Valor skills to mess with me. And I JUST realized that your rangers/healers/magic users need to be the party leader to provide support. 

Vanillaware strike me as a very horny bunch with their character designs in general. In 13 Sentinels this was restricted to one character, but in UO good lord they've really gone for it.

• Like 2

Name is beyond generic but this looks pretty good, lived up to how interested I was in the premise. Hopefully it sticks the landing, this is exactly the kind of corners of canon I want Marvel games to play with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Critics seem to be raving about Dragon's Dogma 2, with a few calling it a Game of the Year contender.

Got it downloaded and eagerly awaiting tomorrow night.

Possibly. They warn you against doing it and there is the option to turn back or carry on. I've never selected 'carry on' so I don't know what that does.

It would strike me as odd to let you go through with it given the other story elements though.

On 20/03/2024 at 12:52, Bobfoc said:

Critics seem to be raving about Dragon's Dogma 2, with a few calling it a Game of the Year contender.

I’m having a blast with it.  On console so I can’t speak for PC performance issues but it’s running fine for me.  Can’t believe how overblown the criticisms of microtransactions in it are; literally only selling stuff that can be easily acquired in game.  It’s not pushed in the game itself at all, it’s only stuff available on the PlayStation store.

Combat is so much fun.  With the thief you can throw a rope at enemies and pull them towards you.  While they are flying through the air, an archer in your party might shoot them, or if you pull them past a warrior, he’ll just swing his sword and kill them as they pass by.   You can also just pick up smaller enemies and chuck them at other enemies, or walls, or into the water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

I’m having a blast with it.  On console so I can’t speak for PC performance issues but it’s running fine for me.  Can’t believe how overblown the criticisms of microtransactions in it are; literally only selling stuff that can be easily acquired in game.  It’s not pushed in the game itself at all, it’s only stuff available on the PlayStation store.

Combat is so much fun.  With the thief you can throw a rope at enemies and pull them towards you.  While they are flying through the air, an archer in your party might shoot them, or if you pull them past a warrior, he’ll just swing his sword and kill them as they pass by.   You can also just pick up smaller enemies and chuck them at other enemies, or walls, or into the water.

Yeah the micro-transaction stuff is MASSIVELY overblown. Almost all of the bigger Capcom games have had this for years - it's basically paid for convience when it comes to a lot of stuff, there at a very minor cost for people who don't want to or can't put the time in for certain things, and even then - yeah, the stuff is very easily earned in game.

You don't really need to have played the first game, naw - the concept of what an Arisen (the main character) is, is kind of retreaded here. It's not like the original game had a really ground breaking story either to be fair. It's mostly all just really nice set dressing for the sandbox playground that the game puts you in.

Been having a great time on PS5 as well.

Regardless of how "necessary" the microtransactions are, it's still what I'd consider to be scummy practice that deserves a push-back from consumers. The game costs £70/$70 already, and that's not considering the Digital Deluxe version for an extra tenner. With games having their biggest audience and profit margins ever, adding microtransactions of any kind on top of that is just greedy.

• Like 5