What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Watched two films today:

Tropic Thunder: Been looking forward to seeing this since it came out at the cinema. Trailers looked very good, but I was left disappointed. Just didn't make me laugh, apart from the last 20 mins or so. I really enjoyed it from when they went into the drugs farm place to rescue Ben Stiller. The last 20 mins saved it from being a total turkey. 5/10

Alien: Big fan of sci-fi films, but shamefully I've never seen any of the Alien films, until today. Really enjoyed it, and might even watch Aliens tonight (recently got the first three films on dvd). Really atmospheric, plent of scares, and impressice special fx for the time. 8/10

Terminator Salvation - Not too much in the way of plot, but man were the explosions great. The post Judgement Day landscape was awesome and Arnold "cameo" was nicely done. Hopefully the next movie will have a big more plot wise though. 7.5/10 from me

Edited by Hellfire

I honestly don't get all the criticism of Terminator Salvation, it was absolutely perfect for what it was supposed to be. I honestly don't know what they could've done to make that movie any better at all. And even though Bale gets top billing, this was Sam Worthington's movie, he was fucking awesome. I have absolutely no complaints about the movie.

Oh and Transformers 2 looks like it could be the biggest pile of shit to ever be squeezed out of the sphincter that is Michael Bay's head.

Terminator: Salvation - I'll give it a 7.5/10. I really don't understand the hate for this film. The references to the previous films were nice.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - If I had to describe this movie in one word, I'd say "rushed." Give it a 4.5/10, though it's not the worst comic book or superhero movie ever made.

Fermat's Room 7.5/10

A Spanish thriller about four mathematicians who are invited to a secluded gathering, only to be trapped in a room where the walls are closing in and the only way they can delay the moving walls is to solve maths riddles and puzzles.

'Fun' is probably the best way to describe this, the premise is 'fun', and the whole thing goes along at a fast-enough pace that you don't have time to get bored or for the thing to drag in the slightest. It's well enough made with some nice visuals but nothing whatsoever about the films is anything extraordinary or blow-away (though it can be said that nothing about the film is bad or dull either) and it does have one or two major but not fatal plot-holes.

If you can stand subtitles it's probably worth a look on DVD, or worth a cinema trip if you like foreign films or thrillers/puzzlers.

Edited by T'Angelo Barksdale

I honestly don't get all the criticism of Terminator Salvation, it was absolutely perfect for what it was supposed to be. I honestly don't know what they could've done to make that movie any better at all. And even though Bale gets top billing, this was Sam Worthington's movie, he was fucking awesome. I have absolutely no complaints about the movie.

Oh and Transformers 2 looks like it could be the biggest pile of shit to ever be squeezed out of the sphincter that is Michael Bay's head.

Yes. This is exactly what I came in here to say. I think most of the hate is coming from high expectations set by T1/T2 but after T3 I thought they would have lowered their expectations. I'm a big T1/T2 fan but the amount of build-up to "judgement day" and complicated time travelling plots to maintain I'm just happy that, unless I give it some real thought there was nothing in the movie that changed the characters involved in those two movies. From the start of production most people should have known to expect what we got, a really fun summer action flick. Sam Worthington was most definitely the star of the movie, the build-up of John Connor was totally understandable considering how engrained in the story he is, but this whole movie was Marcus' story.

I'd say a 7.5 rating is about right. Not a must-see but there are some really cool moments for fans and non-fans alike.

12 Rounds (****) - Enjoyed it so much, I saw it twice!

Drag Me To Hell (****)

Terminator: Salvation (**) - There are a lot of problems with it. For example, the Terminator 2 references were more "don't you wish this film was like that?" than a homage.

The Hangover

If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie. I think I'm done seeing comedies in the theater, they give away all the best shit in the previews.

The Hangover

I came in really wanting this to be a great comedy, but somewhere along the way it just didn't seem to deliver. This may have to do with what Zero had mentioned earlier, in that the trailer showed way too many of the funny parts that should have been a surprise to the audience. One of the best parts of this film is how Zach Galifianakis stood out as having the potential to become the next big comedy star.

