What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I really wanted to watch A Dog's Purpose, despite knowing it probably won't be good, quality-wise, but then that video surfaced of the crew terrorizing and being absolute disgusting pieces of shit to that dog and I absolutely hated that shit movie. 

• Like 2

I watched King Charles III last night. Took a little while to get going, but once it got into the thick of it, it was exceptional. Piggott-Smith put in one hell of a performance, and the whole thing felt intelligent and thought-provoking in a way that BBC drama for the most part hasn't in many years. It felt like a real throwback to the days of Play For Today. And it pissed off the Daily Mail little Englanders no end, which is always nice.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is alright but the pace is not great which causes it to be really boring in parts. Surprisingly generic for a Guy Ritchie film so it's a little curious why they didn't just hire some random music video director on the cheap to imitate the few parts where his style shown through. 

It's opening this weekend so technically hasn't made that yet but it's on pace for about $25M for the weekend, yeah.

Like I said, it's really not bad, it's just generic and unremarkable. 

Finally got round to watching High Rise last night. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not.

Love the book, love JG Ballard in general, but this didn't quite feel like it worked. It seemed to fall too quickly into disarray, and all just felt a bit obvious. Maybe that's the danger of sci-fi/"speculative fiction", to use Ballard's preferred term, being too prophetic - looking back, what was once controversial and thought-provoking feels all a bit dull.

Ghost in the Shell was shite.

Mindhorn was okay. Not quite my kind of humour, it was a bit too Mighty Boosh (which I hated with a passion), or IT Crowd (which I didn't like much), Nathan Barley (I liked it, but it was just too damn accurate to be funny, it was just sad :<)... but it had a few funny, silly moments.

On 2017-5-15 at 09:48, Skummy said:

Finally got round to watching High Rise last night. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not.

Love the book, love JG Ballard in general, but this didn't quite feel like it worked. It seemed to fall too quickly into disarray, and all just felt a bit obvious. Maybe that's the danger of sci-fi/"speculative fiction", to use Ballard's preferred term, being too prophetic - looking back, what was once controversial and thought-provoking feels all a bit dull.

I thought it was a bit on the nose. Casting was good though.

2 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly it, really.

I haven't read the book, and it is on my never ending list of books that I probably wont get to read, but I assume it is probably one of those that is a bit more subtle when reading?

Had a bit of a big action movie weekend.

X-men Apocalypse was disappointing. Felt like two hours of very little happening whether action or character building. So much relied on prior knowledge, most of the new characters barely got a line never mind motivation (I'm looking at you Psylocke), and of course the big daft

Spoiler

Deus ex machine Phoenix ending

The Quicksilver effects were decent again but nothing new and went on far too long, his fight with Apocalypse was far better. Otherwise meh.

Independence Day 2 on the other hand did everything I wanted from it. Big silly popcorn flick with a reasonable cast to keep me interested. Obviously there were flaws but it was pretty enough to gloss over.

• Like 1

Been watching Sherlock Series 4 the last few days. The first episode yesterday,  the second currently watching. I understand why they don't, but good hell, I wish they would make more at one time. Absolutely brilliant. 

8 hours ago, MDK said:

It was absolute wank. An insult to my buttocks that I sat through it. 

Your buttocks just couldn't handle its awesome-ness :angry:

Honestly, though, I don't even remember what happened in that movie, which is kinda' what you want from a popcorn action movie like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Your buttocks just couldn't handle its awesome-ness :angry:

Honestly, though, I don't even remember what happened in that movie, which is kinda' what you want from a popcorn action movie like that.

True. Maybe I am doing it a disservice and I need to watch it again. 

I think it was probably better watching in bed than paying in a cinema, but there were explosions and baddie aliens and people doing Will Smith-esque wise cracks. I had no complaints.

• Like 1

I didn't like it because they spent the first half of the movie doing a lot of unnecessary exposition. The people seeing don't really care what happened, get to the explosions and stuff!

Edited by livid