Summer Transfer Window 2023

Lineker

Spurs have just come in to a large sum of money...

(seriously though, if the last couple of days of media transfer talk is anything to go by, we can treat it as the load of bollocks it all is and just wait for the announcement... Unless you're Arsenal and decide not to make a formal announcement of your £100m+ signing for ages)

Edited by lanky316

16 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Surely if that report on Caicedo is in any way accurate, Chelsea should stick to whatever their bid was going to be and not match the £111m or whatever it is.

But who knows. I'm always dubious about really how determined players are when this sort of thing is reported.

Brighton won't accept that. They'll keep him before they do that. Especially considering their current relationship with Chelsea.

21 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Surely if that report on Caicedo is in any way accurate, Chelsea should stick to whatever their bid was going to be and not match the £111m or whatever it is.

But who knows. I'm always dubious about really how determined players are when this sort of thing is reported.

pretty much

I mean, he is due to have a medical with Liverpool. This seems to run contrary to a report saying "No i actually want to go to Chelsea" several hours later.

I'd assume to get to the point of a medical you'd have to have agreed personal terms with the club, surely?

Doesn't make the player look great

5 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Brighton won't accept that. They'll keep him before they do that. Especially considering their current relationship with Chelsea.

As much as paying £100m for Caicedo irks me in the first place, a club can't set a valuation for a player, finally have it met after months of protracted negotiation, and then change their minds just because a new club waded in with a higher offer at the last minute. It already sounds like Caicedo has one foot out the door, so re-integrating him into the squad doesn't seem feasible now.

Caicedo is unintentionally going to end up playing for Brighton for the rest of his career as no team can actually complete his signing before the deadline passes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Naitch said:

As much as paying £100m for Caicedo irks me in the first place, a club can't set a valuation for a player, finally have it met after months of protracted negotiation, and then change their minds just because a new club waded in with a higher offer at the last minute. It already sounds like Caicedo has one foot out the door, so re-integrating him into the squad doesn't seem feasible now.

I mean, they can do whatever they want. 

It was also reported repeatedly yesterday that they had a minimal value - £100m, which Chelsea never met - but that they set a deadline for last night and it would be the highest bidder who gets him. 

A lot of the players playing these days will have come of age back when Chelsea were winning lots of stuff and Liverpool were doing god knows what with Roy Hodgson etc. And kids are all glory hunters so I would expect a pretty large number of Chelsea fans among that generation.

I would happily pick Chelsea over Liverpool if they paid me more money. And that's all it really comes down to.

4 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

A lot of the players playing these days will have come of age back when Chelsea were winning lots of stuff and Liverpool were doing god knows what with Roy Hodgson etc. And kids are all glory hunters so I would expect a pretty large number of Chelsea fans among that generation.

Also this is really big for people from the Americas, where international broadcasting rights for the Premier League and Champions League both coincided with Chelsea's dominance in England and regular good runs in Europe before finally winning it all.

7 minutes ago, damhausen said:

I would happily pick Chelsea over Liverpool if they paid me more money. And that's all it really comes down to.

Also this is really big for people from the Americas, where international broadcasting rights for the Premier League and Champions League both coincided with Chelsea's dominance in England and regular good runs in Europe before finally winning it all.

I just think it's a shame that it is all it comes down to personally. Maybe I am just salty at the whole thing though. And to be honest if a player is only moving for money, it's no big deal for them to go elsewhere. There is more to the game than money