Small Music Fill-In Poll Type Thing

Liam

I did this on another forum a while ago, and thought I'd ask the same questions here, just out of interest. I'll stick my answers in later.

Best sub 3 minute song:

Best plus 7 minute song:

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion) :

Best use of drums in a band (see the same as above, just with drums and not guitars :P):

Best Lyricist:

Best Vocalist:

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics):

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics):

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music):

Some more may be added later, when I can remember them, but yeah, thats the basis. Try and keep it to 1 or 2 answers per category, just to make it interesting.

And yeah, with all the talk of guitars and drums, kinda makes it hard for people who don't like rock to answer....sorry :(

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to note that I'm going with my current favorites. There are so many different bands/songs etc. that I could list in this poll.

Best sub 3 minute song: I See - No Alternative, Fun in the U.K. - Billy Childish and the Pop Rivets

Best plus 7 minute song: Kill Everyone Now - Nomeansno, What Goes on - The Dils

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion) : The Dictators

Best use of drums in a band (see the same as above, just with drums and not guitars ): The Screamers

Best Lyricist: Darby Crash (The Germs), G.G. Allin (Jabbers, Scumfucs, Murder Junkies)

Best Vocalist: Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys), Don Vinil (The Offs)

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics): Killing Joke, The Damned

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): Gaelic Storm, Irish Rovers

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Nomeansno, The Pogues

Best sub 3 minute song: Madness - "Baggy Trousers" (2:45), Futureheads - "Decent Days And Nights" (2:31)

Best plus 7 minute song: Hybrid - "Finished Symphony" (9:43)

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion) : Muse. Cos there's three of them (two on guitars) and sound like there's five of them. Matt Bellamy plays rhythm and lead at pretty much the same time, while the bass lines are always elaborate and full.

Best use of drums in a band (see the same as above, just with drums and not guitars ):Radiohead

Best Lyricist:Thom Yorke - Radiohead, Jason Lytle - Grandaddy

Best Vocalist: Matt Bellamy - Muse, Stephan Jenkins - Third Eye Blind, Bjork - people with instantly recogniseable voices who actually SING and not grunt or scream. Each of these three have great range.

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics):Massive Attack

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): Polysics:

"All night serve that jammin'

Weird punks get eyeball stabbin'

When slapping hands are slammin'

When I get adulation

Plan for nature

Plan for nature

Always tremblin'

Always runnin'

I will sing you something cool

I will sing you something new

I will sing you something cool

I will sing you 1.2.3. GO!

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Third Eye Blind, The Cranberries, Coldplay

Best sub 3 minute song: "Never Done Nothing Like That Before" by Supergrass

Best plus 7 minute song: "Estranged" by Guns and Roses

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion): The White Stripes

Best use of drums in a band: Supergrass

Best Lyricist: Chad Kroeger

Best Vocalist: Matt Bellamy

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics): Muse

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): Franz Ferdinand

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Muse

Best sub 3 minute song: "The Only Difference Between Suicide And Martrydom Is The Press Coverage" Panic At The Disco

Best plus 7 minute song: "Jesus Of Suburbia" Green Day

Best use of guitars in a band: Fall Out Boy

Best use of drums in a band: The Starting Line

Best Lyricist: Matthew Good

Best Vocalist: Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy) or Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

Best Dark Band: From Autumn To Ashes

Best Light Band: Bloodhound Gang

Best use of emotion: Matthew Good

Best sub 3 minute song: System of a Down - "Sugar"

Best plus 7 minute song: I'm gonna sound like such a fuckin hick but, Skynyrd - "Freebird"

Best use of guitars in a band: Metallica

Best use of drums in a band: NIN

Best Lyricist: Billy Corgan

Best Vocalist: Female - Shirley Manson (Garbage) Male - Mike Ness (Social Distortion)

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics): I'm rather partial to old school Slipknot

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): Fall Out Boy... they're not really happy, but they're light-hearted.

