23/24 NHL Thread

caucasianheat

It could actually happen given the way the lottery is weighted but imagine if they win the rights to Celebrini. The conspiracy theories would never go away.

I do think the NHL is tougher than we give it credit for to properly rebuild in, but taking advantage of free agency and moving draft capital around makes it about as easy as the NFL to have a one-season turnaround; the problem with that being sustaining it. If you're a new team in a new market you likely want to sustain it.

Also - hopefully this means we can now get a winter classic game at lovely LaVell Edwards Stadium.

This will give me a reason to drive to Salt Lake for a game. The grizzlies are cool and all, but I definitely want to cross an NHL game off my bucket list. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Not Henry Cavill said:

This will give me a reason to drive to Salt Lake for a game. The grizzlies are cool and all, but I definitely want to cross an NHL game off my bucket list. 

Same here. I'm pumped up for it.

They also announced that for the first year, the team won't have name or a logo and will just go by Utah.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Same here. I'm pumped up for it.

They also announced that for the first year, the team won't have name or a logo and will just go by Utah.

It’ll be nice to have a local team to root for again. 

• Like 1

All I've ever known is the Grizzlies. Although, I do have a really old puck from when the Golden Eagles were in Salt Lake. I haven't been to a game since the Grizz moved moved the E Center.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

With the Mark Stone situation, does the NHL not independently verify injuries that have cap cost implications?

No they don't. The system is very easily exploited and I think the league doesn't care that much since you want your stars playing in the playoffs anyway.

• Like 1

It sounds like the NHL doesn't have any mechanism to change things until the CBA expires in 2026, assuming they even want to amend the rules to put a stop to it. By next year, I think we'll see a lot more teams dipping their toe into stashing players around the time of the trade deadline - why wouldn't you if it's within the rules and the league isn't stepping in?