What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Just came back from It. Pretty good, although it doesn't quite measure up to the book. I love that the new Pennywise actor played it darker than Tim Curry did in the miniseries.

Ramblings/thoughts:

Hide contents

Most disappointing thing was probably that about halfway through the movie, it just became "Pennywise jumpscares the Losers individually, they narrowly escape", rinse and repeat.

Richie was a lot of fun for most of the movie, I thought. He came off as the one-liner kid to sorta break the tension after/during a heavy scene. Given the entire first part of the story is a scary clown preying on children, I appreciated it.

In order to advance the story and provide more scares I understand it, but I thought it was strange to have Stuttering Bill/the entire group figure out that they need to stick together... and then find ways to split off no matter what.

Finally, Bill Skarsgård was excellent. The R-rating allowed them to truly get across how horrifying Pennywise is, and thankfully the Georgie scene was not sanitized. I'm pretty excited to see how they do with the sequel.

IT was a fantastic horror movie.

Spoiler

Wasn't the point of the jumpscares to instill fear?  He wasn't actually trying to kill them, he just wanted to scare them.  Even them splitting up made sense considering they are children, they are terrified and Pennywise is doing things to split them up.

Also, I'm glad they were able to invent time travel to cast a younger Kevin Bacon as Henry Bowers.  If Kevin Bacon doesn't play older Henry Bowers in Part 2 I'll be a little dissapointed.

Edited by Azazel

Just started watching through Coupling on Netflix. I remember watching it sometimes back in the day. It's even funnier than I remembered AND episode 2 has both a brief appearance of the beautiful Mariella Frostrup causing Angus Deaton's can of Sprite to spray AND my favourite-of-all Sarah Alexander saying "Let's get squelchy". <3 <3

• Like 2

Just finished watching Baby Driver. Heard some mixed thoughts about it before jumping in, but I really enjoyed it. I don't think I really have anything negative to say about it. Really good stuff. I do enjoy Edgar Wright's work, and this is another one to add to the list.

Watched 

tenor.gif

Today.

Thought it was mostly good.

Thought the kids were great, even if I found Ritchie annoying as fuck. Some decent creepy as shit, the painting that comes to life to scare the one kid actually the creepiest to me.

Pennywise in his normal form was creepier to me than when he suddenly turns in to 90% teeth and it gets silly. But in his basic form like in the sewer he feels loads more sinister and dangerous because of the see through sweet act where you can see this monstrous side trying to break out that he's doing his best to contain.

The bullies annoyed me, just SO over the top and like cartoon evil. Why were they all so needlessly angry, like the girl at the beginning with Beverly and then the main ones?

I think I've mentioned it here before but the fact that the end of the world happens in the opening titles of Mad Max 2 still jars ridiculously with me. The apocalyptic setting is way more fun, but I wouldn't accept it in Bridget Jones 2: The Edge of Reason so why should I accept it here. Or Jaws 2. Actually, that would be amazing. 

• Like 1

I want to commit to writing my thoughts on the movies I watch, so I'll try to use this thread for that. Don't expect much in the way of coherence or insight, I tend to just vomit out my thoughts and impressions.
___

Movies I've watched this week:

142. Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbergh, 2017)
-Not much to say about this one. There were fun moments, and Channing Tatum and Adam Driver make a convincing pair of siblings. It didn't really make that big of an impression on me, even though I did dig the working class take on Ocean's 11.

143. His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks, 1940)
-I am a sucker for snappy, tit-for-tat dialogue, so I loved this movie. Cary Grant is delightful as the cut-throat scallywag asshole of a news editor, and he and Rosalind Russell have a great rapport. 

144. Punch Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002)
-My favorite PTA film. Best known as the "Adam Sandler deconstruction movie", for good reason, but even with all that metatextual stuff aside, it works as an incredibly sweet, moving story of a lonely, anxious, overall sadsack being able to connect and fall in love with another person. Everything in this movie works, from the creepy, dissonant score, to the use of colors and lens flare, and especially Adam Sandler's lead performance. He's so good in this. In particular, I'm thinking of the mini-anxiety attack after his first encounter with Emily Watson, and the moment where he stands up to his overbearing sister over the phone. Speaking of Emily Watson, it's fair to say that her character was drawn a bit thinly, and that we weren't really made to understand why exactly she was attracted to him, but for me, it works. Mainly because it's hinted all throughout that she's just as lonely, and sad, and fucked up as Adam Sandler's character (the stalking, the wearing the same red dress, the note about her being an only child and wishing she had a big family like Barry's). Anyways, I love this movie.

145. mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017)
-This movie is a ride, and I really liked it. The biblical parallels are not at all subtle, but I don't think they were trying to be. It's an over-the-top mess of a movie, which I would say is part of the appeal. And for all the (valid) critique of the script and the anvil-on-the-head approach to symbolism, I don't think its an empty movie. It works as a black comedy bastardizing the Bible, but it's also fun to read as Aronofsky reflecting on his own creative process, even if that reflection was inadvertent. I don't want to say too much about the plot, but the fact that this movie is so clearly a vanity project is actually really interesting when put side by side with what happens in the story. What kept me from loving this was the lead performance by Jennifer Lawrence. I am not a hater of Lawrence, but she never reached the level of "unhinged" that the material called for, and given how central she is to everything that happens, it's a big handicap. But all in all, I enjoyed mother!, and wish that this kind of insane, narcissistic auteur-driven type work is rewarded.

146. Respeto (Treb Monteras, 2017)
-This is a local film (I'm from the Philippines), so unless an online copy is released somewhere, this probably won't be accessible to anyone not in the country. Which is a shame because it's great. The movie is set in one of the slums in Metro Manila and is focused on a group of friends who are into fliptop (a Filipino appropriation of freestyle hip hop and rap battles). Basically, they're a bunch of degenerates who come from troubled families and like to rap. The main character, Hendrix, delivers drugs for his sister's boyfriend, and ends up losing some of the money. In order to get the money back, they try to rob this old man (a former activist during our country's time under martial law), get caught, and end up having to do community service for the old man. What elevates this movie is the way it comments on our current situation here in the Philippines (our President is currently implementing a war on drugs which has resulted in the deaths of thousands of Filipinos, mostly members of the urban poor) and does it through a very small-scale story of a teenager trying to use free-style rap to win the respect of his peers. I'm sorry if this commentary was incoherent, there really is a lot going on in the movie, and some knowledge of the socio-political and cultural context is probably necessary to really understand it. Still, it's an angry film for angry times, and I think that's something people can relate to across cultures. 

Really enjoyed Kingsman: The Golden Circle. I'd put it a hair lower than the Secret Service just for weird pacing issues, but overall it was super fun. Thought Julianne Moore was fantastic, as was Mark Strong who I'm happy to see got what seemed to be a much larger role in this one, despite the cast growing to pretty huge proportions. 

I'd agree with it not being as good as Secret Service but it was still plenty enjoyable enough. It did seem silly spoiling something relatively big in the trailer but that's cinema these days. Regarding Mark Strong

was great to see him getting a bigger role and have loved him in these two films. The biggest problem was after killing off all the Kingsmen early on there was always a feeling of him being an expendable casualty by the end. Went out in style though![/spoiler]

Edited by lanky316
  • Like 1

Saw Wind River recently with my family. They’re up visiting from out of state and we wanted to catch a movie, and while this sort of movie isn’t generally my first choice (they wanted to see it, Lorina and I kinda just went along) I actually enjoyed it. Renner plays a good action hero — unsurprising given his work as Hawkeye — and his character’s background lends a different take on a hunter’s role in a murder mystery environment. Olsen, meanwhile, did an excellent job portraying an out-of-her-depth FBI agent seeking the truth, and gave a very raw and realistic performance overall.

There were some moments that felt forced, and others uncomfortably ran longer than maybe they needed to; however, on the whole I’d say it was a good movie, and delivered where it needed to in action and emotion. The pacing of the story was steady, and kept things moving without feeling rushed. Without spoiling with specifics, I would say the only point that broke the pace for me and felt jarring was the ‘big reveal’ moment, as it wasn’t fully established what was happening when it did.

I still wouldn’t have sought it out to watch, and it’s not in any personal ‘top movies of 2017’ list for me, but yeah. It was a good movie overall, and I’d recommend it to anyone looking for an action flick with a darker story.

Accidentally watched What Happened to Monday. Netflix kept pushing it on me, I thought it was a series, turned out it was a movie. Anyway it's good. One actress plays seven sisters and a mystery happens. I liked it.