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Smashing Pumpkins

Edited by Zero

Best sub 3 minute song: Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones

Best plus 7 minute song: Champagne Supernova - Oasis

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion) : Foo Fighters

Best use of drums in a band (see the same as above, just with drums and not guitars): Green Day

Best Lyricist: Raine Maida (Our Lady Peace)

Best Vocalist: Matt Scannell (Vertical Horizon)

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics): Don't know

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): Vertical Horizon

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Coldplay

Best sub 3 minute song: "Twisting" by They Might Be Giants

Best plus 7 minute song: "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion) :

Best use of drums in a band (see the same as above, just with drums and not guitars tongue.gif): The Pillows (Shinichiro Sato is the shit)

Best Lyricist: John Lennon. Jesus, people, it took THAT LONG when the likes of Chad Kroeger show up?

Best Vocalist: Paul McCartney

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics): Rasputina

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): They Might Be Giants

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): I'm honestly tempted to say Nirvana. The reason they succeeded is because Kurt Cobain was a master at conveying emotion through his lyrics and his voice (bad as it was from an actual singing standpoint).

Best sub 3 minute song: These heresies exist? :o Heh, I guess I'd go for the Lore of the Arcane, which is the intro to a Hammerfall album and is about a minute long :P

Best plus 7 minute song: Soul of a Vagabond by Stratovarius (I think it's 7+. Kinda borderline, can't be arsed to check. If not, Symphony X - The Odyssey, because that definately is :P)

Best use of guitars in a band: Dragon. Fucking. Force.

Best use of drums in a band: I'm tempted to say DF again...Dave is fucking insane, and has to be to keep up :P Yeah, DF.

Best Lyricist: I thought I'd get flamed for this, but then someone said Chad Kroeger, so it's all good. Glenn Tipton.

Best Vocalist: ARGH. There are like, six that could easily get this. It literally depends on which of the six I last listened to, so... Joacim Cans (Hammerfall)

Best Dark Band: Do Maiden count? If not, then Caliban I guess. Booo to dark. Unless Maiden are dark enough, obviously.

Best Light Band: Fucking hell...meh... DF and Hammerfall have got their fair share, so....Sonata Arctica? Stratovarius? Symphony X? Gah. Stratovarius, just because, according to my brother, they "sound the gayest out of all the bands you listen to". Cheers, bro. But it'd so be Hammerfall or DF if I wasn't trying to be varied to please you :P

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Hammerfall. No question there.

More questions! You haven't let me mention Rhapsody or Nightwish yet :@

Edited by TheReilDeal

Best sub 3 minute song: They Might Be Giants - They'll Need A Crane

Best plus 7 minute song: Meatloaf - I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

Best use of guitars in a band: Megadeth

Best use of drums in a band: Van Halen

Best Lyricist: John Lennon

Best Vocalist: Kurt Cobain

Best Dark Band: Tool

Best Light Band: They Might Be Giants (Though there are quite a few songs with pretty dark lyrics)

Best use of emotion: Goo Goo Dolls

Best sub 3 minute song:Ramones-I Wanna Be Sedated(2:31) or Rock and Roll High School(2:18)

Best plus 7 minute song:Don McLean-Bye Bye Miss American Pie(8:32)

Best use of guitars in a band:Rage Against The Machine

Best use of drums in a band:Twisted Brown Trucker Band(Kid Rock's band)

Best Lyricist:Anthony Kiedis

Best Vocalist:Serj Tankian...or Anthony Kiedis

Best Dark Band:Slipknot

Best Light Band:System of a Down...are they light?

Best use of emotion:Nirvana

I'm one of those people that if you asked me this on a different day I'd probably give different answers though, it just depends how I feel at the moment.

Edited by Pepsi Punk

Best sub 3 minute song: Give It Up - SOiL

Best plus 7 minute song: Orion - Metallica

Best use of guitars in a band: Metallica

Best use of drums in a band: Rush

Best Lyricist: James Hetfield

Best Vocalist: James Hetfield

Best Dark Band: n/a

Best Light Band: n/a

Best use of emotion: Metallica

Guest seattlebandfan9

Some of these are extremely hard to narrow down, so I will just give one answer or no answer to all.

Best sub 3 minute song: Impossible to answer.

Best plus 7 minute song: Probably something by Opeth.

