songs with sequels

Benji

Michale Graves released Dying on Sunday Morning, which is the sequel to the Misfits' hit Saturday Night (or Crying on Saturday Night).

It's a solid successor and captures the same feel, but it's not as strong of a song because Graves has always written his best shit as a collaboration. I'm actually a huge fan of a lot of his solo stuff, but he needs someone to bounce ideas off of. His early post-Misfits work like Gotham Road and Graves were some of his better albums because *shudder* Dr Chud has a real knack for finding great hooks that support the lyrics that Graves writes. I'd have loved to see him get back with Jerry Only to work on new material though, because the two of them just worked really well together.

Anyways, that's the first song that came to mind when I saw the topic. It's a gooder.

• Thanks 1

Just a few that I can think of straight away, avoiding songs that were written as companion pieces and put on the same album.

I Know You're Out There Somewhere  by The Moody Blues
Sequel to: Your Wildest Dreams

Sequel by Harry Chapin 
Sequel to Taxi.

Metamoros Banks by Bruce Springsteen 
Sequel to Across The Boarder

Felina (From El Paso) and El Paso City by Marty Robbins
Sequel to: El Paso

Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie

Sequel to: Space Oddity

The Death of Sis Draper by Guy Clark
Sequel to: Sis Draper

Going Invisible 2 by The Mountain Goats
Sequel to: Going Invisible

Going Invisible is an unreleased outtake whereas Going Invisible 2 was released on an album. The latest Mountain Goats album Jenny from Thebes is a sequel to their 2002 album All Hail West Texas. I believe Leonard Cohen's song Chelsea Hotel No 2 has a precursor Chelsea Hotel No 1 but there isn't an official version of it.

Of those, the only outright stinker IMO is Sequel by Harry Chapin. I like Harry Chapin but that always felt a bit flat and forced to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So here she's actin' happy inside her handsome home
And me, I'm flyin' in my taxi, takin' tips and gettin' stoned.

I got into town a little early.
Had eight hours to kill before the show.
First I thought about heading up north of the bay
Then I knew where I had to go.

Off the top of my head....

Chubby Checker did The Twist and Let's Twist Again

Buddy Holly did Peggy Sue and Peggy Sue Got Married

C.W. McCall did a Convoy sequel called `Round The World With The Rubber Duck

The Royal Guardsmen did at least two sequels to Snoopy vs. The Red Baron, including a Christmas one. Plus two more Snoopy Songs. 

Charlie Daniels did a sequel to The Devil Went Down To Georgia called The Devil Comes Back To Georgia, with a few other artists.

Bobby "Boris" Pickett did a Monster Mash sequel called Monster Rap

Besides Ashes To Ashes, Major Tom is also mentioned in Hallo Spaceboy (mostly in the Pet Shop Boys re-mix, though) and Blackstar (go watch the music video). If songs by other artists count, then there's Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling and Empty Glass by The Tea Party. Bowie himself hinted that Elton John's "Rocket Man" could be about Major Tom.

Edited by GhostMachine

Aw, I was all set to add "Devil Comes Back to Georgia" and the "Space Oddity" sequels, but already beaten to it before hitting Post!

Anyway, one offhand, Dream Theater's "Metropolis Pt. I: The Miracle and the Sleeper" off the Images and Words album got an entire concept album as a sequel with Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory.

Metallica's "The Unforgiven" and "Unforgiven II" for an easy one.

Edited by Dan B.

11 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Jimmy Dean's wonderfully sad tale of the bad ass known as Big Bad John

and it's very silly sequel known as The Cajun Queen

Ad there's this, as well:

Spoiler

(And lets not forget there's also an Unforgiven III.)

Bon Jovi's It's My Life I guess could technically be very loosely considered a sequel to Living On A Prayer, since one whopping line mentions Tommy and Gina.

If you want a truly bad one, Jeannie C. Riley eventually put out a sequel to "Harper Valley PTA"  in the '80s called "Return to Harper Valley." In it she sings from the perspective of the mother who spoke out against the titular PTA for their hypocrisy, and it turns out now that she's older and has seen what kids these days have become she thinks the PTA actually had the right idea all along. It's Reagan's America, baby!

• Confused 1

Something I only learned about a couple of years ago was Coheed and Cambria doing a sequel to Jessie's Girl which was a bit of a worlds colliding moment for me given the original being a total banger and my fandom of Co&Ca.

1 hour ago, King Ellis said:

Something I only learned about a couple of years ago was Coheed and Cambria doing a sequel to Jessie's Girl which was a bit of a worlds colliding moment for me given the original being a total banger and my fandom of Co&Ca.

Yeah. And I recommend watching the video for Jessie's Girl then the video to their sequel. Springfield is in the video for the sequel and sings one or two lines in it. Bottom line if I remember right is that he dodged a bullet by not getting her.

50 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Yeah. And I recommend watching the video for Jessie's Girl then the video to their sequel. Springfield is in the video for the sequel and sings one or two lines in it. Bottom line if I remember right is that he dodged a bullet by not getting her.

On the "Jessie's Girl" track, we could also bring things back around to wrestling with Jimmy Hart's (legit great) response song, "Eat Your Heart Out Rick Springfield!"

Went to an NEW show back in April and Jimmy was there for the signing and a brief special appearance to welcome the crowd at the show's start.  When he was done talking he led us in a sing-along of the song's chorus!

Edited by Dan B.