What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

13th (2016) was amazing. It didn't feel like a regular talking heads documentary to me, and while it had to go through some real important shit real fast at times, it is still such essential viewing to me. There might even be something you have never connected before. Incredible stuff.

• Like 1

Live by night  (2017)

Long, dull and I just didn't care enough about Ben Affleck's character. The film falls flat in a lot of places in terms of the acting. It'd be a decent film if it was on TV and you wanted to waste some time but it's not one you should go out of your way to watch. 

La La Land: Loved it. Just a beautiful film in every aspect for me. I love how it looks, I loved the songs, Ryan Gosling was great, Emma Stone was wonderful.

The End of the Tour: I really liked it. I sort of went in to it assuming it was going to be a comedy-drama but it's pretty much straight up drama really. Jesse Eisenberg is good, Jason Segel had me thinking where the fuck did this performance come from? More of this type of thing please, mate.

Green Room: Jesus christ. I'd heard this was good, and I liked Blue Ruin. I heard an interview with Patrick Stewart saying when he read the script he got about 30 pages in to it and then had to get up and walk around his house checking all the doors and windows were locked and the security lights were on. So yeah, it's tense as all hell. And I loved this too. Was a bit sad watching Anton Yelchin in it.

Currently watching a WWE Films movie on Netflix streaming called COUNTDOWN. The star is Dolph Ziggler, playing a cop, and doing a pretty darn good job. His boss is Kane. Other wrestlers are in it, as themselves, because a bad guy demands that ransom money be delivered to an arena where the WWE just so happens to be holding an event.

Oh man, this year of cinema has spoiled us, Manchester By The Sea is another fucking great film that has absolutely ruined me, its so emotionally restrained and everything seems to go unsaid and that really hits for me. Casey Affleck is out-of-this-world good and fully deserves to be walking away with an Oscar. 

• Like 1

I know what you’re thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I’ve kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?

Guess what I watched!

• Like 1

Shrek?

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Oh man, this year of cinema has spoiled us, Manchester By The Sea is another fucking great film that has absolutely ruined me, its so emotionally restrained and everything seems to go unsaid and that really hits for me. Casey Affleck is out-of-this-world good and fully deserves to be walking away with an Oscar. 

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on the quality of the film overall or his performance, but the sexual assault allegations against him do greatly bother me, particularly when coupled with his response. So I'm forever going to be hesitant to say he deserves any sort of reward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fhqwhjosh said:

Shrek?

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on the quality of the film overall or his performance, but the sexual assault allegations against him do greatly bother me, particularly when coupled with his response. So I'm forever going to be hesitant to say he deserves any sort of reward.

Oh, I'd actually never heard of this? 

Not getting the connection with - coupled with his performance though? I missing something? 

I have horrid double standards when it comes to this stuff - I cite Rosemary's Baby as one of my favourite films, I still watch Woody Allen films etc. When I think about it, I'm uncomfortable with that attitude, you have that with anyone? I find with art, can actively not take it into account, like I can be disgusted by them, but still love their work. That seems fucked up to put into words, but yeah. 

Here's a primer on what I'm referring to.

It's definitely a thorny topic in general, as it is with Polanski, Allen, Mel Gibson, Louis C.K., Mark Wahlberg, and on and on. I'm sure I display that double standard myself with some things I support with my money or otherwise, but my typical view is to at least keep a conversation going around it. Hollywood and the film industry do have a significant problem of turning a blind eye toward abusers, racists, misogynists, and more - much like many other industries. Keeping a public conversation going about that problem and the higher-profile incidents is a start toward weeding out that problem, or at least greatly diminishing it.

• Like 1

Arrival (2016) has totally made me kick myself for forgetting how incredible Denis Villeneuve is. He manages to inject his films with such an atmosphere that is impossible to compete against. I absolutely need to watch Enemy, I can't believe I haven't watched it yet, especially as many say that's his best film yet.

• Like 3

Hidden Figures (2016) is actually really good, but I felt they could have pushed the envelope just a little bit further into these fascinating womens' lives. All 3 main stars were wonderful, though, really encouraging to see how good Jaenelle was, got high expectations for her performance in Moonlight now. 

Right Now, Wrong Then (2015) was incredible, but I could not stomach a lot of it due to the affair between Hong Sang-soo and Kim Min-hee, which is kind of gross to see a version of it play out on-screen. It is just kind of creepy to me, and I can't get over that.

Tower (2016) was a very well-done documentary about the University of Texas shooting in '66, but I kind of went in hoping for more on the shooter than just the entire incident and the victims. Almost no mind was paid to the shooter, who was most probably suffering from some mental issues plus he had a tumor in his head and had a history of physical abuse in his childhood, but the most attention paid to him I felt was just making him out to be this piece of shit, good for nothing monster. Kind of didn't address any particular issue, was just a historical, visual account of the incident.

SUICIDE SQUAD wasn't nearly as bad as some people led me to believe. My only real gripes were that they came off more dysfunctional than as actual bad guys, Slipknot even being in the movie was a total waste, and the Joker's portrayal stunk on ice. (How he looked and behaved. Its on the writers and makeup artists, not Jared Leto)

If there's a sequel and the Joker is in it, I hope Harley is trying to kill him, not kiss him.

I'd rather watch SUICIDE SQUAD 5 more times than ever watch SUPERMAN VS. BATMAN again.