General Gaming Thread 2024

Ruki

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Regardless of how "necessary" the microtransactions are, it's still what I'd consider to be scummy practice that deserves a push-back from consumers. The game costs £70/$70 already, and that's not considering the Digital Deluxe version for an extra tenner. With games having their biggest audience and profit margins ever, adding microtransactions of any kind on top of that is just greedy.

I just can't imagine getting remotely worked up about the game giving people the option to buy items you can find in game, extremely easily, for free.  This is nothing compared to the money grubbing capitalistic hellscape that is NBA2K

• Like 1

It's just the principle for me. While it's fortunate that the microtransactions are clearly very unnecessary to play the game, it underlines how they don't need to exist at all. They could have avoided negative press by not bothering to have them.

I'm liking Unicorn Overlord a lot, but oh man, there are TOO MANY characters you get! I just did a fight (and a post fight) where I got 4 new characters to somehow slip into my army. I also realized one of my units was not performing well, and one was performing TOO well (like 200+ damage), so I changed things around.

Spoiler

Alain-Aubin-Melisandre-Scarlett (Main character with the main female protagonist, a flirty fighter and a guy)

Lex-Nina-Aramis-Chole (Lex and Chole need to be together. Nina can deal with tanks and Aramis can deal with rogues I think)

Hodrick-Yahna-Primm-Auch (Super tank with the squishy mages. Yahna has an item that powers up Auch too)

Bruno-Mordon-Selvie-Sharon (Bruno and Mordon will crush everything, Sharon will keep them alive, and Selvie will de-buff)

Adel-Berengaria-Travis-NPC (Gotta keep the dramatic siblings together! I feel like this group has a good chance of being pretty tanky and pretty hurty)

Berenice-Clive-Monica-Rolf (Can you tell I put the story-characters together. Clive and Monica were formerly engaged. Can love bloom on the battlefield?! No idea how this is gonna do)

Fran-Renault-Miriam-NPC (can you tell I started running out of room? They give you too many front-line fighters, not enough back line. NO idea what this is going to do. I imagine it will suck)

Colm-Virginia-Leah-NPC (Virginia and Leah gotta go together. Colm kinda just ended up there, but I think he will do ok. And then I have an NPC Soldier in the back)

Josef-Ochlys-Kitra (Just unlocked this group so I could place some units. Josef is level 20 so this group is instantly good. But I feel like Ochlys deserves better)

It's a messy mish-mash. @stokeriño, do you have any favorite groupings?

I think my downfall is feeling that every group needs a healer. 

@Ruki Much like you, my teams have evolved quite arbitrarily and the good ones have kind of fallen together by accident. I tinker occasionally, but once a team 'works' I tend not to mess with it... until it stops working and suddenly falls several levels behind. I have a couple of those. :shifty: 

(There is a storyline mission where four characters run off together and you're sent straight into battle without them. This gutted four of my different teams and I had to do a massive reorg on the fly... But eventually the new ones worked, so I didn't change them back!)

Anyway, here are my teams. Obviously there will be several names and job classes you don't recognise since I'm around Lv30 right now...

Spoiler

Teams that are good and that I use actually (Cavalry led for speed)

Alain [High Lord] / Yunifi [Snow Ranger]
Clive [Great Knight] / Melisandre [Swordmaster] / Auch [Warlock]

Sometimes suffers a bit from having no healer, but as a pure damage dealer with Alain tanking the front line (and he can sometimes heal himself), it's insane. Auch is occasionally a weak link, but his magic offence is important.

NPC [Rogue]
Rosalinde [Elven Auger] / Monica [Sainted Knight] / Aramis [Swordmaster]

An absolute troll of a squad, as anything with a thief/rogue in the front line tends to be. Swordmasters like Aramis, Leah  and Melisandre are brutal at just deleting non-armoured dodgy units like thieves, while Rosalinde has heavy magic attacks. The Rogue dances like the silly little guy he is, and blinding attacks they learn either at Lv25 or Lv30 (I forget) are fantastic.

