What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Just watched the new Power Rangers movie. It was a little too serious for me and just not cheesy enough. It had some funny moments like the bully slap coming full circle but most of it just felt like another remake.

I've seen a hell of a lot in the last week or so, think I may as well include it all.

Dunkirk - Really, really good film. I'm not usually one to like war films, but this went about it in a completely different way. All about evacuation, as opposed to fighting. No guns and death and shootings and shit, and it really worked.

Terminator 2 (yeah, I know, took long enough) - John Connor is bad. Great film otherwise!! Better than the original, sure. Arnie is such a badass, and Linda Hamilton was really good in this.

Wet Hot American Summer (and the two Netflix series) - Such goofy stuff. Adored it. Film is great, the two series were pretty good too. One big thing that I didn't really like in Ten Years Later (spoiler...)

Spoiler

Adam Scott in 10 Years Later. He's great in Parks and Rec (also I completely forgot the reunion of Leslie + Ben here!!) but eh, he just didn't really work here, I felt. Guess he didn't really have the chemistry with the rest of them? Although I dunno, cos he's worked with a fair few of them before... like with Ken Marino as well in Party Down? I dunno, just felt a bit off with the group chemistry.

Drive - I like Bryan Cranston. I like him. Good film!! Dunno what else to say!

Paul Blart Mall Cop - Out of only morbid curiosity. It's not awful. Just not very good.

Spy - Just finished this. Silly stuff. Haven't really seen much from Melissa McCarthy before, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but it was a surprisingly funny film.

On 06/08/2017 at 11:43, Benjamin said:

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and John Cena totally bring it in The Wall. It's not the most interesting movie, but it can be quite a rush of adrenaline at times. A little unfortunate that the characters that Taylor-Johnson and Cena play, especially ATJ, are a little too one-dimensional. 

I decided to watch it. I quite enjoyed it mostly because I like films that are set in one location, they are so tricky to do well. Reminded me of Buried

• Like 1

Currently watching Doctor Strange (2016). It is not enthralling me at all to be honest. It's visually dull so far (the opening salvo was decent, but it wasn't anything breathtaking), Benedict Cumberbatch is basically being a shit House, Tilda Swinton is just awfully miscast as The Ancient One (and going in I didn't like the change in race, but I liked the idea of Tilda playing the role, so it's nothing to do with that, she's just not at all what I hoped), and the only part I've really enjoyed was the "Shamballah" joke.

4 hours ago, Benji said:

Currently watching Doctor Strange (2016). It is not enthralling me at all to be honest. It's visually dull so far (the opening salvo was decent, but it wasn't anything breathtaking), Benedict Cumberbatch is basically being a shit House, Tilda Swinton is just awfully miscast as The Ancient One (and going in I didn't like the change in race, but I liked the idea of Tilda playing the role, so it's nothing to do with that, she's just not at all what I hoped), and the only part I've really enjoyed was the "Shamballah" joke.

I liked the wifi joke and the bit about Beyonce. Apart from that it was pants.

On 12/08/2017 at 13:43, MDK said:

I decided to watch it. I quite enjoyed it mostly because I like films that are set in one location, they are so tricky to do well. Reminded me of Buried

Speaking of which, Buried is on BBC iPlayer if anyone wants to watch it. I'd say it is definitely worth a watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b014dl0w/buried

15 hours ago, MDK said:

I liked the wifi joke and the bit about Beyonce. Apart from that it was pants.

Yeah, didn't grab me at all even by the end. I was surprised at how badly cast most of it was, considering every person on paper seemed solid in those roles.

Only worse MCU movie is Dark World IMO.

14 minutes ago, Benji said:

Yeah, didn't grab me at all even by the end. I was surprised at how badly cast most of it was, considering every person on paper seemed solid in those roles.

Only worse MCU movie is Dark World IMO.

I'm not really a fan of the Marvel stuff so I only watch them if they are on tele or something, I don't go out of my way to watch. All the actors are top notch but its so weird to see Benedict Wong in big Hollywood films. I still see him as Sean Lock's flatmate. 

Suicide Squad was not as bad as I had been lead to believe. Biggest problems were a) a shit villain, b) the actual story was pretty naff, and c) outside the laugh (which was nailed on), Leto's Joker was even worse than I feared from the visuals, largely because he wasn't a try-hard like I expected - he was just boring, which should never be the case with The Joker. Decent enough popcorn flick though.

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Suicide Squad was not as bad as I had been lead to believe. Biggest problems were a) a shit villain, b) the actual story was pretty naff, and c) outside the laugh (which was nailed on), Leto's Joker was even worse than I feared from the visuals, largely because he wasn't a try-hard like I expected - he was just boring, which should never be the case with The Joker. Decent enough popcorn flick though.

I actually felt like he did well with what he was given, which honestly with that movie was not much. I found pretty much the entire movie boring outside of a few spots with Will Smith who I will never not like.

If you want to watch Batman and Harley Quinn, be warned that 1) it is definitely not for kids, and 2) there are some overtly sexual scenes are disgusting at best, and quite possibly sexual assault at worst. I absolutely hated it. While there were some funny moments, they were ruined by the bad taste in my mouth from the utterly disgusting stuff preceding it. There is definitely going to be some kids watching it, and I'm not sure how DC allowed this shit.