If you were a superstar...

Benji

Right, here's a question, if you were offered a contract to become a musician with a decent guarantee, would you be willing to 'sell out' and perform a style of music you didn't like? Even if it meant that you could one day evolve into your preferred genre, would it bother you?

Take for example, Charlie Busted, he really disliked the Busted sound, and Fightstar is very different (and suprisingly good to the few who still haven't heard them), at first he was slaughtered by critics and rock fans, he'll never lose that Busted taint, but he's also changed with it to get his new 'real' band exposure.

But at the same time, I personally couldn't do it, I'd prefer the respect of my peers and just make enough to live and go on the road rather than being seen as a sell-out and have a shitload of cash, just because it's a dream to be a respected artist.

So, would you be able to 'sell out' in this manner?

I'm an asshole at heart and like people to hate me for some strange reason.

I'd 'sell out' for the money. Yeah, people suck. They'll always find a reason to hate you so fuck them.

I think some people have the view point that playing an instrument can constitute as work [ie, Avril Lavigne's backing band] as opposed to expressing something while playing.

So I probably could.

So would I sell out?!

If I needed the money then sure - you've gotta be responsible, especially if you have people to support.

It would depend what my 'underground' fans were like. If they were cool then I'd be less likely to. If they were all up themselves for "liking an act no-one else has heard of' then I'd sell out just to annoy them!

If Bob Dylan can "sell-out" twice and survive it then I think I would give it a shot. Though I don't think there's such a thing as selling out.

I believe that there is such a thing, but I hardly think it's as common as many elitist music fans make it sound. Signing to major label is not selling out, changing your sound is not selling out. Pandering to the genre du jour for an extra bit of cash, however, is.

As for myself, I don't think I'd do it, as I'd hate to be in a band playing music I don't enjoy. However, it's not something I could make a definite answer to without actually being in the situation.

Yes I would. If I got a large sum of money, I'd sell out. I mean eventually you'll be able to play the music you want, why not play whatever shit the company wants for a couple years? I got no problem with that, they are paying me, I'll do what they want me to do.

Guest Locutus of Borg

Hell no. Unless it was enough to buy out my contract day-of and still have some left over. Other than that, I wouldn't. I'd rather play smokey bar rooms and pool halls than perform Country, Punk, or back some no-talent pop artist.

I probably would but it would be frustrating. If I were stuck making some sort of crap I didn't like, much like Charlie from Busted, I'd hate it that I couldn't do what I loved.

But at the end of the day you've gotta put some green in the blue...

Guest Booker T & The MG's

I'd say no to this question. If I were composing music and writing songs I'd like to think it would be my form of art, I'd prefer my own self satisfaction with my work than that of making money from something which I did not enjoy doing.

It's an ideolgical way of thinking but in terms of music, I'd feel that way.

I laugh in the face of people who say "money doesn't buy you happiness", because I know if I had enough money to never have to work then I would be extremely happy.

So, saying that, I would sell out for a large chunk of money. I have never cared what others think of me, so I would have no problem with it. Playing a style of music I didn't like would annoy me, but I think economic security would easily make me happy again.