What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I've been doing my annual re-watch of the Back to the Future trilogy and oddly enough found myself looking at the more technical aspects of it, particularly 2.

Mainly because 2 has a shit ton of the whole 'same actor playing 2+ roles on screen at the same time' thing which leads to this weird aura around the doubles which is is obviously noticeable but isn't really an issue. But then you have stuff like the part where they're at the 2015 McFly house and they're all sitting down to dinner and MJF is playing 3 people at the table. They all reach for this pizza and I guess caus they couldn't have each character reaching into each others spaces, you end up with the daughter holding this slice of pizza in this really unnatural way, like if you held a dirty nappy or something that you didn't want to hold so you're barely gripping it between your thumb and forefinger.Then she just slowly pulls it back towards her very deliberately and completely horizontally. Just looks weird.

Just seems like they went to such great lengths for something relatively minor, like the daughter barely has any screentime or lines and they say they had to do this scene over 2-3 days. They must have been pretty dedicated to this gag of MJF in drag.

There's another part where Biff and Old Biff are in the car and Old Biff hands him the almanac, which looks cool, but then Biff tosses is back and it just looks really fake. In general though I just started noticing more and more where all the 'splits' are dividing the actors two roles, like when someone's standing next to a hard edge of a wall or when the DeLorean comes into land as a model, ducks behind a lampost for a second and comes out the other side as the real car. Just thought it odd that I'd be looking at this stuff all of a sudden but I guess when you start to watch something enough times as I have these movies, you start picking up on different things.

I do love how dark 2 becomes though and something they mention in one of the extras or commentaries is how comparisons were drawn between 1985-A and Pottersville, which I hadn't even thought about before.

If you've ruined Back to the Future for me I'll be very cross.

Anyway, I watched Premium Rush today and it was good fun. Just a nice small scale actiony thriller, not too daft and didn't make Levitt into the standard superhuman such types usually do. The satnavvy graphics and route decision bits were shiny and nice.

Also, Elementary episode 23:

Ralph Brown and Jim Norton! Kick him up the arse! With his own shoes!

Was the Purge a horror movie?

A family is hunted by a strange group of evil-doers, complete with jump scares and spooky masks. Definitely a horror film, but also a dystopian thriller too.

• Like 1