What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

3 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Anyone else caught Hidden Figures? I thought it was pretty good. 

I've not but I can't help giggling when I see a trailer or poster for it and thinking "baby, aint no hiding your figure, aaigght ;)"

The Ex (2006) was decent. Forgot I had watched it before, but still entertaining.

Currently watching Kung Fury (2015) and whilst it isn't as constantly hilarious as I hoped, it's got some good laughs. Most of the comedy got old really fast though. Felt like a YouTube video stretched out into a TV episode.

Spoiler

Hacking Kung Fury back into time is barely a step below what most TV shows think hacking can do <_<

Also:

KF: "What year is this?"
B: "It's the Viking Age."
KF: "That explains the laser raptors."

:lol:

• Like 1

Here's a funun. Final Fantasy X: Eternal Calm. Did it to get the Steam achievement, still a good enough short film to set up Final Fantasy X-2 (which wasn't originally planned to happen).

Next up, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002).
(have the 4-disc set they put out, intend to watch extended cut)

Wrote some extended thoughts on Logan, a timely reminder that it's okay for big budget stories to make you feel something. 

The Last Stand that an X-Men film deserved, an instalment that is finally worthy of Hugh Jackman's exploits as Wolverine. It does what the genre has been crying out for: it puts its characters first. The arc, the emotional journey - they matter. That makes all the difference - a modern blockbuster that has remembered it's okay to make you feel something. The bone-crunching set pieces are excessive, at times exhilarating, at others repetitive, but absolutely at their best when they accentuate Logan's physical decline. It's refreshing, and thus distressing, to see our heroes so vulnerable, not at the hands of (forgettable) villains, but worn down by age and mental scars - no longer invincible, it hurts to see Xavier and Logan as shells of their former selves.

Jackman thrives on the opportunity to sink his claws (sorry) into meaty material: he says so much with so little, you feel his internal pain and he perfectly plays the physicality, there's something distinctly unglamorous about this version of Wolverine - grunting, struggling, forcing himself to somehow keep emotionally and physically functioning; a performance that would surely be garnering awards-recognition if Innaritu was behind the camera and it had a headline-worthy gruelling production.

For me, it stands proudly alongside the westerns it aspires to. A fitting send-off, a character-driven narrative that touches upon so much and fills out a character that has been severely mishandled and unexplored despite his prolificacy. I feel refreshed, hungry for more big-budget narratives that make me feel. Logan is a closed chapter, but here's to hoping it inspires more to follow in its footsteps.

• Like 4

Lucha Mexico is at its best when it focuses on Shocker, and seems kind of lost otherwise. I feel like it would have been a lot more cohesive of a film had it just picked two luchadors to focus on and focused on them, instead of jumping around so much and interviewing seemingly random luchadores before going back to Shocker and Strongman. 

Just got back from watching Logan.  Man, such an awesome movie

4 hours ago, iDOL said:

Just watched the first episode of Legion and I'm still wondering WTF I just watched...

Spoiler

A bunch of nonsensical bullshit that could've been wrapped up in ten minutes? The bit where the gang finally meet after the shoot-out should've happened by the end of the first act. Like, what's the show about otherwise? Why would I tune in the week after (which I didn't)?

EDIT: They could've done that episode, but wait ten episodes or so. Get the concept over first. Every series does a freakout episode at some point, but not as the pilot.

• Like 1

The Hateful Eight - I don't really think this holds up to repeat viewings. Actually becomes quite interminable. It doesn't feel like it needs to be this long, and I don't know why Tarantino insists on injecting himself in to his films so much, was distracting in Django Unchained, and it's even worse here, I remember not being that blown away the first time I saw it and this time I just thought oh fuck off Quentin. He's just so self-indulgent it's frustrating, really needs somebody to rein him.

Kingsman - Good bit of enjoyable fun with a really awkward, terrible final 30 seconds or so. I love Colin Firth.

Filth - This seems to be considered a black comedy but I just found it really dark and bleak. James McAvoy's performance in it is amazing, whole thing just kind of hangs on his performance. I liked it but I didn't really "enjoy" it.

Currently watching Mad Max: Fury Road. It's a fun action flick, and whilst it largely looks great, a few of the visual effects are jarringly bad for a film of this magnitude.

EDIT : Rest of it was awesome, by far the best Mad Max film for me. Also realised that the jarring visual effects were because it was awful stuff aimed at 3D. I wish that thing would fucking die off already.

I honestly thought doing a new Mad Max movie was a bad idea. I was quickly proven wrong. And I agree its the best Mad Max movie.

Recently watched The Accountant. Easily one of my favorite Ben Affleck movies.