Quarantine

Watched this after I got home from The Hangover and I came in thinking "This is going to be a zombie cash-in on Cloverfield and probably be a turd", but it was a solid horror flick that was realistic and used the environment superbly, something that I think has been lost in most recent horror flicks.

I tend to buy movies in bulk, leading to me having a ton of movies still in the packaging sitting around. I decided to start watching them.

Michael Clayton.

Loved it actually. I tend to like movies with more action, but this kept me involved and I cared about what happened. Corporate espionage and backstabbing. All sorts of goodness, and George Clooney is awesome as usual.

Edited by Hellfire

A couple more movies that I had picked up and never watched until recently. I watched these all 3-4 days ago, but didn't post 'em til now.

Traffic - Awesome movie. Movies involving Drugs are usually about the drug dealers, but this didn't glorify it like some do a fantastic cast and showed all sides of it and how it effects people, from the US Drug Czar all the way to house wives and Police Officers in Tijuana. Really cool overlapping of characters, not blatantly, but one character is walking down the street when another drives by, or ones going one way on the highway and another is going the opposite direction. I believe this movie started that sort of fad, seen in movies like Crash, although I could be wrong. Anyways, if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and check it out.

Freedomland - I love Samuel L. Jackson, I'm not going to lie. This wasn't too bad, but the ending killed it. I liked the premise though, girl gets carjacked with kid inside car, racially charged environment and you gotta find her before all hell breaks loose. Samuel L. Jackson is his usual awesome self, Julianne Moore is decent as the mom on the edge of a breakdown and Edie Falco, who everyone knows as Carmela Soprano does something different here. Still, the last twenty minutes or so just kill the movie.

Out of Time - Just like Samuel Jackson, Denzel gets a pass on pretty much anything he does. I didn't know what to expect coming in and picked this up on a whim, mainly because its listed as a film noir movie staring Denzel. Pretty good though, nice twists and turns (some of which you see coming and some which you don't) and the secondary characters were pretty fun. If you can find this cheap or see it on TV, I'd give it a shot.

Bedazzled, the 1967 version

Far superior version of the film, making the Brendan Fraiser/Elizabeth Hurley version look just terrible by comparison.

The Lost Boys

Rented this along with Quarantine, as I don't recall ever watching this. I neither loved it or hated, but instead just accepted the film for what it is, a cheesy horror film from the 80s that is neither mind blowing or incredibly offensive. The fact that you hear "Cry Little Sister" a few times through the film gives it a few bonus points, as for some reason I just love the shit out of the song.

Edited by Mr. X

The Lost Boys

Rented this along with Quarantine, as I don't recall ever watching this. I neither loved it or hated, but instead just accepted the film for what it is, a cheesy horror film from the 80s that is neither mind blowing or incredibly offensive. The fact that you hear "Cry Little Sister" a few times through the film gives it a few bonus points, as for some reason I just love the shit out of the song.

Written exclusively for that film it was! Love that movie, its just a great little 80's horror movie with both the Coreys.

2001: A Space Odyssey

What a strange piece from Kubrick, one that started off in a way that is interesting and informative to the viewer. The exploration of mankind from life (not only the individual but cultural) to death (which is but another form of life) is one that while isn't a new idea was something I found to be a main piece of this work. The opening segment of the monkeys is something that really caught my intrigue and was the best part of the film, besides HAL. After watching this, I now understand how HAL is always mentioned as being one of the best movie villains of all time.

Gran Torino

I have been looking forward to this film since I saw the trailer late last year. The character of Walt Kowalski is very intriguing and sets this movie apart from many other action/drama movies. Eastwood comes in and develops a character that is a memorable one in Hollywood. If this is truly the end of Eastwood's acting, I don't know of a much better way from him to go out than this fine piece of work.

Edited by Mr. X