The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I buy Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, and The Walking Dead and that's it. I was buying Daredevil but then they did a crossover with Spider-Man where I had to buy an issue of Spider-Man and I was like "no, I'm good."

Oh hell yes. I'm in the midst of back-collecting the series though. I'm up to #32 I believe and the book is fantastic. I've got the local shop holding the current issues for me and I'll be them as I get to them. They're helping me catch up on the issues so ...

All the way back to the very beginning? When it was bu Busiek and Bagely?

Yes ... picked up 1-20 and the first appearance in Hulk on Ebay for quite cheap.

I've only read a very narrow section of Thunderbolts (roughly #110 - #130), which I suppose can be carved off pretty neatly from everything that came before. I came into it on the back of reading Civil War and loved the team they had together (Bullseye, Venom, Moonstone, Penance, Songbird, etc. - plus Osborn), but then they virtually all went off to be the Dark Avengers and the team got entirely replaced. I'll admit I didn't give the new team much of a chance before going "meh".

Could get volume 1 just for the original "WHAT A TWIIIST" reveal, though it would stand the hell out from the rest of my collection! I really have to hold off on resuming my trade purchases until my next pay cheque towards the end of July though.

I didn't bother with that Thunderbolts lineup that was, like... Paladin and Irredeemable Ant-Man and whoever. I skipped all that and went to the current lineup, which started as Luke Cage, Moonstone, Juggernaut, Crossbones, Ghost, and Man-Thing and has turned into a fun mix of Thunderbolts mainstays (Moonstone, Songbird, and so on) and d-listers (I had never heard of Centurius before this comic, and I love obscure supervillains).

League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century: 2009 is fantastic. Some brilliant sight gags and cameos (Malcolm Tucker!), and a suitably bonkers, but great end to the main series, while potentially leaving it open for a sequel. It's not the strongest part of the series, and obviously the time period doesn't lend itself to imaginative fiction quite as well as previous installments, but it was a lot of fun. A shame there wasn't more Black Dossier-style messing with the genre and whatnot, but it's well worth a read either way. Can't wait for the spin-offs now!

And, as a result of finishing that, and still on an Alan Moore kick, I re-read V For Vendetta for the first time in years. Absolutely brilliant stuff, well worth revisiting. Insane to think it was written in the early '80s.

I was initially planning on picking them up, but then I realized I didn't want to read it more than I wanted to read it. That sounds weird, but to me, the moral issues outweighed my desire to see the Watchmen doing more Watchmen stuff (which is pretty much how DC solicited it- they certainly didn't give any indication as to what the stories would be about)- as opposed to say, The Avengers, which was also a bit of a quagmire given the Kirby family's compensation, but I really wanted to see.

For me, it was actually that the advertisements over-saturated the market. Reading as many DC titles as I do, I stopped giving a damn about the Before Watchmen series about a month after they released that fake four-page news paper.

Yes. It's a fun book. Not one of my absolute favorites, but I enjoy it. I like Bendis's other Avengers books as well, but it's nice that there's one that's not so deeply tied in to the happenings of the rest of the Marvel Universe. Also, Guardians of the Galaxy!

Yes. It's a fun book. Not one of my absolute favorites, but I enjoy it. I like Bendis's other Avengers books as well, but it's nice that there's one that's not so deeply tied in to the happenings of the rest of the Marvel Universe. Also, Guardians of the Galaxy!

That's what I was hoping for. Think I'll give it a go next time I'm at the shop. Thanks.

Ed Brubaker did an excellent interview talking about Before Watchmen, his creator owned work, his desire to stay on Winter Soldier for as long as he can/until it's cancelled, and that he has written his last Captain America book. Eight years on Cap. Doesn't seem that long even though I know it has been. I hope whoever replaces him is even half as good as he is.

It's The Avengers versus The X-Men. That's very interesting to me. :P

I just wish there was some stuff I could read for the build up to it. Might try and find a torrent for it and read up to the issue before the first official AvX Uncanny X-Men that I'm buying.

Oh yeah, found Avengers Vs. X-Men 2 on ebay, cover A... £2. And then, found Avengers Vs. X-Men 3 on some website, cover A, £4!

Hooray for interwebs! The rest should be fairly easy to find.

Did DC's re-launch thing ever happen? I may be interested in looking into a few from the reboot.

Yes

Ten months later and people are still asking? Wow, DC didn't publicize it that well, did they?