songs with sequels

Benji

I would agree that answer songs are not sequels, yes.

Thought of a sequel that's only depressing because the artist meant it to be depressing, so an improvement of the other one. "Fred Jones, Pt. 2" by Ben Folds is a sequel to "Cigarette" by Ben Folds Five. 

I'm not sure how far you would call these 'sequels', but some interesting call backs in songs:

Bob Dylan's "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" and "Sara" are both about his first wife. The first he wrote not long after they got married and the second about the sadness of their breakup and divorce, in the second he sings: "Staying up for days in the Chelsea Hotel, writing “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands” for you."

Bruce Springsteen's song "Racing in the Street" has an opening piano riff that directly calls back to "Then He Kissed Me" by The Crystals, and the lyrics call back to "Dancing In the Street" by Martha and the Vandellas: "summer's here and the time is right, for dancing racing in the street." Bruce wrote in his book that he was comparing the optimism of growing up in the early 1960s with the more difficult circumstances of the late 1970s. The lyrics start just talking about racing, but then he's talking about guys 'dying little by little, piece by piece', wrinkles around his girlfriend's eyes, hating yourself for just being born. It's very depressing and a sequel to the all of the characters in the 1960s who have metaphorically run out of road and are now racing just to escape the drudgery of their lives. But it ends with some hope: "Tonight my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea, and wash these sins off our hands."

Also Pet Sounds has been described as the story of a relationship from beginning to end, starting with the optimism of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" to "Caroline, No".

On the 1994 Mickey UnRapped album, Tag Team followed up "Whoomp! (There It Is)" with a sequel featuring Mickey, Minnie and Goofy, creatively titled "Whoomp! (There It Went)".

On the single cover, even Tag Team themselves look like they're pretty much done with the whole "Whoomp!" thing at this point.s-l400.jpg

Edited by Dan B.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Helloween have Perfect Gentleman from 1994 about this narcissistic dude who thinks that he is the modern day Casanova. Then in 2010 they released the song Who Is Mr. Madman which is about the same guy and how he ended up in a mental hospital.

And I guess Keeper Of The Seven Keys and King For A 1000 Years are related. Keeper Of The Seven Keys is about a hero going on a quest to throw the 7 keys into the 7 seas to banish the devil. In King For A 1000 Years, we learn that the location of the 7th sea which shelters the 7th key has been revealed to the devil and he is now trying to persuade someone to be his "terrestrial hand" and presumably find the key to free him from his banishment. In return, that person will become "King For A 1000 Years" and rule alongside the devil.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe I forgot it considering it was one of my favourite songs of last year, but Flowers by Miley Cyrus is a response/sequel to When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars.

Granted, she's singing it about her ex-husband rather than Bruno, but I think it still counts.

I am going to submit two from 2010.

Alicia Keys is very good and Jay-Z is quite mediocre so it makes mathematical sense that putting them together would yield the quite good Empire State of Mind. What doesn't make quite as much sense is that the sequel version - Empire State of Mind (Part II) - without Mr Knowles is extremely bad because it is just piano and wailing.

Love the Way You Lie  is really bad because Eminem is shit and Rihanna has never been very good at ballads. Love the Way You Lie (Part II) is also really bad because Eminem is shit and Rihanna has never been very good at ballads. One of these versions has a bit less Eminem (can't remember which) and it is a bit better than the other one. Obviously.

I'm also a bit surprised that Sweet Home Alabama and Southern Man aren't here because that immediately struck me as one of the more renowned examples.

In Genesis's Man on the Corner Phil Collins tells us what it is like to be a homeless man at the start of the 80s. In Another Day in Paradise Phil Collins what it's like to be a homeless man at the end of the 80s. Great to see the third highest-selling artist of the decade keeping it real like this.

On 24/12/2023 at 04:48, K said:

Megadeth have Hangar 18 and Return to the Hangar

Isn't Return to the Hangar more or less just a do-over with a different beat and a couple of words changed, though?

Escape The Fate had The Guillotine, This War Is Ours (The Guillotine II), and The Aftermath (The Guillotine III). Ronnie Radke, who sang lead on the first song, did Guillotine IV (The Final Chapter) with his current band, Falling In Reverse.

I have all four songs, but have yet to actually listen to all 4 in a row.