Let's Play The Devil's Plan: Virus Game

So recently Netflix released a show called The Devil's Plan, which was based on and made by the same people as a show called The Genius, which I believe I have mentioned once or twice on this very board. It's a show where a bunch of Korean people play games against each other, and it reignited my own love of playing silly games, so I thought I'd see if there was any interest in me running games from the show on here, much as I did previously with games from The Genius.

The game played on the first episode of The Devil's Plan was called the Virus Game. If you haven't seen the show, all you really need to know is that it has twelve players and is functionally similar to Mafia (players have roles and can die as the game goes on) but with some key differences (no day/night cycle, no voting. I will also include the rules below in full.

If you're interested, please reply to this topic to sign up. First twelve people in will play.

1. Ruki
2. Krabby
3. kurgan
4. Ace
5. MCD
6. JWChaos34
7. C-MIL
8. Nick Adams
9. DMN
10. Essa
11. RPS
12. Marcos

Spoiler

Rules

The Virus Game is a game for twelve players and is divided into rounds, each lasting 24 hours of real time. At the start of the game, each player will be randomly assigned a number from 1 to 12. After that, players will be randomly assigned roles as follows:

- 2 Terrorists
- 5 Citizens, 1 of whom is Immune
- 2 Researchers
- 1 Journalist
- 1 Officer
- 1 Fanatic

Terrorists

The Terrorists will be told each other's identities. At the start of the game, the Terrorists will pick one player to be infected with the virus. They will also each be given two one-use abilities: an antidote, which can be used to cure any infected player, and a gun, which can be used to kill any player. These abilities may be used at any time, although they will not activate until the end of the round in which they are used. The Terrorists win as long as one of them is alive at the end of the game and all other players (except the Immune Citizen) are dead, unless the Researchers successfully develop the cure first.

Citizens

The Citizens do not have any special abilities and will not be told anyone's identities. One Citizen will be secretly designated as Immune, but this information will not be revealed to anyone, including the player themselves (who will be told they are an ordinary Citizen). The Immune Citizen functions exactly the same as the other Citizens, except that they cannot die from the virus. The Citizens win if either both Terrorists are dead or the Researchers have successfully developed a cure.

Researchers

The Researchers will be told each other's identities. Each round, each Researcher may choose one other player to draw blood from. This ability will have no effect unless the player targeted is the Immune Citizen. If the Immune Citizen has their blood drawn, it will be announced at the end of that round that the cure is being developed. If the Researchers then successfully draw blood from the Immune Citizen a second time, the cure will be developed (note that the ability only triggers at the end of the round, so both the Researcher using the ability and the Immune Citizen must be alive at the end of the round for the ability to take effect). The Researchers win only if the cure is successfully developed; if both Terrorists are killed without the cure being developed, they lose.

Journalist

Once per round, the Journalist may use their ability to find out the role of one other player. However, if they investigate the Immune Citizen, they will be told that player is an ordinary Citizen. The Journalist wins only if they are alive when the game ends.

Officer

Once per round, the Officer may use their ability to kill one other player. The Officer wins only if both Terrorists are dead.

Fanatic

The Fanatic has no special ability. The Fanatic wins only if they are dead before the game ends.

Infection

At the beginning of the game, the Terrorists will pick one player to be infected with the virus. An infected player will die two rounds after their infection at the start of the round unless they are Immune or they receive an antidote (so for example, a player infected in round one will die at the beginning of round three). At the start of each round, all infected players will spread the infection to each player on either side of them in number order (so for example, player number 4 will infect players 3 and 5). The number order loops around for this purpose, so players 1 and 12 can also infect each other. If a dead player would be infected, the infection skips over them to the next player in sequence (so if player 3 is infected, and player 4 is dead, player 5 would get infected instead). Once per game, each player may take a virus test to see if they are infected. Only the player in question will be told the result of the virus test.

At the start of each round, all players who died in the previous round will be announced and their roles will be revealed (except the Immune Citizen, who will be announced as an ordinary Citizen). Also it will be announced how many players are currently infected and whether or not the cure is being developed.

The game will end once either the Terrorists or the Citizens fulfill their win condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in. My only reservation is that this is my first time on this site so I'm not sure how to be contacted other than by email. 

Also, Orbit annoyed me too. I still think he was a villain trying to disguise himself as a hero. In my opinion, he just wanted the game to get to a point where his only competitors were people he felt he could easily outsmart/ manipulate. 

Edited by JWChaos34

On 07/11/2023 at 12:59, TEOL said:

for real though ORBIT annoyed me so much

Are you in?

Totally.

3 minutes ago, JWChaos34 said:

I'm in. My only reservation is that this is my first time on this site so I'm not sure how to be contacted other than by email. 

Also, Orbit annoyed me too. I still think he was a villain trying to disguise himself as a hero. In my opinion, he just wanted the game to get to a point where his only competitors were people he felt he could easily outsmart/ manipulate. 

I think he knew there was going to be a big trick like there was with the piece puzzle and just wanted as much help as possible to solve it.

well I'd more or less given up but in response to this slight flurry of activity I will do the traditional 'tag a bunch of people and see if anyone shows up' strategy

@Naitch @stokeriño @Maxx @DFF @Darnez FC Forever @RPS @DMN in the House @Nick Adams @Azazel @Essa @Draevyn @Jam @Marcos @GoGo Yubari @Gongsun Zan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DMN in the House said:

Sure, I'll give it a shot as long as '24 hours real time' just means I need to show up at least once a day to participate in the round and not that I need to be on at a specific time.

Yep, just means you have to be on at some point. In the show abilities activated in real time but I appreciate that wouldn't be fair here so instead they'll activate at the end of the round, might increase the round length to 48 hours to be on the safe side.

Still need two more players.

5 hours ago, Gongsun Zan said:

I could if I'm not too late.

Couldn't stand Orbit at all though. 

Alas, we have started now. I'll put you down as a reserve just in case.

And none of us could, friend Zan. I'm genuinely scared to mention his name in my house because my wife gets so angry. "He's no Dongmin," she cries.