What games have you played today?

ROC

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B0002IJY2U.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ESPN NFL 2K5 - 9/10

They always say that when you finish something, finish it with a bang. We've seen that in the film industry with actor Brandon Lee's final film The Crow being the best performance of his career. We've seen that in the TV industry with the final season of Angel being raved as the best. And now the gaming world sees another franchise go out tremendously. As you know, ESPN NFL 2K5 is the final ESPN NFL game made by SEGA as the rights to both licenses have been taken sneakily by EA. But what SEGA and developer Visual Concepts leave behind is a tremendous series that finally showed its skill in bringing the sport of football from real life to the console.

First up is the presentation, which is fantastic, with the Sportscenter segments being a nice touch (albeit a little predictable). Next is the amazing graphics, which seem to out shine even Madden in its graphical detail. But the major bulk of the game, of course, comes from the gameplay. The traditional 2K game formula is lifted into the game with amazing bliss, with all the snap calls and the bells and whistles football fans dream of added to the mix. Another thing it does better than Madden is just give a fantastic atmosphere about the game. Commentary doesn't feel as predictable or stupid as Madden's, either.

That said, I do have a few qualms. Like who in their right mind would think of putting David Arquette, America's favorite nutcase, into the game? And I will say that Franchise mode is not the in-depth stuff like in Madden. But, it will please you if you prefer balancing linemen to balancing money. And the lack of a legit create-a-team mode is pretty disappointing.

Still, if there's any game that gains its value and more, it's ESPN NFL 2K5. Hats off to Visual Concepts for developing, SEGA for publishing, and Take Two for distributing a game that finally gave a challenge to a publishing giant. As the ESPN NFL era ended, SEGA finally made their best football game since the era of Prime Time football on the Genesis, and as a sports fan and a gamer I thank them for it.

XIII 8/10

Criminally under-appreciated upon its release, and still is today. A decent multi-player game rounds off an excellent, challenging and absorbing single player experience, abliet with the odd slight flaw, still this deserved more attention than it got, meaning it is dirt cheap these days, so cheap in fact, its almost stealing. Buy.

Be warned however, the grappling hook leads to all kinds of nastiness and upset, typically me plunging to my death.

Guest Bluesman

Raw vs. Smackdown: 9/10

A little over a year into story mode, and it's fun. Definately seems to have some flaws story wise (first season based on women, so far second based on ratings), still pretty fun though.

TIE Fighter 100/10

BEST. GAME. EVER.

Thank God, some patch I downloaded allowed me to play DOS games on XP. Wherever I got it from...woo-ooo.

Lego Star Wars: 8/10

An incredibly fun game. Just a bit too short. I wanted more, and thats where the replay value comes in :P

I've been playing this hack for Final Fantasy VI. It's called Final Fantasy: The Eternal Crystals.

It's pretty cool, they make the storyline and characters more like a traditional Final Fantasy story, complete with Crystals, Dragoons and Dark Knights.

I give it 8/10

Metroid Prime-Finally figured out what the hell I had to do, having a newly fouhnd blast with this-9/10

God of War-Beat it, loved it, playing on God Mode-10/10

Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening-Not too far yet, but loving it-9/10

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords-Incredibly deep, unimaginably fun-10/10

Super Punch Out-Hell yes-10/10

Chrono Trigger-Still the best game I've ever played-10/10

WWE Wrestlemania 21-Far from great, far from horrid-6/10