• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NCAA 2006 (PS2) - 8/10 a really fun experience it puts you into the game

Madden 2006(PS2) - 7/10 - its good but it doesn't suck me in like NCAA

Nascar 2006 - 4/10 - I really hate this game the controls seem horrible

• 2 weeks later...

World Series of Poker (PC)

8/10

It kept freezing up when I first played it, but after I tinkered with it a bit, it runs fine and sometimes I really feel like I'm playing in a World Series of Poker event. Finished 4th in the $2,000 Pot Limit Omaha event, but didn't cash in the Main Event :(

Addicting. Very addicting if you're a poker fan like I am :P

Starcraft - 10/10

One of my personal favourite games ever. Picked it up for £5.99 along with the Brood War expansion pack, which I thought was a great deal.

Spider-Man: 2 - 7.5/10

Haven't gotten to far into it yet, but it is a really good game judging by the stuff I've seen so far.

Burnout 4: Revenge: 8/10

Making thins easier doesn't mean its better, although a very good game, and a nice addition to a great franchise, I perfer the 3rd.

• 2 weeks later...

nintendogs.JPG

Nintendogs: Chihua & Friends (DS) - 8/10

It's more fun now that I have two dogs, one named Ruby, one named Sapphire, can anyone guess what my third dog will be called?

B0000VSH4U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sonic Heroes (GC) - 7/10

Good game, but FOR FUCKS SAKE SEGA! CHANGE IT BACK TO ROBOTNIK!!!!

money_kaori.jpg

SSX3 (GC) - 9/10

The first snowboarding game since Coolboarders 2 that I've enjoyed. Plus 1 point for featuring a hot female asian character.

ps2_tony_hawks_underground_2.jpg

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (PS2) - 9.5/10

Completley restarted this to get everything again and have fallen in love with it once more.

• 3 weeks later...

Madden NFL 2006

I've got some things I don't like about it, but it's not too bad other then that. 8/10

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Really dissapointed with the game. it's just too easy to score millions. I really wish they'd make it just a tad more realistic. 7/10

The Warriors 9.8/10

Amazingly fun brawler. It'd get the extra .2 if you could free roam all of New York.

Blitz:The League 8/10

Its Blitz, its fun to play against your friends, thats good enough for me.

Shadow of The Colossus 10/10 so far

Its a gorgeous game where every battle is epic. Clinging on to 100 Foot Tall Monsters never looked so good.

I have to say its been a great week for video gaming in the world of Maxx

logo.jpg

Final Fantasy IX

9.5 out of 10

The struggle between kingdoms has been a moving point of pretty much every Final Fantasy game, but none moreso than Final Fantasy IX, where others concentrated on personal wars this game was one that mixed those in with an all out brutal affair. The use of black mages and Vivi's role in the party makes the game all the more clever, they weren't just random characters, they had a reason for being.

Speaking of characters, every single creature was unique with their qualities, the 'rats' of Burmecia and Cleyra and their astonishing jumps along with their dragoon history, the black mages and their history as mentioned, the people of Madain Sari and Garnet/Daggers link there, heck, even Quina's tribe had an intruiging little side quest involving Vivi's grandfather.

The intruiging relationships and hidden histories, a Final Fantasy staple, but you could see every relationship in this, Zidane being cast out from Terra by Kuja before he was even properly conceived, Vivi and Steiners respectful friendship, Salamander/Amarants slow realisation he can't be alone, Eiko's loneliness herself.

The only reasons this game gets less than perfect from me are twofold. First of all, the love story is far too contrived, the relationship between Garnet and Zidane is far too contrived, even for Final Fantasy, it seems they are more friends than anything. I personally thought that Steiner and Beatrix's relationship was for more realistic but obviously without either as a main character it just wasn't going to happen. The second reason, everyone who has completed the game knows. Necron, seriously, where did he come from? All I ask is maybe a hidden reference or three in the game that seem to mean nothing but point to him, but instead he's just the random final boss who wants to kill all, their is no pride in beating him like the final bosses in all other games. But Kuja made up for that, his human/inhuman approach as the lead bad guy was reminiscent of Sephiroth for me, but it was made even better by the way his history with Zidane and Garland was made.

A brilliant game, great longevity, amazing world map, average battle system but the beloved 'weapon learning' abilities is a love of mine, so that's okay. It's brilliance more than makes up for its flaws and anyone who still hasn't played/completed it, I recomend making the trip through.

Kirby Canvas Curse(DS): 9/10

An amazing, fun and challenging Kirby game for the DS. A must buy for DS owners(or at least rent). One of the best Kirby games and DS games out there.

Super Mario 64 DS: 7.5/10

A classic on the 64 goes to the small screen, overall its a good game, but Mario 64 definently wasn't made for the D-pad, and it shows.

Mercenaries: 8/10

Been playing this heavily the last few days after FINALLY getting it (very cheap) and while I like the war feeling and love the random battles that seem to be going on around you, which gives it a great feel, and the propoganda, and some side missions etc...There's too much travelling between factions and parts are a bit too hemmed in....

Good game though.