Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Was going to offer you mine but I'm thinking of training it up to use in my second effort at the Elite 4; when I finally return to playing the game.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't breed for a Nidoran-F, you'll always end up with Males. Can't remember why or where I read that but it rings a bell for some reason; hence your inability to get one.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to offer you mine but I'm thinking of training it up to use in my second effort at the Elite 4; when I finally return to playing the game.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't breed for a Nidoran-F, you'll always end up with Males. Can't remember why or where I read that but it rings a bell for some reason; hence your inability to get one.

You can breed for either gender of Nidoran. As far as I know it's a 50% chance as to which gender you get. What you are perhaps thinking of is the fact that Nidorina and Nidoqueen are in the No Eggs group for some reason, and so you can't breed them for a Nidoran egg.

They seriously need to completely rehaul the breeding mechanics. Waiting 20-30 minutes to get ONE egg, then having to leave the nature and ability up to chance even if you use an everstone is bullshit. I can understand not wanting to make it too easy for people to get exactly what they want, but Id rather pay 5000 pen and be given the egg then and there rather than having to take 256 steps and there only be a 17% chance of being given an egg.

They seriously need to completely rehaul the breeding mechanics. Waiting 20-30 minutes to get ONE egg, then having to leave the nature and ability up to chance even if you use an everstone is bullshit. I can understand not wanting to make it too easy for people to get exactly what they want, but Id rather pay 5000 pen and be given the egg then and there rather than having to take 256 steps and there only be a 17% chance of being given an egg.

Oh boo hoo.

Everything in Pokemon is left up to chance. If they made things certain they'd lose their charm. It's not that hard to hatch eggs either. Get something with Flame Body or Magma Armor - Volcarona's good once you catch it - then go cycling. I use the ring at the top of the map. By the time you're done hatching one egg there'll be another, then another, then another.

Seriously. It's not that hard.

Nowhere did I say it was hard. Breeding can just get annoying. Even with Volcarona it can still take a while to get something you want, just because of how long it can take to actually get an egg from the guy. Obviously it isnt THAT bad all the time, but after waiting nearly an hour to not even get half of a party of eggs it isnt something you go "oh but boy is it charming!" I personally dont see how making it so that it would be easier to receive an egg would equal the game losing any charm, but to each their own.

I actually wouldnt mind if they just made it so that breeding with ditto's wasnt automatically "they dont seem to get along..." That is really my main issue with breeding, is that the chances for getting eggs can take so long. I dont mind breeding for natures or abilities since I can usually get what I want in the first one or two eggs (for nature) or within one party batch of eggs (for nature AND ability).

I wouldnt be surprised if, depending if they ever stop making the games (which I doubt will be soon), they end up rehauling breeding mechanics, or some other main gameplay mechanic that's been the same for generations. The fact that they were willing to make it so that TMs can be used more than once shows they are willing to change things that have been the same since Gen 1. Which is something that is incredibly useful. Now you dont have to be stingy with TMs and try and decide who to use it on, especially when you have 600 someodd pokemon you can catch.

Sorry for finding an aspect of the pokemon games annoying at times, though.

Edited by Vitamin E

I've...lost...a Pokemon. I had a tympole that I was levelling as my water type before Dubs made me aware of Carracosta. I want to back to it for a "secondary team" i'm working on, and it's just not in any of my boxes.

...I feel like a failure as a trainer :(

This may be a shock to everyone, but I still haven't played Pokémon White since getting it on day one. I've managed to avoid seeing most of the new pokémon (which feels like an achievement).

I'm determined to play LeafGreen > HeartGold > Emerald > Platinum > White. By the time I get round to White, Grey will be out or something. Might even try to get Ho-oh from Colosseum, but it'll take fucking ages. Eventually I should have all of the however-many pokémon if anyone fancies trading some way down the line. No funny business, just leveling the old fashioned grinding way. Been playing with the Pokéwalker for a few months, not even challenged Falkner yet and I have about 20 pokémon. And I've just beat the Cinnabar gym in LeafGreen, so won't be long until I start beasting Johto.

