Andre Braugher has passed away

livid

God dammit this year has sucked so much. So much great talent gone too soon. My brother was a big fan of his on Homicide and I enjoyed him on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Such a tragic loss. 

Devastating news. I don't think enough can be said about how fantastic he was in the role of Captain Holt, being able to mix what may be the ultimate straight man reacting to the insanity of Jake/Amy/Gina/Boyle/Scully/Hitchcock in the perfect way, bringing considerable gravitas and emotion when it was necessary whilst representing two oppressed groups and the struggles of a black, gay man being a leader in the NYPD, as well as the surprise moments of breaking out of his usual character which always stand out. "Call me... VELVET. THUNDER." being my personal favourite.

In many ways this reminds me of James Avery's death, in terms of the character they played, the legacy they left in the acting world particularly as a "serious" actor becoming a comedic icon, and their death being far too soon.

• Like 7

Man, there have been a lot of terrible losses this year alone, but this one really is hitting hard, like losing Robin Williams, John Ritter, John Candy. Such a tremendous actor and terrific guy, the world was a better place with him in it than without. He had a lot of great dramatic roles in his career ,but he really knocked it out with his deadpan humor on B99, playing a gay "straight" man to perfection. This one will take time to get over. Rest in power.