What games have you played today?

ROC

sonic1.jpg

Sonic The Hedgehog - 8/10

The beginning of SEGA and Sonic Team's classic Sonic The Hedgehog game franchise began with this solid installment released on the SEGA Genesis in 1991. While it feels dated and paltry in comparison to the best of the game series (Sonic 2), it provides some good classic fun to those children of the 16-bit age.

sonic_00.gif

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - 10/10

The best of the series, it seems Sonic 2 has it all. Very well designed levels and special stages. A great sense of speed. The owning power of Super Sonic. And that bad-ass Death Egg. (Because, let's admit, Final Zone in Sonic 1 wasn't hardly as cool as the Death Egg.) Oh, and let's not forget a fantastic ending. Easily the most memorable game for me in the 16-bit age.

sonic_the_hedgehog3_title.gif

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 - 9/10

The sequel installment to Sonic 2 was so big that SEGA had to separate the game into two separate games, Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. This installment brought a lot to the series as well, including even more impressive designs and including the series's red walking bad-ass, Knuckles. That said, the game is unmistakeingly shorter than the other two, with only 6 levels and 2 acts per level. And then there's the rather frustrating Carnival Night zone as well.

B000035XKJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sonic and Knuckles - 9/10

The continuum to Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles can be admired as a last hurrah of sorts for Sonic and the 16-bit age. Released in 1994, it would be the last true 2D installment of the series. In this final game, the focus is again on the Death Egg, which is rebuilt and even more of a bad-ass object than before. Again, the stages are short, but not so much on the frustrating side, though Sandopolis is a little tricky. But the boss in this installment is more challenging and therefore much more satisfying as a reward for beating the game. All in all, a great last hurrah for the solid 2D Sonic series.

BTW, if anyone wants to know my 10/10s, here they are:

Goldeneye 007 - 10/10

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 10/10

Super Mario Bros. 3 - 10/10

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - 10/10

It's kinda odd having 2 of my four 10/10 games coming from the Nintendo console I hated the most, but they were extremely excellent from my standpoint.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro Evo 4 at my mates house since like 1am last night/this morning until 3pm today (With obvious beaks). 6 of us had a tournament and then we tried a 4 player world cup and kept on getting are arses kicked. Then only 3 of us stayed. 1 fell asleep and me and the my mate won a world cup with England on 4*. Quality shit. I'm hungover too. Eugh.

10/10. One of the best laughs i've had in ages. Plus the game is awesome.

Guest DJHill

Ridge Racer for PSP. Great game. Made me fall in love with racing games all over again. I haven't really completed the game as I just got it yesterday but if I had to give it a score I guess it'd get a 9/10.

Transport Giant

One of the Most under rated games ever

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 9/10

Amazing game so far, much better then the second one (I gave that 8/10)

Started playing through MGS3 again.

Frustrated though cos I've just got to The End and I thought I'd snipered him earlier....Though barrels exploded around him so I guess he escaped unscathed SOMEHOW *raises an eyebrow at the game*

Just trying out loadsa new stuff (like using the handkerchief to knock them out - which I didn't find in the first game, or the knockout fags) and trying to kill the bosses just by stunning them to get new camoflage.

The Pain was easy enough but the lousy Fear is impossible to get past by stunning cos he just drops down to eat fruit to up his condition.

First time round I only won one boss battle through stunning (and that was The Boss!) so looking forward to trying out The Fury (who freaked me out big time first go round...)

B0000AI1KE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dead or Alive Ultimate - 8/10

Perhaps my grade is lower because I have no online capabilities, but Tecmo's fight game does own. The graphics are gorgeous, the beat-em-up environments are great, and the story stuff actually owns. The game is rather short, though, so I suggest a rental unless you have XBox Live.

Guest Jules

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

I never actually got around to finishing it last time, as I got bored during the first part in Taris. Started it again, kicking ass more than ever and enjoying it fully, nearly completed it I believe. Everything about this game is kickass and a must for any Star Wars fan. Looking forward to picking up Sith Lords soon, once I've finished the original.

Midnight Club 3 Midnight Club 3 Midnight Club 3 Midnight Club 3 Midnight Club 3

10/10 as far as these 'race and mod your car' games go. Beats the pants off NFSU, NFSU2 and Street Racing Syndicate... and probably any others I've missed or not played, like Juiced. Plus it's made by Rockstar, which is always a plus. The point to point racing style is fantastic allowing you a lot more freedom, unlike NFSU(2) where you're stuck in the track and can't divert an inch. The modding is much better too. While you can't do up the insides like ICE (who's gonna see those anyway?) everything else is way better.

No shitty Brooke Burke or cartoon comics here either. Ceasar reminds me of Cesar from GTA:San An so much it's unbelievable. Almost the same name, same clothes, same voice... only Ceasar is a bit bigger buit.

B0006I5I5I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

NFL Street 2 - 8/10

Okay, I'll admit it. I overrated the first NFL Street title. I graded it an 8.5, whereas it deserved more like a 7. But, whatever, all I have to say here is, this is a very welcome change to the first. Instead of merely adding a few features like say, NBA Street 3, the game adds a plethora of major gameplay exhancements. The first is the new game modes, Own The City and NFL Gauntlet. OTC is what the first game should've had as a main mode, because it makes more sense to take on other street boys on the way to greatness rather than merely challenging the NFL greats. Ditto for the new Gamebreaker 2 and the Hotspot stunts. The minigames also add more fun to the game, especially the cool 4-on-4. All in all, NFL Street 2 makes the first installment look like a demo, finally showing what the series is capable of. The first game had great fun, but this is just so much better.