Saint's Row 1 & 2

FLiam

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine it'll be a case of dialling them using the in game phone.

Correct, just like in SR1.

Which makes this quote at the end of the Aus IGN review sound weird.

Presentation

"Solid map system and a phone format 'borrowed' from GTA IV, plus a host of refinements across the board. "

Phone and the GPS style maps were both done in Saint's Row before GTA IV. I'm guessing the reviewer never played it.

Edited by Ruckus

Well SR's wasn't like GTA's where you could pull it up in game, you had to pause and then dial a number. So perhaps it's more like GTA's in that sense.

Though GTA didn't have SR's function of being able to dial in game numbers, I always loved that. Just finding numbers on bus shelters and stuff was cool, even if it was just an answer machine. That was a big dissapointment for me in GTA, I thought i'd be able to call the advert on TV about swords and have one delivered to me but no.

Edited by King eLLis

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/918/918374p1.html

IGNs review of SR2 for Xbox360...8.2, not too bad

If you want the story, sure....or you could just read something online.

Or, here's the dumb downed Ruki version!

You're walking along, almost get capped, get saved by the Saints, you join their gang and fuck shit up for the three other gangs. Then the mayor type person invites you onto his boat to thank you for getting rid of crime, you then get blown the fuck up. Enter SR2: You've been in a coma and in prison for X amount of years.

Yeah, that's about all I remember. Also, Johnny Gat is awesome, and his voice actor is the asian guy on Lost!

I'm not sure if they'll have changed the controls after GTAIV. In SR1 you drove with the A button to accelerate and X to brake, going back to that was certainly hard after playing GTA.

Weapons are done with B, holding it brings up a sort of wheel that has various slots, each one having a weapon. You push the left stick in the direction you want to select the weapon you want. You can also have a different item set to the d-pad which you can use in the same way as weapons. This is usually food to eat and replenish your health but there's also booze and drugs which affect the screen in a similar way to GTA's drinking. I assume they will keep the same system for 2.

The shooting combat is all free aim so that might be tough to get used to if you used lock on alot in GTA.

Other than that, nothing is coming to mind right now.

Going from GTA to SR, the driving was a bit different, easier to take corners. The weapon system is good, as you don't have to scroll through every thign you got, and each weapon has a melee function as well. You can also hold health items so you don't die, which can be helpful.

Can't remember the aiming on foot, but the aiming in the car is the same. And if you're riding shotgun, you can use a rocket launcher from the car! I say give it a rent, just so you can get everything down, and then pick up SR2 on Tuesday and join us in murder, drug dealing, and teabagging Fitzy.

Edit: Curse you Ellis!

Edited by Death The RuKid

Is this one of those games where I should play 1 before 2 or does it matter?

Sounds interesting. Does it play like GTA? Like how hard is it to get the controls down?

I dunno, should I go to chef school?

Or buy the Nirvana boxset?

Or have cornflakes for breakfast?

Or think for my fucking self for a change?

I have been expressly forbidden from wearing the free t-shirt that comes with the spec. ed. A, that's not surprising, there's a naked cartoon girl on the front, the word bitches and the slogan "you can't beat our meat." B, do they really think I'm that remedial that I think I could get away with wearing it at work that I need to be told in the first place? Still, I have preordered the special ed via calling shotgun, so fuck the 13 people on the list who preordered first (H).

Also, we picked our EASHL unis based on the popularity of orange and lbue forum skins, doing the same for SRII would be fitting.