And if anyone still cares, this does mean I've given up on my 'Pokémon Legend' diary. It was holding up my fun for years! I won't miss it. It's nice to play for fun for a change. :)

It's the same game! I'm finally just...PLAYING it! It felt very strange to just PLAY a pokémon game. I have over 300 hours logged on my LeafGreen game. I just don't have the time anymore to update the diary. Sorry if it'll genuinely be missed. Plus I wasn't really happy with what I had already written. Reading it back, it seemed really naff. I had so many characters I wanted to introduce as well. I think maybe I planned it out too well! Bulbasaur, Totodile, Torchic and Piplup would have been my starters (decided randomly).

But look at it this way, I'll trade you anyone you like from the diary! :lol:

I had it planned out for years which pokémon I'd be catching, since it was hard to keep it all in my head. It would have spanned Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and possibly Sinnoh. This was before the Johto remakes were announced as well. And not necessarily in that order. The readers were going to decide on that. One of the biggest possible fails was that I was going to attempt the Elite Four ONCE and only once. If I failed, I'd have just moved onto the next region. I'll post how I do here if you'd like? I think my team is far better than I predicted. I didn't want to catch all of the pokémon in the game, it just seemed to unrealistic, and never wanted to catch a legendary, unless it was on the first try and I got very lucky. Wasn't going to spam it with balls, doesn't make for entertaining reading.

Hard to believe I started that diary in 2007.

Anyways, still training up my beasties before taking on the Viridian Gym. I currently have:

Favourites (for taking on Elite Four):

Venusaur

Ninetales

Lapras

Gyarados

Aerodactyl

Hypno

Nidorina

Fearow

Pikachu

Butterfree

Dragonair

Primeape

Marowak

Snorlax

Haunter

Ones I still need to train, which I will probably use against Giovanni:

Staryu

Slowpoke

Tentacruel

Kabuto

Ones I need to evolve, but which I have no further uses (I'll try trading between my GBA and Pokémon Colosseum for the trade evolutions):

Pidgeotto

Graveler

Onix

Clefairy (Want it to learn Meteor Mash before I evolve it)

Ones which I have no use for now, but who all served their purpose in gym battles, etc:

Hitmonlee

Raticate

Kangaskhan

Dodrio

Sandslash

Rapidash

Ch'ding (Farfetch'd)

Pinsir

Venomoth

Beedrill

Parasect

Poliwrath

Flareon

Persian

Electrode

Ditto

Weezing

Dugtrio

Legendaries, which I never planned on catching in the diary, unless it was GENUINELY on the first attempt (as with all of the diary battles):

Articuno

Zapdos

Moltres

Ones which I have still to capture:

Goldeen

Mewtwo (just to battle)

Ledyba

Unown

Dunsparce

Entei (just to battle)

In HeartGold I'm just at the Ruins of Alph before taking on the first gym, using the Pokéwalker everyday when I'm at work, while I focus on finishing LeafGreen. I plan on having my Onix/Steelix from LeafGreen to appear in my favourites once I transfer it to HeartGold. My team so far:

Favourites (for Elite Four):

Totodole

Hoothoot

Mareep

Nidoran (male)

Murkrow

Slowpoke (for Slowking)

Shellder

Zubat

Machop

To be trained for gym battles and tasks:

Hoppip

Wooper

Elekid

To be trained up and evolved, but no real use:

Spinarak

Bellsprout

Oddish

Sunkern

Sentret

Poliwag (for Politoad)

Krabby

Pokéwalker ones still to find:

Abra

Jynx

Psyduck

Should be fun. Was thinking of trading to get Lileep, Omanyte and Igglybuff for my HG game. Freshen it up a bit.

Where am I supposed to go after I beat the Elite Four? It seems to jump straight to level 60 trainers no matter which direction I go? :S

Intentional. You're meant to go east from Opelucid (or whatever the fuck it's called, I can't remember) and fight the Lv60+ guys. Given how the experience mechanic works in B/W you catch up reasonably quickly.

Guest skipschool

I want to level a new team though >_> Frowns.

Give two low level guys your experience shares and then just use what you've got, as Viperlike said, the engine is crazy easy to level lower level stuff up using this method (even moreso if you get them traded over)

Guest skipschool

Does anyone know how it would work if I gave my Lead pokemon the Lucky Egg and two others EXP shares? The boost doesn't pass down like that, right?

No, you won't get the additional boost. Basically (for example) you get 1200 exp for a battle, give the EXP share to two other pokemon, and you all get 400 exp each, Lucky Egg will give your lead pokemon 600 exp but not the other two, however, with the engine, you don't get a base EXP for a battle, this is just an example.