General Movie Thread 2024

Lint

13 hours ago, Lint said:

Oh boy we're gonna take the beloved children's character and make it evil!

How original.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hobo said:

Oh boy we're gonna take the beloved children's character and make it evil!

How original.

There's a Blood and Honey sequel coming, and the director or producer said they plan on making a cinematic universe out of characters turned twisted. So we'll likely get Peter Pan as a pedo serial killer and Robin Hood as a home invader at some point, sadly. 

(I haven't watched Blood and Honey or The Mean One, and won't be watching any of this shit!)

On 28/12/2023 at 02:46, Benjamin said:

There is a droid that gets gifted a crown of sunflowers about 10 minutes into the movie because he is busy telling the most inconsistent story that goes against the opening monologue that Anthony Hopkins gives (the droid is also voiced by him).

The droid also disappears until the end of the movie, and inexplicably has antlers when he pops up again.

Also, the actor playing the bad guy admiral was on Game of Thrones as Daario Neharis in season 3 and was replaced in the role in season 4 by the actor who plays the farmer. The character went from long hair and clean shaven to shoulder length hair and a beard when they changed actors.

Part II is coming in April (the day after my birthday). There's apparently a rated-R directors' cut coming out at some point, along with a comic prequel mini-series that takes place 5 years earlier. 

On 02/01/2024 at 13:38, Ruki said:

I'd prefer to see Mickey Mouse in a remake of Maximum Overdrive with other public domain characters.

:lol: This is such a weird coincidence but I'm actually watching that movie right now. I was wondering if anyone knew how they made it look like no one was driving the trucks. I mean they didn't have cgi yet so what did they do?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

:lol: This is such a weird coincidence but I'm actually watching that movie right now. I was wondering if anyone knew how they made it look like no one was driving the trucks. I mean they didn't have cgi yet so what did they do?

They've had green screen technology since at least the 40s. So I'm sure it was a chroma key suit of some kind. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LL! said:

They've had green screen technology since at least the 40s. So I'm sure it was a chroma key suit of some kind. 

Oh that makes sense! I forgot I've seen those people wearing the head-to-toe green suits before. I was completely baffled for some reason. I was sitting here like "Are they ducking behind the dash? I hope not that's dangerous!" :P 

Trying to find out info looks like  the trucks were being remote controlled.

Also that Bruce Springsteen was Stephen King's first choice to star.

Ive not seen Maximum Overdrive but I would reckon green screen in the cab of a truck would be a lot of work  (probably more in 1985/6 than now) because there's so many reflective surfaces to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonka was really very fun and charming. It's a long time since I watched a film with such good pacing, because I never sat there and wondered how much was left. Funny, family friendly and fun. Well worth the watch.

On 02/01/2024 at 21:29, gunnar hendershow said:

This summer Mickey Mouse stars in the role he was born to play. The IP Lawyer.

Jerry MouscGuire.

"You had me at clause C Section 3 stating that "Hello" is a copyright held by the Disney corporation and House of Mouse Ltd."

Finally saw The Iron Claw. I cried a lot more than I thought I would. I understand why they left out Chris, I think it would have been almost too much tragedy for regular film crowds.

I have some nitpicks (including the direction they went with Ric Flair), like Zac Efron looking like Scott Bakula instead of Kevin Von Erich, or that Jeremy Allen White is like a head shorter than Kerry, but those are fine because White was a fucking amazing Kerry and Efron was great as well. Holt McCallany was a near perfect Fritz, as well.

I don't really watch a ton of movies, but Iron Claw was very, very good. I'm not sure if I'd want to watch it again, though, like I said, I got really emotional.

• Like 1

That Dicaprio movie is on Apple TV now. I have Apple TV so I feel like I should watch that Dicaprio movie.

I don't want to watch that Dicaprio movie :( 

You ever feel like you should watch something you really don't want to just so you can keep up with Movies? Do you cave and watch it even though you don't want to? I'm struggling with it. 3 and a half hours seems like torture to me

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

That Dicaprio movie is on Apple TV now. I have Apple TV so I feel like I should watch that Dicaprio movie.

You ever feel like you should watch something you really don't want to just so you can keep up with Movies? Do you cave and watch it even though you don't want to? I'm struggling with it. 3 and a half hours seems like torture to me

You are at home, you could always pause it for a bit if you need to.

I did that with Uncut Gems.  It got so tense that at some point, I paused it for 30 minutes just to calm down

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2024 at 20:06, Your Mom said:

Yeah, don't watch it all at once. I know that's sort of taboo for movie people but honestly it's fine. I think it's a great movie but it's great because it's tough to watch. 

• Thanks 1

Don Murray, who was in among other things Bus Stop with Marilyn Monroe, Peggie Sue Got Married, and appeared as Bushnell Mullins in Twin Peaks: The Return has died aged 94.

First off, it just highlights how messed up the tax code is in this country that deleting the already completed film will give this big studio a tax write off.

But moreover, the idea of just deleting art is grotesque.  The move to digital just makes it easier for providers to do this.  Pretty sure there are already stories out there about video games being deleted from digital libraries including games the user already paid for.  You never paid to own the game, you paid to rent it from them until they decided they wanted it back.

Hope this film leaks.  Leaks and piracy are ethical when they’re giving you no way to legally enjoy the content.

Watched the Iron Claw last night and boy did that shit hit hard.

At the end I was balling my eyes out- as was the Mrs. Partly due to personal circumstances but it was an incredibly powerful movie. 

The only negative I can think of was the questionable casting of Ric Flair. Other than that, a very solid movie.

• Like 1