Virginia [Valkyria]
Miriam [Sainted Knight] / Kitra [Breaker] / Fran [Gryphon Master]

The leadership of this one will switch between Miriam and Fran depending on whether I want ground speed or flying ability. Virginia is an absolute tank and deals plenty damage too. The fact that a couple of the back line members can do all-row or all-column attacks makes this devastating. Miriam's healing abilities also help it stay resilient.

Teams that are good and I use actually (but are slow because not everyone can have a horse)

Travis [Rogue] / Berengaria [Dark Marquess]
Yahna [Sorceress] / Ithilion [Elven Fencer] / Scarlett [High Priestess]

Yes they are siblings, but the Travis/Ren combo on the front line is also virtually bulletproof, especially when Ren gets some more of her defensive abilities unlocked. Add Scarlett in to heal, and Yahna countering debuffs, and this squad is basically never dying. Am not super convinced by Ithilion because I just want a super high magic damage dealer in his spot, and he's just... fine... in that regard. Ren probably remains the main damage dealer just because she seems to have 100 pursuit attacks.

NPC [Rogue] / Lex [Vanguard]
Primm [Bishop] / Celeste [Gryphon Master] / Liza [Shieldshooter]

This team was a problem child for SO LONG and I tinkered with in endlessly. In the end it took hiring *another* NPC thief/rogue to give it a chance. Not the heaviest damage dealers but a decent compromise that can basically acts as a B-team to the one led by Travis.

Bertrand [Werebear] / NPC [Viking]
Rolf [Sniper] / Leah [Swordsmaster] / Ridiel [Elven Archer]

Have actually only just got Bertrand so no idea how he works, but apparently he's a tank. This squad is designed to obliterate non-armoured/irritatingly evasive enemies - hence the double archers plus swordmaster combo. My hope is that adding Bertrand with his giant hammer will also help them take down armoured enemies. You'll note how all the NPCs I hired are front liners because there is such a dearth of good tanks/rogues in the real characters you get.

Teams that were good once but actually now maybe not

NPC [Vanguard]
Lhinalagos [Elven Archer] / Hilda [Wyvern Master] / Tatiana [Bishop]

This was invented as the flying B-team, behind Fran's team. It's mostly competent but occasionally poor, and the fact I need a bishop covering up its weaknesses means it has less offensive power in the trade-off. Has fallen 6 levels behind and may need a rework.

Hodrick [Hoplite]
Aubin [Housecarl] / Magellan [Sellswords] / Josef [Paladin]

You can sort of tell this is an early game squad (Magellan subbed in a little later). I think I got into the habit of trying not to use it often back when Josef was OP and it was better to give EXP to other teams. I don't especially like Sellswords and Housecarls either, and now this team is 10 levels behind... Either needs urgent surgery or scrapping entirely.

Colm [Vanguard]
Gloucester [Dark Knight] / Chloe [Sergeant] / Renault [Great Knight]

For a short while this was great. Colm was the tank. Renault and Gloucester were dual cavalry damage-dealing machines and Chloe was a utility as a minor healer/able to javelin flying enemies/etc. However I think flying enemies then became way too prolific and this squad wasn't clever enough to cope. Is now 7 levels behind and I think needs rethinking from scratch.

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I guess playing what you're enjoying the most matters but it still feels weird to me that I have both the new Final Fantasy and Alan Wake 2 sitting here and yet I'm playing Resident Evil 2 remake instead :lol: 

I had to take a break from Rebirth and was playing the Uncharted Collection. 😂

There is a plan of actiion to try and preserve games that would die when the companies behind them end their support, it's mainly focused on games as a live service, so when they shut down the servers it kills the game, there is a website StopKillingGames.com that goes into the details and includes how you can take action.

And here is a video explaining everything.

• Like 1

Oh no! I have a dilemma in Unicorn Overlord now. I am nearing the point where I can expand the unit sizes to 5, but that costs 200 honor. But I like promoting my units which also requires honor!

• Like 1

The real question is whether for your first 5 unit squad you pick your Super Best Now It's Even Better It Will Destroy Everything squad... or your Damn Guys You Suck A Bit You Need A 5th Person For Help squad.

