The Sports Betting thread

Liam

I sort of get where lanky is coming from here, there are people out there (as there is with almost anything) that just want to point out that something is wrong for the sake of being "the good guy", for want of a better way to word that. Nobody wants to see the horses have to be put down, but it is a very small number (comparative to the number of competing horses) that do have to be. Obviously that very small number is still more than anyone would like it to be and efforts are being and have been made to reduce that number whilst still trying to keep the spectacle as good as ever.

The thing is, though, there's a difference between " hey we all want this to be safer for the horses, how can we achieve that? " and "THIS IS BARBARIC, STOP THIS WHOLE THING RIGHT NOW, IT'S DISGUSTING".

What exactly is the counter-argument? Does it boil down to 'I enjoy it, fuck off?'

I also don't think many people against jumps racing actually watch it - let alone sit there hoping to see animals dying to be proven right. Instead they comment on it in the hopes that more people actually start giving a shit because they are sick of it happening. It isn't a unique thing to see, it happens in any contentious issue -reporting/commentating a tragedy doesn't necessitate you to be happy about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck a fiver on Real tonight, hoping to slowly build a decent total. Kind of like a 5 to 500 pound type thing, except I'm not exactly playing safe, and it could easily go wrong. 9/5 is a decent price though. As is Bayern at 4/1 tomorrow. If this wins tonight, I might put some of the odd cash on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm down for the season but I have won two/three bets totalling £90.

Got two fourfolds on for the weekend both at £2 a go.

League 1 Fourfold (Win £94.62)
Barnsley win, Waslall win, Burton/Coventry draw, Gillingham/Doncaster draw

League 2 Fourfold (Win 43.20)
Cambridge Utd win, Leyton Orient win, Portsmouth win, Newport/York draw.

Stick Orient in your acca today, I reckon we'll put a few past them. Gillingham as well.

I didn't bet on the Orient game so you should pick up points today 

Stick Orient in your acca today, I reckon we'll put a few past them. Gillingham as well.

I didn't bet on the Orient game so you should pick up points today 

Thank you, O God of Football >_>

With or without your divine intervention I reckon we can win. Cambridge look shaky and apart from the blip you gave us last week, we are doing well.

At the start of the season, my fiancée, her brother and I decided to do some BTTS bets. Whilst filling them out, my step daughter (who's 6) wanted to do one. Typically, her five random selections come in, ours lose - £23 profit. 

We all lost just before the international break, but had another go yesterday. Again, ours lost, and the 6 year old picked 6 games from a long list. I'd never heard of some of the sides. I mean, who the fuck are Falkenberg? (later found out they're a Swedish team). Turned out the 1-1 Colorado-DC United draw meant hers came in again, this time bringing in £66.50. We've given her some again and the rest has gone in the holiday jar. Fuck it, she can pick mine from now on. <_<

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...