General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

Also, if people haven't given Judgement or Lost Judgement a try, strongly recommend them! Takes place in the same cities as Yakuza, both were great games. 

I've just bought Lost Judgement as it was on sale, but I know Judgement is the first game so I'm waiting for that to be on sale as well before I play Lost Judgement.

11 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Didn't love who the final enemy ended up being though I get that there's a sort of

Hide contents

Kiryu vs. kind of a fragmented mirror version of himself when he was younger thing going on with Aizawa.

Spoiler

I honestly couldn't remember who it was when they met with Saejima in the Colosseum, but that could be because I had stopped playing the game for a long time between Kiryu's adventures as a taxi driver and completing Saejima's interminable prison/hunting stuff.

Him being a lacklustre main antagonist isn't helped by him getting defeated by another protagonist in the previous chapter, no idea what the thought behind that was.

• Like 2

Rooster Teeth shutting down after 21 years

I was never really into their stuff outside of the early years of RvB, I still have some of those early episodes and skits memorized. Just RVB alone feels like it had a massive impact, not just as a pioneering force of machinima in the 'early internet days' of the 00's but on Halo itself, I remember those guys getting easter egg cameos in Halo 3 and Griffball being incorporated into the games.

I was a ScrewAttack guy back in the day which got absorbed into RT but there still some of those guys there to this day, like Chad just tweeted that it's been like 15 years for him between the different companies and restructures so it goes to show what a big part of the internet culture it's been in our lives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh yeah, I was subbed when he first popped up again on YouTube and was doing interviews with people like AVGN, Scott the Woz and Tommy Tallarico (as seen in that one Hbomb video). Then he started doing daily podcasts with his brother which I couldn't keep up with but whatever. Then he made a big song and dance about bringing back SideScrollers which coincided with a HARD pivot to the right, at which point I jettisoned that subscription into the sun.

I did look the other day actually and saw he had Dean Cain on which about sums that up.

On 06/03/2024 at 02:52, Chris2K said:

I've just bought Lost Judgement as it was on sale, but I know Judgement is the first game so I'm waiting for that to be on sale as well before I play Lost Judgement.

Hide contents

I honestly couldn't remember who it was when they met with Saejima in the Colosseum, but that could be because I had stopped playing the game for a long time between Kiryu's adventures as a taxi driver and completing Saejima's interminable prison/hunting stuff.

Him being a lacklustre main antagonist isn't helped by him getting defeated by another protagonist in the previous chapter, no idea what the thought behind that was.

Spoiler

I more or less remembered who Aizawa was but yeah, I had a similar "wait, what happened in the Kiryu arc again?" feeling when all that stuff started coming up because the Taiga arc took me like two and a half months to get through. I forgot that the corporate suit guy who tried to usurp Daigo had already gotten killed by the end of it so I kept expecting him to come back until like partway through Shinada's portion of the game.

Yakuza does tend to operate under "you beat this guy but now you have to beat him again and he's stronger! Because of reasons!" logic a lot so I guess my headcanon excuse for Aizawa getting beat by Taiga a lot more easily is a) he's been through a lot of fights in the Colosseum and b) he's young and getting stronger, or something. 

And yeah, to Ruki's point I very much intend to keep an eye out for a cheap copy of Judgment this year so I can play it next year after Yakuza 6.

On a slightly related YouTube topic, my favourite video game YouTubers Outside XBox/Outside Xtra are doubling down on their D&D content (believed to be because they get paid independently from the Gamer Network for D&D videos), so their video game content has become gradually less and less, to the extent it's now 1 list video a week and 1 live stream a month (if any) between the two channels, with the occasional video sponsored by the game they're playing.

It's a real shame that they seem to be moving on, particularly if, like me, you're not interested in D&D, but it's their decision at the end of the day and nothing lasts forever.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Unicorn Overlord is getting very positive reviews. It seems that this year has already been stellar for the kind of games I like.

I ordered a copy off of Amazon because I had some giftcards from doing surveys. What I played of the demo was really enjoyable, and it's very stylish. Vanillawear make really cool games. 

Sadly, I still have to finish off Persona 3 and Final Fantasy. And I haven't even started Infinite Wealth yet. 

On 06/03/2024 at 18:37, King Ellis said:

Rooster Teeth shutting down after 21 years

I was never really into their stuff outside of the early years of RvB, I still have some of those early episodes and skits memorized. Just RVB alone feels like it had a massive impact, not just as a pioneering force of machinima in the 'early internet days' of the 00's but on Halo itself, I remember those guys getting easter egg cameos in Halo 3 and Griffball being incorporated into the games.

I was a ScrewAttack guy back in the day which got absorbed into RT but there still some of those guys there to this day, like Chad just tweeted that it's been like 15 years for him between the different companies and restructures so it goes to show what a big part of the internet culture it's been in our lives.

There's a livestream going on right now explaining the shutdown and how they found out:

And a watch thread for people who'd rather read that. 

Am about 12 hours into Unicorn Overlord and enjoying it thus far. The story started off ultra-generic but they're slowly building more elements into it (my hope is that it ends up doing in a Fantasy setting what 13 Sentinels did in a Sci-fi setting: smushing virtually every different trope the genre has into one mad clusterfuck). As for the gameplay, the focus on squad-building rather than direct fighting is an interesting change, though I doubt I'll ever get very good at it.

Probably the element that is most alien for me (coming from a predominantly FF/Persona JRPG background) is the sheer volume of characters with their own little storyline strands that flit in and out, rather than getting a huge focused arc on any one in particular. I presume this is what the Fire Emblem series is like, though I've never played it?

You get 20-30 characters flung at you (so far) and with each new person it's like "oh yes I was one in the same cohort as that other person and there's also my sibling somewhere else, maybe that sounds interesting to you but I'm now going to vanish into the masses and it's the whims of fate that will dictate if you receive further development on this". That, multiplied a dozen times over, is... I dunno, I feel like I'm having to train myself to be mostly indifferent to them or else I'd get frustrated.

5 hours ago, apsham said:

IT IS!? Ahh god, I haven't even started Unicorn Overlord yet.

I installed it yesterday and then I saw that No More Heroes 3 was released on Gamepass. Never played a NMH game, but I always dug the vibe. 

Edit: Tried NMH3, seems line a fine game! Love the 8-bit arcade menu and HUD and overall asthetic, but don't think I'll be playing too much of it. They also released Control Ultimate Edition. I've heard good things about that game!

Am now nearly 30 hours into UO and this is a very addictive game. You will really suffer from "I should stop? Okay but just this one thing first" syndrome.

• Like 2