Best Goal Ever...?

alldaws1

Best goal ever? Maradona's second against England in 86.

Say what you like about him, call him a cheat, whatever. Doesn't change the fact that he's the greatest player ever to lace boots. Pele isn't fit to wipe his arse.

lol. You made a funny.

Pele > Maradona any day.

:)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The first known game of modern football was played in Scotland (and thus the supposed home of football), you guys just made up some rules for the game which was otherwise full-contact.

And the first ever international game of football? Scotland vs England. In Scotland. (It was a draw by the way).

First British team to be European champions? A Scottish team (Celtic), with a team purely of Scots.

Most dominant football team in the entire world? A Scottish team (Rangers), 51 league titles.

The first team in the world to ever win 100 major titles? A Scottish team (Rangers, again), back in 2000.

The British team to have competed in European competition the most amount of times? A Scottish club (Rangers yet again), with 46 European runs.

I'll stop now...

Wasn't the "game" itself already being played in Asia before the modern version started up in England?

I hate the Sun advert which mentions Tottenham as the first British club to win in Europe.

The last 3 are rather moot points and could concievably be used as arguments for why people say the Scottish League is so poor, especially relative to how subsequent teams then do in Europe, for example.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in on what had been mentioned.

Oh, and I also like the Dutch League (as Kraigy and Ringy mentioned, IIRC). Not great technically, but fun to watch.

EDIT: It took me a while to reply because I haven't been on in like...two weeks >_>

Edited by Liam Byrne

I think I'd add Paul Scholes' yesterday, that was immense.

I kinda agreed with what my Dad said about it....good goal, but with no-one challenging him and the ball coming out to him at a decent height, you'd expect a good player to hit the ball like that.

:blink:

As in, the ball was coming at a nice height, thier was no one challenging anywhere near him, and Scholes is a world class player. Him hitting the ball and scoring like that isn't as wOMG amazing as it probably should be. He still had a lot to do, but it was relatively easier than a lot of the goals listed on this page.

I'm not detracting from the goal, but the circumstances mean that there are many more goals that are better than the one Scholes scored yesterday.

EDIT: I was more impressed by his goal against Bradford which came from the corner, as to hit it first time coming over from a corner was a lot more impressive to me.

Edited by Liam Byrne

I think I'd add Paul Scholes' yesterday, that was immense.

I kinda agreed with what my Dad said about it....good goal, but with no-one challenging him and the ball coming out to him at a decent height, you'd expect a good player to hit the ball like that.

:blink:

As in, the ball was coming at a nice height, thier was no one challenging anywhere near him, and Scholes is a world class player. Him hitting the ball and scoring like that isn't as wOMG amazing as it probably should be. He still had a lot to do, but it was relatively easier than a lot of the goals listed on this page.

I'm not detracting from the goal, but the circumstances mean that there are many more goals that are better than the one Scholes scored yesterday.

EDIT: I was more impressed by his goal against Bradford which came from the corner, as to hit it first time coming over from a corner was a lot more impressive to me.

I'll agree with all of that, except 'Scholes is a World Class player.' WTF are you smoking? Sure, he's great for a ginger fella, but he's not world class, and never was. Top quality at his peak? maybe, but never, ever world class. Even Gerrard and Lampard are barely World Class.

Yeah, actually I agree, it was a little bit of hyperbole.

Interestingly enough, Sky Sports News didn't even have Scholes goal in their round up of the best goals in 2006. They did have the more unfashionable goals that people may have missed out (due to profile I guess), such as Anton Ferdinand's 35 yard turning volley against Fulham and an Henri Camara volley that was pretty special.