The January Transfer Window Thread

Lineker

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool are poised to follow up the capture of Robbie Fowler with the signing of Deportivo La Coruna winger Victor.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has made no secret of his desire to bring in a winger during the January transfer window and had been linked with a host of names.

Benitez has seen moves for Atletico Madrid's Luciano Galletti and Benfica's Simao Sabrosa hit the rocks, prompting the Spaniard to switch his attentions across La Primera to Depor.

The Reds are close to striking an accord with Depor and Victor has not made the trip to Madrid for the weekend clash with Atletico.

Victor, who has recently returned to fitness following a thigh injury, is expected to head to Merseyside on Sunday to discuss terms and undergo a medical.

A three-and-a-half-year deal is set to be put on the table and Benitez will hope to wrap up the transfer before the window slams shut on Tuesday.

Victor has class in abundance, having turned out for Real Madrid in the past, and Benitez will hope the 29-year-old can add some attacking thrust to his side.

Portsmouth snap up D'Alessandro

D'Alessandro's move could be made permanent

Portsmouth have signed Argentina international midfielder Andres D'Alessandro on loan from Wolfsburg.

The 24-year-old, who was part of Argentina's gold medal-winning team in the 2004 Olympics, has scored 11 goals in 53 appearances for Wolfsburg.

Manager Harry Redknapp told the club website: "The boy is a really influential playmaker and you can't have too many of those.

"This is a massive signing for the club and I am delighted."

D'Alessandro is Redknapp's ninth signing of the January transfer window.

Redknapp added: "We have got together some players who can have a huge influence on matches, and this lad is one of them."

D'Alessandro moved to the Bundesliga from River Plate for £6.2m in July, 2003.

He has played consistently well for Wolfsburg but reports in Germany suggsted the player had been keen for a change.

Wolfsburg coach Klaus Augenthaler left him out of the squad for Saturday's 3-2 defeat by Borussia Dortmund.

"I'm sure this agreement is a fair solution for the clubs involved and for the player," Wolfsburg manager Klaus Allofs said in a statement.

Yeah, he's supposed to be pretty good. Suprised he went Pompey and no other bigger clubs were interested. I fancy Pompey to stay up now with all the signing they've made.

Also, Arsenal have sold Bentley to Blackburn on a permanent and Owusu-Abeyie has joined Spartak Moscow. I though this Owusu-Abeyie was supposed to be the best youngster coming through at Arsenal. Only saw bits of him so can't really comment. I think Bentley still has some potential and it's good he has found a decent team where he can get first team football.