20th July – Valerian & The City of a Thousand Planets

27th July – Atomic Blonde

3rd August – The Dark Tower

17th August – Baby Driver

17th August – Logan Lucky

31st August – American Made

31st August – The Battleship Island

31st August – The Son of Bigfoot

I have basically like one week off on the second week of August, and I'll probably go and watch something that I didn't have time to watch before that.

Yeah, Baby Driver is a really great way to spend two hours - it's so well crafted and all the actors are clearly having a ball working on it. It didn't do as much for me as it has a lot of people, who seem to be really into it, but it's still great fun. 

• Like 1

I thought Okja was just okay. It's a fantastic concept but the structure of it is lowest common denominator - there's a lot of noise and a lot of A-Level ethics when the story should have been much more nuanced. Plus, if I wrote for The Guardian, I'd make a smug comment about how the story of a young Korean girl is overtaken by the white men and of their needs.

Baby Driver is my favorite film so far this year, love the way Edgar Wright used the soundtrack, loved Jamie Foxx the most but the rest of the cast is amazing too. The car chase scenes are epic and it is just one fucking blast. 

Now it is time for Spider-Man: Homecoming in three days. I have high expectations for that one too. And in 10 days it is time for War for the Planet of the Apes, that one I have even higher expectations for!

Baby Driver seems to have divided my friends somewhat. Everyone enjoyed it on some level, but we've got the full range from "not bad" to "film of the year!".

Personally, I think the strong back third helps it to be a solid 4/5 and in the better echelon of films from this year. Saying that, im comfortable saying I liked Get Out more. 

It Comes at Night - I really enjoyed this. Maybe enjoyed is the wrong word but I liked it a lot. I think maybe the trailer goes a bit slightly too strongly in the horror direction than the film actually is but it's still genuinely just really creepy and unsettling and I found it tense as shit. Joel Edgerton is great too.

WAtching the Castlevania series on Netflix.  First season is a short 4 episodes, 30 minutes each.  Its violent, weird but very good

I liked Okja. Okja herself was a brilliant bit of animation, and a plausible "character" that you could feel a real emotional connection to, and I liked the story. It was all a bit heavy-handed in places, but I think it had enough of a sense of oddness and the occasional comedic moment to stop it from ever feeling like it was just moralising. When you're first introduced to them, the Animal Liberation Front are presented as quite an oddball group, and how sanctimonious they could be, and how black-and-white their morality is, was almost played for laughs, so it was odd that beyond that point they were more or less played straight. I would have liked to have seen more of the Dr. Johnny character, too - there was a lot going on there, but they only really scratched the surface.

Watched Castlevania yesterday too. I enjoyed it, though I'm not really sure what the point of it was, as it ends pretty much as the story feels like it's getting started. Obviously there'll be another series, but I didn't get anything at all out of this that couldn't be fit into a single episode or prologue. More violent and "adult" than I anticipated, haven't quite figured out if it was actually good yet.

I really liked Spider-Man: Homecoming, but wish that 1) I was watching it as a teenager. Unlike a timeless classic like Spider-Man 2, it felt like it was targeting teens. it was enjoyable as an adult, but I didn't feel like I was the audience that's going to fall in love with it. 2) I wish they stayed closer to comic cannon with the two main female leads.