What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix is a pretty good 4-part documentary about the history of hip-hop, starting with Kool Herc in the Bronx in the early 1970s and going through Afrika Bambaata, Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC and others as the host (Shadrach Kabango) interviews DJs and rappers and traces hip-hop's rise to the mainstream. It's definitely worth a watch if you're interested in hip-hop or its history.

Just watched Suicide Squad and I have to say that it wasn't as good as I was hoping it was going to be. I thought Margot Robbie nailed it as Harley and Leto's Joker grew on me towards the end but a lot of the rest was kind of boring.

Swiss Army Man was great. Super touching at times, which is so weird for a movie so bizarre. Paul Dano had these mesmerising close-ups that almost had me in tears a couple of times, and Daniel Radcliffe really was on fire as a loose limb corpse. Highly recommended, would love to watch it again if I ever had the time.

I watched 20 minutes of Movie 43 and feel like that's enough time to call it the worst garbage fire that ever got set on fire and filmed. Jesus Christ what a fucking dumpster of a movie. 

HURR HURR HUGH JACKMAN'S GOT BALLS ON HIS CHIN LMAO

• Like 3

Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates is.. aight, I guess. I love the cast, especially Aubrey Plaza and Adam Devine, but I felt like a lot of the jokes didn't land. Or maybe they're just not my kind of humor. I dunno. Either way, it was just.. OK. Nothing really special.

Rogue One, on the other hand, I loved and want to go see again ASAP.

If Captain America: Civil War could have just been more like the airport scene throughout, it would have been fantastic, but as it was it was okay.

Severely disappointed by what an awful combatant Winter Soldier was though. He's one of my favourite comic personas, and considering the Winter Soldiers were hyped as the be all end all fighters/spies with 8 of them being able to take down a nation in a night (or however they phrased it), he sure seemed to get his ass beat regularly and easily. He even teamed with two seperate guys who are top tier trained military experts in beneficial handicapped odds twice, and still got his ass beat both times.

Tom Holland was all kinds of perfect though. By far the best live action Spidey in one limited appearance than Maguire and Garfield.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Problematic?

Andrew Lincoln being a stalker is the primary example. Colin Firth wants to marry a woman he's barely had one coherent conversation with. Laura Linney's character could easily still be with Hot Karl, etc.

14 hours ago, Benji said:

If Captain America: Civil War could have just been more like the airport scene throughout, it would have been fantastic, but as it was it was okay.

Severely disappointed by what an awful combatant Winter Soldier was though. He's one of my favourite comic personas, and considering the Winter Soldiers were hyped as the be all end all fighters/spies with 8 of them being able to take down a nation in a night (or however they phrased it), he sure seemed to get his ass beat regularly and easily. He even teamed with two seperate guys who are top tier trained military experts in beneficial handicapped odds twice, and still got his ass beat both times.

Tom Holland was all kinds of perfect though. By far the best live action Spidey in one limited appearance than Maguire and Garfield.

Hey, I watched this today too! The takeaway about Bucky that I got from both Winter Soldier and Civil War was that he was an amazing ass-kicking machine when his mind was under the influence of the HYDRA spell thingy they put him under. Once his mind wasn't being controlled, he didn't have that invincibility. While under control, he beat Cap like three or four times in both films, and kicked the entire Avengers ass in Civil War as he escaped that German prison thingy. It was pretty marvellous, I thought :P 

• Like 1

"Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice can not be as bad as people have said. I'm sure it has some positives."

I'm 30 minutes in and hate it. The hokey music, probably still the worst version of Clark Kent I have ever seen, the numerous awfully miscast actors, the direction in general, the GRIMDARK visuals that give me 'Nam like flashbacks to the 90s, the absolute ADD levels of jumping around in the story. I still have two hours left of this.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Benji said:

"Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice can not be as bad as people have said. I'm sure it has some positives."

I'm 30 minutes in and hate it. The hokey music, probably still the worst version of Clark Kent I have ever seen, the numerous awfully miscast actors, the direction in general, the GRIMDARK visuals that give me 'Nam like flashbacks to the 90s, the absolute ADD levels of jumping around in the story. I still have two hours left of this.

I think the saddest thing about the casting in this is Lex. Eisenberg would have been a great Joker, since that's basically a toned down version of what he is in this.

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) was freaking lovely. It was like Jurassic Park, except without the dinosaurs. And Laura Dern. Sam Neill talks about being a gangster in it.

The Handmaiden (2016) was incredible, but so fucking nutty. It's funny, erotic, queasy, shot incredibly beautifully, and super sweet. Really great experience, especially the first act.

On 12/13/2016 at 02:52, LL Be Home For Christmas said:

So, I saw Tom Ford's second effort Nocturnal Animals last night and I am very mixed about it. The subplot in the movie (that eventually takes over most of the movie) is far more interesting and engaging than the "present" story being told. I get what Ford was trying to do with it, but I don't think it works entirely. I had a good time because I could honestly watch that subplot as the movie itself and I'd very much enjoy it.

This is exactly how I feel about it. The non-fictional plot, as people seem to be calling it, felt really intrusive of the fictional aspect, which, holy shit, had me on the edge of my seat for the first thirty minutes of the movie. It dials it back quite a bit, though, after that. I wished there was more Michael Sheen, he has like one scene, which sucks, and Jake Gyllenhaal went a bit overboard at times, I feel, but other than that, I thought it was a good movie. I didn't enjoy it so much as want to watch it again when I have more time to try and understand it better.

Oh, I also didn't enjoy American Honey (2016). I don't get what's supposed to be so amazing about it, it grossed me out way more than anything else, I think.

Keanu is a fun movie. Can't go wrong with Key & Peele, and go figure, I like a movie where the central premise has to do with a cat. :shifty: Also, Method Man playing a character named Cheddar has to be a nod to his role on The Wire, riiiiiight?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

Keanu is a fun movie. Can't go wrong with Key & Peele, and go figure, I like a movie where the central premise has to do with a cat. :shifty: Also, Method Man playing a character named Cheddar has to be a nod to his role on The Wire, riiiiiight?

I wasn't expecting much from that film but I really enjoyed it. It was just silly enough for me. And looking back at that Wham! bit makes me feel a bit sad.