3 hours ago, stokeriño said:

The real question is whether for your first 5 unit squad you pick your Super Best Now It's Even Better It Will Destroy Everything squad... or your Damn Guys You Suck A Bit You Need A 5th Person For Help squad.

Probably gonna go to my mid (but not bad)-battlefield healer squad. They WERE wrecking shop during the last chapter of the game, now they are struggling to keep up. 

Edit: and just got 3 new characters. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR YOU.

• Like 1

BAFTA have done a poll to find the Top 20 most iconic video game characters, and I have issues, despite the fact that it was a poll of 4000 people and therefore has no actual meaning other than the creation of this list.

The Most Iconic Video Games Characters of All Time (ranked in order of votes received):

1. Quote

1. Lara Croft, Tomb Raider 
      First introduced to the world in 1996 in Tomb Raider for the Sega Saturn, Lara Croft has appeared in over 15 games, three films, multiple novelisations and comic book adaptations, and an upcoming Netflix animated series.

2. Mario, Super Mario 
      One of the most senior characters on this list, Mario was created in 1981 – not as the star of his own series, but as a player character in the first instalment in the Donkey Kong series. From humble beginnings, he has appeared in over 200 video games, two films, and numerous other multimedia adaptations. 

3. Agent 47, Hitman 
      A genetically-enhanced clone with a penchant for murder, Agent 47 made his video game debut in 2000’s Hitman: Codename 47. Since then, he’s killed his way across screens both big and small, appearing in over ten games, two novelisations, and two live-action film adaptations.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 
      Sonic the Hedgehog sprinted his way into the hearts and minds of fans worldwide in 1991 as the star of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis. He has appeared in over 100 video games as both a main character and supporting cast, as well as starring in several TV shows and two films, with a third slated for release in late 2024.

5. Sackboy, LittleBigPlanet 
      One of the most customisable characters on this list, Sackboy made his video game debut in 2008 as the star of Sony’s LittleBigPlanet to instant critical acclaim. He’s since starred in all six LittleBigPlanet mainline games, as well as making an appearance in numerous other game franchises as everything from a playable character to an adorable easter egg.

6. Pac-Man, Pac-Man 
      This little yellow hockey puck has appeared in over 50 games and has made appearances in innumerable other trans-media properties. 

7. Link, The Legend of Zelda 
      The silent protagonist of the Legend of Zelda franchise, Link has appeared in 20 games in the series, as well as starring in his own animated series and multiple comic book and manga adaptations.

8. Master Chief, HALO 
      Full name Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, this Spartan super-soldier appears in six games in the HALO franchise. He appears as the main character in three of the 19 HALO novels, as well as in the 2012 film Halo 4: Forward Until Dawn and the 2022 HALO television series.

9. Kratos, God of War 
      From murder-hungry Spartan warrior to protective parent, Kratos has appeared in eight games in the God of War franchise. He’s also made appearances in two comic series, three novels, and in several games outside the God of War franchise.

10. Shadowheart, Baldur’s Gate 3
      One of the youngest characters on this list in terms of release date, Shadowheart charmed her way into the hearts of players worldwide with the release of 2023’s Baldur’s Gate 3.

11. Arthur Morgan, Red Dead Redemption 2 
      The protagonist of 2018’s Red Dead Redemption 2, Arthur Morgan is one of the few characters on this list to only appear in a single game.

12. Pikachu, Pokémon 
      The only Pokémon to appear on this list, Pikachu has appeared in over 100 properties across screens both big and small, as well as making appearances in multiple comic books and manga.

13. Steve, Minecraft 
      The iconic player character from 2011’s Minecraft (the best-selling video game of all time as of 2024), Steve has also made appearances in four other games including the Minecraft spinoff Minecraft Dungeons

14. Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid 
      Debuting in 1987’s Metal Gear, Solid Snake (real name David) is a stealthy super-spy who’s appeared in over ten games in the Metal Gear franchise, as well as in multiple novelisations of the game series.

15. Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 
      Introduced to the world in 1996’s Crash Bandicoot, this genetically enhanced marsupial has appeared in 20+ video games throughout his lifespan.

16. Cloud Strife, Final Fantasy VII
      A mercenary and man of few words, Cloud Strife has made 30+ appearances in both video games and wider media properties since his video game debut as the protagonist of 1997’s Final Fantasy VII.

17. Astarion, Baldur’s Gate 3 
      Much like his fellow party member Shadowheart, Astarion’s rogueish charms have made him a fan favourite since his appearance in 2023’s Baldur’s Gate 3.

18. Kazuma Kiryu, Yakuza 
      A gruff former Yakuza mobster, Kazuma Kiryu has appeared in ten games in the Yakuza/Like a Dragon franchise, as well as starring in multiple film adaptations and a stage play of the franchise.

19. Ellie Williams, The Last of Us 
      Best-known as the star of 2013’s The Last of Us, Ellie Williams actually did not make her first appearance in the game. The world’s first introduction to the bad-mouthed teenager was in The Last of Us: American Dreams, a four-issue comic book series that served as a prequel to the game. She’s since starred in sequels and DLC for the The Last of Us franchise, as well as the 2023 TV adaptation of the game.

20. Nathan Drake, Uncharted 
      The gentleman explorer with a penchant for violence, Nathan Drake stars in six games in the Uncharted franchise, as well as multiple comic book series and a live-action film adaptation.

Firstly, Mario is, and always will be, #1. This is undeniable.

Secondly, I love Agent 47, and I've never played a Sonic game, but he shouldn't be ahead of Sonic.

Thirdly, I love Arthur Morgan, but he's been in literally one game and shouldn't be ahead of Pikachu (who should be top 5)

Fourthly, I am very glad to see that Kiryu got in there, it speaks for the remarkable rise of the Yakuza/LAD franchise in the UK.

Lastly, Sackboy being as high as #5 is perhaps the most ridiculous part of all of this.

• Like 3

and here’s a list of best characters from games that aren’t crap:

1. The priest from age of empires 

2. John Motson from all the FIFA games that had John motson

3. Tonka Joe

4. The player avatar in Euro Truck Simulator

5. The guy wearing leather and spikes from Guitar Hero

6. The terrorist from Airline Tycoon

7. Will.i.am from the Urbz

8. Tintin from Tintin in Tibet

9. The Pope from Castles: Siege and Conquest 

10. The ATC voice from Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Like 8

Seems hard to justify most of that list as "iconic". To me, that means instantly recognisable and symbolic of its game or franchise - from that list, I'd go:

1. Mario
2. Pac-Man
3. Pikachu
4. Sonic
5. Lara Croft
6. Minecraft Steve
7. Solid Snake

And then you could make a convincing argument for Crash Bandicoot, Link, Master Chief and to some extent Agent 47, Cloud Strife and Kratos, depending on your audience.

Nothing screams "recency bias" more than a list of "most iconic characters of all time" including two characters from a game that came out less than twelve months ago.

• Like 4

I love Arthur Morgan and Red Dead as much as the next person, but he isn't even the most iconic character in that series. John Marston for life.

Ultimately it's just a vote held by Bafta, it means nothing. The write-ups essentially just aggregating how many games these characters have been in is super dull, too.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

and here’s a list of best characters from games that aren’t crap:

1. The priest from age of empires 

wololo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Really enjoying Unicorn Overlord (I should, I have like 40-50 hours in it). But I am hitting a point where a bunch of the fights are quite difficult! Or my squads are just poorly optimized (even though they've worked for so long). 

• Like 2

So this kind of came out of left field for me, friend lent me a copy of Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League...

And I kind of fucking love it? It's fun as all hell to play in terms of the different ways you traverse the city, missions are bite sized and feel rewarding, and the writing in it is actually something that I'm quite enjoying. I know that some people said things along these lines, and that the limited amount of mission types kind of killed it a little bit for them - but I'm considering picking it up while it's on sale to keep playing because it's been a great time killer so far.

Marking it down as another reason to stop listening to the masses (especially of gamers) on stuff like this.

• Like 2