The EWB Band 100 Results

Jook

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All dragsy did was ask for his reasons why. You realize, when you're a big fan of Coheed that a lot of people blast them because of Claudio's voice - but you ask why and they say "because it's high", and that's it. It gets really annoying.

And whats wrong with that? :\

Some people don't like high-pitched voices, some people do. It seems a pretty valid reason to me. A lot of bands are made or broke, in my opinion at least, on the singers voice. It's why I don't listen to the Darkness much, the music can be awesome, but the Hawkins voice is annoying. Why is that a wrong reason to dislike them?

I mean people blast the band as a whole, musically, because and I quote from MANY people "he sounds like a woman", which imo he doesn't anyway. If people said "I don't like the vocals, it's too high for my liking", then fine. But they say "Coheed are shit, no fucking talent - he sounds like a girl!" And that's it. It's an annoying happening. I'm not saying Hammy dislikes Coheed for this reason,b ut I'm saying, it's a reason a lot of fans get pissed off at hearing.

[The Beatles have] aged horribly, and other than a few songs, they just sound shit.

I had never listened to The Beatles until two years ago outside of a song or two. So I borrowed the A Hard Day's Night soundtrack. And then I borrowed Abbey Road. And then I borrowed some Anthology stuff. And then part of the Blue Album collection.

And now they're pretty much, to me, who grew up listening to the Beastie Boys, Nirvana, and Weezer, the greatest band of all time.

To YOU they haven't aged well. To me and quite a few of my friends, they are the best of all time.

Just to add my voice to the CSAHM/Dragsy thing....loads of people have come in here and said "Band X sucks", and then left, so if CSAMH wanted to do the same, then fair play to him.

I think anyone doing that is a little bit stupid anyway, but meh, at least if someone is going to do it, they can't rag on others for doing the same.

Oh, and I would say Co&Ca are pretty OK, with the occasional good song. Not awful, by any means, but I don't see why people shoot thier load of them as they do. They are talented, but maybe just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Edited by Big Hairy Man Face

[The Beatles have] aged horribly, and other than a few songs, they just sound shit.

I had never listened to The Beatles until two years ago outside of a song or two. So I borrowed the A Hard Day's Night soundtrack. And then I borrowed Abbey Road. And then I borrowed some Anthology stuff. And then part of the Blue Album collection.

And now they're pretty much, to me, who grew up listening to the Beastie Boys, Nirvana, and Weezer, the greatest band of all time.

To YOU they haven't aged well. To me and quite a few of my friends, they are the best of all time.

I said that a few of their songs haven't aged horribly (Happiness Is A Warm Gun being the one that most prominently comes to mind), but if you take their entire back catalogue and listen to each song, I can safely say the majority have been bettered many times over, and aren't relevant to a modern music scene. I do love me some Wild Honey Pie, though.

Compare them to The Velvet Underground, though, who were around at around the same time, and there's no comparison. A lot of the Velvets' stuff sounds fresh and original even today, or to Son House who had already been playing for a good forty years before The Beatles, and who's material (ignoring the recording quality) is pretty much indistinguishable from the garage rock movement that came long after them.

I don't want to discredit The Beatles' obvious talent and obvious contributions to music, I just don't think they're relevant any more.

I'm not a fan of any of these bands... I respect Queen, and I can see why people like them, I've just never been in to them. I hate Green Day with a passion, like most punk. I've just never been able to listen to punk without wanting to throw something. (And don't argue about Green Day 'not being punk'... they're more punk than not)

Foo Fighters and Nirvana are just... bland really. Just doesn't interest me. And System... they just don't click with me.

I'd tend to agree with that, Queen would be the only band on that list I'd actually listen to but while I do like some punk music (moreso stuff from Punk's late '70's heyday) I too hate Green Day with a passion. I've never heard any Foo Fighters or System of a Down but there not really in the part of the music store I'd venture to anyway. I do also quite dislike Nirvana, pretty much for the Cult of Kurt Cobain that has developed and I could never see the appeal in anything that they did.

As for The Beatles, they've been far more influencial than a lot of bands that are on the list. Maybe they're not relevant today as some have suggested but certainly if you appreiciated the history of popular music The Beatles are up there as one of the best.

Also the fact that Guns 'n' Roses got higher than Dylan makes me sad....though I do have a bit of a niggle about solo artists being in a list of "100 Bands"....by this logic I demand Johnny Cash be in the top ten.

I said that a few of their songs haven't aged horribly (Happiness Is A Warm Gun being the one that most prominently comes to mind), but if you take their entire back catalogue and listen to each song, I can safely say the majority have been bettered many times over, and aren't relevant to a modern music scene. I do love me some Wild Honey Pie, though.

And I said that in my opinion their entire catalogue outside of some of the worse songs from their earlier periods and some of their all-too-weird songs from their later period remain, to this day, either brilliant or simply fun to listen to. The early stuff is still fun, nonsensical pop with great hooks and the later stuff is diverse, well-written material and to this day, in my opinion, there is not a single moment in any song ever made that I have ever heard that tops the final thirty seconds of the song portion of "A Day in the Life."

What we have here is a difference of opinion. Shock of the year.

5th: Rage Against The Machine DOWN 2

B000050ZDO.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

4th: Radiohead DOWN 3

logo.gif

3rd: Metallica DOWN 3

4M.jpg

The top three from last year fell to 5th to 3rd this year... Radiohead dropping three places to 4th.

Radiohead, being my favourite band, were my choice for number one, but you can't win em all. I hate Metallica, but even if I didn't I don't think they'd deserve a top 5 finish. Same with Rage, although I love them.

Top two up in a few hours!

For fuck sake just post them now! We know who they are, you're not creating any suspense, or extra conversation. Most of the conversation has been 'hurry up, post the list!'.

No it hasn't, just quit it and let him post the list the way that he wants to. It’s no bother to you and it’s not ruining your day to not know who it is. I don't see you doing this is ROC's thread.

So... Beatles or Zeppelin?

Hopefully The Beatles.

And... Greenday 6th??? I see their appearances in Smash Hits magazine have influenced that result. :blink:

Good to see Foo Fighters in the top ten, just a shame they lost to Nirvana. Nirvana, in my opinion, are the most overrated rock band in the history of rock music.