What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

"Welcome to you're doom!"

I like Frisky Dingo but it's one of those things that gets a little more questionable as it ages. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fhqwhjosh said:

It mostly holds up, but that and a couple of other moments make me cringe a little.

Maybe we should ask Trent?

• Like 1

A little bit disappointed with I, Daniel Blake - moments of real human emotion and suffering seem somewhat unbalanced by things feeling forced, it's hard to escape the obvious intention of the film and it doesn't feel as organic as it should. 

Boyz n the Hood, on the other hand, was so great. Really moving, genuinely funny and so many interesting things being explore & deconstructed. The cafe scene between Laurence Fishbourne and Angela Bassett is perfect.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

A little bit disappointed with I, Daniel Blake - moments of real human emotion and suffering seem somewhat unbalanced by things feeling forced, it's hard to escape the obvious intention of the film and it doesn't feel as organic as it should.

Agreed. Ken Loach's worst enemy has always been his need to mouth off through his characters about social injustices when it's pretty obvious what he's trying to say in the first place. Are we ever led to believe the DWP's robotic bureaucracy is somehow a good thing? No, so we don't need to be explicity told this as well.

7 hours ago, GA! said:

Agreed. Ken Loach's worst enemy has always been his need to mouth off through his characters about social injustices when it's pretty obvious what he's trying to say in the first place. Are we ever led to believe the DWP's robotic bureaucracy is somehow a good thing? No, so we don't need to be explicity told this as well.

I'm torn. In a way, this is how the average person would react, you moan about your problems, sometimes to the point where it's shoved down your throat: I know I do it. But that doesn't necessarily translate to film, where silences and such can be so powerful. Sometimes Ken Loach works for me, in this case, there was still a lot of worthwhile stuff there, it just didn't connect in the way I wanted.

Before the Flood (2016) might be one of the most "we have a clear opinion" documentary I've seen in a long time, but fuck it, it's about goddamn climate change and everyone should share the same opinion as this film. The only thing I can see people being divided about is the parts about carbon tax, but other than that, this film is pretty great.

Two most recent movies from Netflix:

NEON DEMON - AVOID THIS SHIT! Total garbage, can't believe I managed to watch the whole thing, and if it was possible, I'd give it negative stars. Incidentally, Keanu Reeves is listed in the cast and I believe he's only in two scenes that don't even last five minutes total. If you decide to watch it, make sure watching paint dry is an alternative option and that you're either piss drunk or high as a kite. Or both. 

PURGE ELECTION YEAR - Pretty good, and ties the first and second movies together. (Not saying who, but some characters from the first two movies are in the film) I think the first two films were better, though. This one is also a bit more graphic than the first. Final fight was somewhat disappointing, but brutal.

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Two most recent movies from Netflix:

NEON DEMON - AVOID THIS SHIT! Total garbage, can't believe I managed to watch the whole thing, and if it was possible, I'd give it negative stars. Incidentally, Keanu Reeves is listed in the cast and I believe he's only in two scenes that don't even last five minutes total. If you decide to watch it, make sure watching paint dry is an alternative option and that you're either piss drunk or high as a kite. Or both. 

PURGE ELECTION YEAR - Pretty good, and ties the first and second movies together. (Not saying who, but some characters from the first two movies are in the film) I think the first two films were better, though. This one is also a bit more graphic than the first. Final fight was somewhat disappointing, but brutal.

I didn't like this film either, but I mean...why shouldn't he be listed in the cast...he is in the movie.

• Like 2

The Accountant (2016)

Went to watch this with Jen last night and we both really enjoyed it. However there are a few little inconsistencies within the plot but overall an enjoyable film and worth a watch. 

Uhhh, I got about halfway through Fury today and while I was initially impressed at depiction of war that didn't look to glorify anything - the whole 'he's gotten us through some shit' part after:

Percy Jackson is forced to shoot the German soldier

Made me uncomfortable about the direction of how we are supposed to think of Brad Pitt's commander, and then the whole.

Yes have sex with this terrified young woman, but don't worry because for some odd reason it's consensual and now we've added in a coming of age tale and everything is normal!

Left me pausing the movie and wondering what the fuck Ayer was thinking.

On 11/12/2016 at 01:01, apsham said:

Uhhh, I got about halfway through Fury today and while I was initially impressed at depiction of war that didn't look to glorify anything - the whole 'he's gotten us through some shit' part after:

Reveal hidden contents

Made me uncomfortable about the direction of how we are supposed to think of Brad Pitt's commander, and then the whole.

Reveal hidden contents

Left me pausing the movie and wondering what the fuck Ayer was thinking.

The film is supposed to be a very realistic depiction of war. It isn't all feather duster and tickles, really bad things happen.

• Like 1