What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Went to the cinema three times in three days, sort of making up for my relative lack of trips of late:

John Wick: Chapter 2 - More of the same (which is a good thing). I'm looking forward to the inevitable third film.

Logan - Is very good, and possibly the best film in the X-Men franchise.

Kong: Skull Island - Fairly standard blockbuster, done moderately well. First 1/3 drags a little bit, but I was otherwise not bored. I'd happily watch it again/a sequel. The CGI for Kong was impressive.

As for the Legion chat - I didn't think the pilot was that difficult to follow. I'm one episode behind, but the first four have been consistently good to very good.

Oh, I also watched the X-Japan documentary We Are X the other week too. That was really good, particularly for fans.

Hercules (the one with The Rock)....Predictable as any blockbuster, but watching The Rock running around with long hair and Greek armor was lots of fun....

I actually really liked Ghostbusters (2016). It's not as good as the original two, but it wasn't at all bad. I was a bit worried when McCarthy first got introduced and it seemed to fall down a well, but it was just one scene. Hemsworth absolutely stole the show though, he absolutely nailed the dumb blonde stereotype. Cameos were neat too.

• Like 1

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. It's not a great film but it's certainly watchable. On first viewing it felt like Hemsworth began to grate too much by the end but actually on a second watch it wasn't as bad as it felt in the cinema. I am very relieved the dance routine thing was cut and put in as a whacky end credit sequence though as I think that would have taken me too far away and killed the film dead in it's tracks while building up to the big finish.

how much you get out of The Belko Experiment is pretty much dependent on how into black comedy you are. It never particularly transcends just being Battle Royale: Office Space Edition (they even got John C. McGinley, for god's sake), but it does have a certain degree of effective cruelness. The plot manages to be super-obvious and slight but there are a couple of moments where if you're real into bleak, morbid meta-jokes you'll get a kick out of what happens and if you're not you'll basically be like "well, fuck, what was the point of that," and by the third act it pretty much turns into a rote sequence of one character killing another, and another, and so on and so forth. Not worth going to the theater for, I think, but maybe if it's on TV and you're real into game-of-death stuff.

• Like 1

What I don't get about the new Ghostbusters is why it isn't just a continuation of the others? Like you have Murray, Aykroyd and Hudson there all about 60 odd, it seemed weird to shoehorn them in as completely different characters rather than being the same characters and just actively choosing to hand over the reigns to the new cast. It just seems weird to make a Ghostbusters film and not try and connect the two. Have essentially the same background of these women doing what they're doing at the start of the film as it is, the originals can't keep up with things anymore, paths converge, bam, changing of the guard. Maybe I'm overthinking it, and there's probably a reason, I'd just rather see them as the Ghostbusters already having some credibility and legacy to the name that instantly commands respect in a universe where it's already accepted that shit, there are big weird ghosts we need help being protected from and these women are the badasses that are gonna do it.

In any case, I watched The Nice Guys and really enjoyed it. Happy for Shane Black to just keep making silly detective/crime capers like this and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I did not know that they extended Beauty and the Beast (2017) by about 45 minutes from the original. Jesus Christ, why did they try and complicate the most simplest of fucking fairy tales? It's a movie that is completely ridiculous to have been made to do nothing but gift wrap Disney a bunch of more money. Fucking hell, it is beautiful, though.

• Like 1

One of the biggest criticisms I heard of that is that it's just basically "the animated movie, but with an extra 45 minutes tacked on". There's apparently plans to do live action Mulan and Little Mermaid and other animated Disney classics. I guess Disney's formula now is just "let's remake animated classics, people will just go 'I remember that. From my childhood!' and make us jillions of dollars."

That is essentially their strategy with all of the IP they've collected from their own animated stuff to Marvel to Star Wars and it's strange because you could easily chastise them for taking advantage of the awareness those brands have built but they get a bit of a pass because generally the movies are good. It's honestly a little amazing they don't get much backlash from people who lament the lack of originality in Hollywood. 

Be Here Now (2015), it is a documentary about Andy Whitfield, the guy who plays the role of Spartacus throughout the first season, about how he is battling cancer. I watched it straight after having re-watched the first season and damn, the last 30 minutes were so tough. He had a strong wife for sure. Really made an impact on me.

I took my boys to see the Boss Baby. I was expecting it to be not so good, but it was a pleasant surprise. Definitely different than what the previews present it as, and most importantly the boys enjoyed it. Realistically, when it comes to a kids movie, who gives a flying fuck how "good" it is if the kids like it. Mine did, mission accomplished.