Best use of guitars in a band: All That Remains

Best use of drums in a band: Tool / Clutch

Best Lyricist: Neil Fallon (Clutch)

Best Vocalist: Chris Cornell - To not see his name come up destorys my insides.

Best Dark Band: Too many to choose.

Best Light Band: Maybe Pearl Jam or the White Stripes.

Best use of emotion: Bands are different at times, its hard to strike one down with this question.

• Admin

Best sub 3 minute song: "Song 2" by Blur

Best plus 7 minute song: "Layla" by Derek & The Dominoes

Best use of guitars in a band: Muse

Best use of drums in a band: Genesis

Best Lyricist: Neil Finn

Best Vocalist: Neil Finn

Best Dark Band: Radiohead

Best Light Band: The Divine Comedy

Best use of emotion: Crowded House

Best Lyricist: I thought I'd get flamed for this, but then someone said Chad Kroeger, so it's all good. Glenn Tipton.

Hey, I could have said Fred Durst you know. :P

That's like preferring piss to shit, it's still human excrement and it's still no good. (Although at least with shit you can fertilize a field or something)

Best sub 3 minute song: CKY - Sporadic Movement (Especially when you hear it live....it's nuts!)

Best plus 7 minute song: Metallica - ...And Justice For All (9:46)

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who

uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion) : Metallica. So many wicked guitar riffs.

Best use of drums in a band (see the same as above, just with drums and not guitars ): Def Leppard(Because when I mimmick the drumming myself, I can style drive with the other hand)

Best Lyricist: Deron Miller (CKY)

Best Vocalist: Glenn Danzig (The Misfits, Danzig)

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics): The Misfits (baby-killing is dark, right?)

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): The Bloodhound Gang

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Weezer

Best sub 3 minute song: Ambulance Vs. Ambulance - The Blood Brothers (2:52)

Best plus 7 minute song: Cassandra Geminni - The Mars Volta (32:32)

Best use of guitars in a band: The Mars Volta or Coheed & Cambria

Best use of drums in a band: The Postal Service (Although it's a drum machine (I think), it works)

Best Lyricist: Ben Gibbard (The Postal Service, DCFC), Cedric Bixler (The Mars Volta, ATD-I)

Best Vocalist: Cedric Bixler (The Mars Volta, ATD-I), Claudio Sanchez (Coheed & Cambria)

Best Dark Band: The Smiths, The Blood Brothers

Best Light Band: The Postal Service, Iron & Wine

Best use of emotion: Jeff Buckley, The Mars Volta, The Postal Service, Iron & Wine, Coheed & Cambria (Sorry, but I couldn't just choose two)

Edited by The Second Stage Turbine Blade

Best sub 3 minute song: System of a Down - Bounce!

Best plus 7 minute song: Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell

Best use of guitars in a band (not in an individual song, and not a guitairst...just the name of the band who uses the guitars to thier best in your opinion) : Van Halen

Best Lyricist: Serj Tankian - System of a Down

Best Vocalist: David Draiman - Disturbed

Best Dark Band (as in, the best band with dark lyrics): Iron Maiden

Best Light Band (as in, best band with lighter, happier lyrics): Oasis or Blur

Best use of emotion (simply put, the band who uses emotion best in thier music): Oasis

I've removed Best Drums as i really don't know.

Best sub 3 minute song: Big Balls, by AC/DC

Best plus 7 minute song: I can't really think of any off-hand, so I'm gonna have to go with Tighter and Tighter by Soundgarden. It's close enough >_>

Best use of guitars in a band: RATM, Morello was a fucking genius.

Best use of drums in a band: *shrug* Drums are something I rarely pay attention to so...

Best Lyricist: Dave Wyndorf >_>

Best Vocalist: Cornell

Best Dark Band: Metallica is probably the darkest, off the top of my head, that I listen to. Stuff like One, FTB etc

Best Light Band: Bloodhound Gang, RHCP, Dragon Ash.

Best use of emotion: I'm tempted to say Build A Bridge by Limp Bizkit since it has particular meaning to me personally, but I can't say there's a particular band I listen to thats specifically emotional. I'll go with Nirvana, since thats probably the closest :P

Best Vocalist: Chris Cornell - To not see his name come up destorys my insides.

:wub: