What are your favourite video game rumours?

Benji

This part of the forum was build on San Andreas and all the dumb rumours about it at a time when the modern internet was in its infancy and rumours were spread like a playground from your uncles half brothers nephew from his highschool room mates dogs sister. What were your favourite dumb rumours?

I remember changing Cloud's name to Fuji and battling Shinra troops over and over to level 40 to try and unlock Zack in FF7 who would eventually escape from a prison which was on the Midgar train lines for some reason and slice the never ending repeating pair of guards up to join you.

• Like 4

I have strong memories of all the rumours surrounding Mew and Bill's Secret Garden in Pokemon Red and Blue. While they didn't pre-date the internet itself, nobody I knew had an internet connection at the time. That meant that all kinds of wild, labyrinthine methods to unlock the secrets were spread around.

I'm sure people have made rom hacks to add them all in, but it would be amazing if Game Freak made a special version of the games with all the made-up Pokemon in.

• Like 5

If you beat the tournament on Mortal Kombat on the SNES 3 times you had to beat Billy the dog to unlock the red ninja. Or at least that's what my cousins told my younger brother before asking him to leave the room then colouring over Scorpion on a bit of clingfilm on the TV with a red marker. Simpler times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Playing WCW/NWO Revenge and rumors about being able to unlock different characters or a cage match. I'm sure there was other rumors my young self believed about it as well, but I remember being told to beat the Battle Royal with Goldberg would unlock the cage match. 

A lot were from Final Fantasy III/VI:

That there was a way you could revive General Leo.

That there was a secret dragon you could fight called the CzarDragon and you'd get incredible loot for doing this. This one wasn't so much bullshit though. There were plans in the SNES version for a 'CzarDragon', it existed in the ROM data, but it had been dummied out for reasons. It was later reintroduced in the GBA version as the Kaiser Dragon, an endgame boss of a bonus dungeon. 

That there were other Espers you could get, due to the Esper select screen having two missing spots. This one was bullshit. At one point you could change the Esper Odin into Raiden, and Raiden would have a different slot since it was functionally different than Odin. The last remaining spot was so you could unequip an Esper. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colly said:

I seem to remember on the first Smackdown game to have the Dudleyz (2 or 3?) there were theories online you could do the 3D, and we spent ages trying every possible thing. Nonsense of course.

I know you could do it in one of them but I can't remember which one.

"WWF Backlash" as the lost sequel to No Mercy is the big one. Seems to have snowballed from a random forum post 20+ years ago claiming to have seen a Hell in a Cell screenshot in a magazine and that the game was scrapped at 30% complete. There are even samples of Austin's "Glass Shatters" and Christian's "At Last" theme on YouTube claiming to be from this 30% finished game. But a couple of years ago someone from AKI was asked about it and confirmed it never existed.

I do remember hearing a lot of nonsense about Smackdown 2 - there were going to be six-way ladder matches, Bret Hart as a hidden character, play five years of season as Kane without ever losing a match and you'll unlock an inferno match, that sort of thing.

Edited by andrethegiantstopfan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I have strong memories of all the rumours surrounding Mew and Bill's Secret Garden in Pokemon Red and Blue. While they didn't pre-date the internet itself, nobody I knew had an internet connection at the time. That meant that all kinds of wild, labyrinthine methods to unlock the secrets were spread around.

I'm sure people have made rom hacks to add them all in, but it would be amazing if Game Freak made a special version of the games with all the made-up Pokemon in.

Use Strength on the SS Anne at the right angle and Mew will be underneath!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2