What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I loved Moana.  I feel like it blew Frozen out of the water in terms of storytelling and especially visuals, although Lin Manuel Miranda doesn't really write those runaway pop hits so I don't expect it will be as popular.

But seriously, holy fuck was that a pretty film.  And not only did it manage to look good, there were even a few genuinely scary moments (for a Disney movie).

It basically feels like the filmmakers apology for The Little Mermaid and Hercules.  And if I had to sit through those movies to get to this, then that's all right by me.

• Like 2

Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Timewarp Again (2016) was... not bad. I honestly expected total sacriledge, but it was decent. Columbia was the best cast, followed by Rocky and Eddie, but Laverne Cox as Frank-N-Furter was completely miscast. I see where they were trying to go with her, but it just didn't work, and that's before you even compare it to Curry's once-in-a-lifetime performance. Riff Raff was terrible too, and clearly used less because he couldn't match up to O'Brien (and he should have been given a cameo too).

Dad's Army (2016) was a disappointment. The actors were great and the comedy was good when it was actually used (IE: The last ten minutes, which were great), but the script was awful for the most part. Way too much focus on drama and not comedy, and Catherine Zeta-Jones was simultaneously the star who the entire thing revolves around and the worst part about it.

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) was a return to a generic haunted white family after the enjoyable "Marked Ones". It was boring and absolutely missable.

Masterminds (2016) - Utter shit. Jared Hess is the worst. Why was Leslie Jones, Jason Sudeikis & Kristen Wiig in this? :( I hate when they're in shitty movies, but they almost always are.

Everybody Wants Some!! (2016) - Super fun. Linklater going through Dazed and Confused withdrawal. Loved it.

That Linklater film is supposed to be about a college baseball team in the 80s, right? It sounds like something I'd enjoy, considering Dazed & Confused is one of my favorite films like, ever.

Careful What You Wish For

If you're curious whether or not Nick Jonas can act, let me save you the suspense: Yes, he can. The movie was fairly predictable, Dermot Mulroney and Paul Sorvino are wasted in their roles, and it doesn't even have decent nudity by Isabel Lucas to make it entertaining (go watch her in The Loft for that). Watch if you're bored and there's nothing better on tv.

Watched it on STARZ On Demand.

Heidi is DVRing new Christmas movies off Hallmark Channel and I've watched a few. Won't rate or discuss, but there were actually a couple that weren't shit. Go figure.

Moana (2016) was magic. It's one of those films that just transports you away from whatever shit is in your own world, you know? It just tells you "Hey, for this hour and a half or so, just enjoy this" and I'm really so happy I got to see it in the cinema. It's beautiful, it's got a bad ass sountrack (that I'm listening to now!), it had what was an amazing debut for a minority girl that will hopefully be an incredible career (because that voice is absolutely stellar, so damn beautiful), The Rock manages to be charming as fuck even when you can't see him, and it's seriously bad ass, and totally not the usual Disney film, which might be my favorite part about it. I want to watch it in the cinema again, and I've felt that about maybe two or three other movies this year.

• Like 3

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them sure was a movie. Like, it wasn't bad but it was very very glaringly J.K. Rowling's First Movie Script in that there was tons of stuff that I'm sure if there were a book version I'd read beforehand I would have been like "oh, right, this is that" but instead I was left to try and figure it out on my own, and it... was rough. Only ended up liking one character all that much, and it wasn't the presumptive main character of the franchise so that's... not great. But the magical creatures were charming and I really like the way they made use of them in stuff like fight sequences.

Also saw Loving, which was a lot better but a little too long. Extremely well-cast, though.

On 11/26/2016 at 00:38, LittleDaniel said:

I loved Moana.  I feel like it blew Frozen out of the water in terms of storytelling and especially visuals, although Lin Manuel Miranda doesn't really write those runaway pop hits so I don't expect it will be as popular.

But seriously, holy fuck was that a pretty film.  And not only did it manage to look good, there were even a few genuinely scary moments (for a Disney movie).

It basically feels like the filmmakers apology for The Little Mermaid and Hercules.  And if I had to sit through those movies to get to this, then that's all right by me.

Umm...what is your problem with Little Mermaid?  They have nothing to apologize for with that film, it launched Disney into a new golden age of animated movies!

YOU MONSTER.

Also GoGo, Newt isn't meant to be the main character for the rest of the series.

• Like 2

Yeah but it's a shit movie (minus the villain song).

Also, if I remember correctly the filmmakers didn't want to make it, but had to in order to make their true passion project...Treasure Planet.

Also, I hate that the new Potter series is going to end up being more about Dumbledore and Grindelwald (presumably).  Dumbledore had his time to shine in the final book, I want to learn more about Newt!  Like, fuck, what did we really learn about him besides that he likes animals?  Things just kind of happened to him throughout the movie.  Hell, I loved the secondary characters that will presumably never been seen again, but I still do want to learn more about Newt rather than retreading familiar territory with Dumbledore's story.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2016 at 07:54, Cloudy said:

That Linklater film is supposed to be about a college baseball team in the 80s, right? It sounds like something I'd enjoy, considering Dazed & Confused is one of my favorite films like, ever.

Do it, it's good.

Suicide Squad wasn't quite as bad the reviews implied but it's definitely disjointed and feels like too many hands in the cookie jar. I think if they scaled it back a bit, it could have been a much better movie but I didn't hate it. 

12 hours ago, livid said:

Do it, it's good.

Suicide Squad wasn't quite as bad the reviews implied but it's definitely disjointed and feels like too many hands in the cookie jar. I think if they scaled it back a bit, it could have been a much better movie but I didn't hate it. 

XLIKVwR.jpg

• Like 5