What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Wolverine (2013) didn't really like it...found it kinda boring. It's not great or good but it's not terrible at the same time. It just exists. 

Super in love with 20th Century Women (2016) right now. Some of Annette Bening's delivery of certain lines really felt like it broke my heart at times. Elle Fanning was stunning, it was just so lovely how it didn't go into cartoon-y territory with the characters, any of them. 

I, Daniel Blake (2016)

A good film that is quite powerful and that despite the grimness of it all shows a good human kindness and spirit despite the unfortunate circumstances people may find themselves in. 

It's also quite factual in that people on welfare can often put in a losing battle due to the severe restrictions and rules imposed on them. Would definitely recommend.  

A quick recap of the weekend...

The Founder (2016) - Far better than what British critics in particular have rated it. I plan on writing a review early this week so I'll stay schtum for now.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) - Finally built myself up to watch this after I was badly burned by the film adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 ages ago (to sum up: SHIT). This was a great effort, it captured that smoky October atmosphere of the book, and Jonathan Pryce as Mr Dark puts in an utterly astonishing performance. But you can tell Disney  went to the 'test audience' well too many times. Everything past the library showdown (the best scene in the film) is incoherent and noisy, and I assume most of the darkness I remember from the novel (been a while since I read it) was smoothed over.

State and Main (2000) - I can't imagine the situations presented make much sense to the average viewer. But as someone who has read about certain Hollywood practices and cover-ups, this was a great little ensemble comedy showing the absurd day-to-day of film production.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 5th viewing. Possibly 6th. It's good.

The Craft (1996) - This is a film I've been aware of for sixteen years, and for whatever reason I have always forgetten to watch it whenever Netflix or - back in the day - Blockbuster reminded me of its existence. And............ I fucking adored this film. I have a strange, strange love for 90s high school films. In fact I'd say one of my favourite TV/film genres is "Californian teenager starts their first day at school in a new city and then..." I love that particular film look from the 90s too, the mid-tempo pop-grunge soundtrack, and there's a few things in here I wouldn't be surprised inspired Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Dare I say even the clothes and hairstyles have a misty-eyed nostalgia to them now? Anyway, in conclusion, please don't judge me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GA! said:

A quick recap of the weekend...

The Founder (2016) - Far better than what British critics in particular have rated it. I plan on writing a review early this week so I'll stay schtum for now.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) - Finally built myself up to watch this after I was badly burned by the film adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 ages ago (to sum up: SHIT). This was a great effort, it captured that smoky October atmosphere of the book, and Jonathan Pryce as Mr Dark puts in an utterly astonishing performance. But you can tell Disney  went to the 'test audience' well too many times. Everything past the library showdown (the best scene in the film) is incoherent and noisy, and I assume most of the darkness I remember from the novel (been a while since I read it) was smoothed over.

State and Main (2000) - I can't imagine the situations presented make much sense to the average viewer. But as someone who has read about certain Hollywood practices and cover-ups, this was a great little ensemble comedy showing the absurd day-to-day of film production.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 5th viewing. Possibly 6th. It's good.

The Craft (1996) - This is a film I've been aware of for sixteen years, and for whatever reason I have always forgetten to watch it whenever Netflix or - back in the day - Blockbuster reminded me of its existence. And............ I fucking adored this film. I have a strange, strange love for 90s high school films. In fact I'd say one of my favourite TV/film genres is "Californian teenager starts their first day at school in a new city and then..." I love that particular film look from the 90s too, the mid-tempo pop-grunge soundtrack, and there's a few things in here I wouldn't be surprised inspired Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Dare I say even the clothes and hairstyles have a misty-eyed nostalgia to them now? Anyway, in conclusion, please don't judge me.

Now get your ass back on Letterboxd!

I forgot just how weird Heavy Metal is. I enjoyed it a lot more when I saw it the first time - as a teenager - and I feel like it doesn't really hold up. The gratuitous nudity was something 16 year old Cloudy thought was awesome, but now 15 years later I'm like "can we get on with it already?" The scene where Taarna suits up in her "battle" gear, in particular, felt like it went on forever. "Oh look, a naked lady. Oh look, now she's swimming across a body of water. Oh look, now she's very.. very.. slowly putting on skimpy leather. Jesus Christ, can this take any longer?"

The coked out aliens are still my favorite bit though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LarsLars said:

Now get your ass back on Letterboxd!

Keep meaning to. Keep forgetting tbh. Plus I feel under pressure to constantly watch stuff if I'm an active member when these days I'd rather watch 5/10 films in a row and then not bother for a month.

On 01/03/2017 at 22:06, Arjen Robben said:

The Lobster - Just... really strange. I actually found it pretty hilarious at times because of how utterly deadpan it all is. Quite disturbing at times as well, also oddly touching.

Just read the synopsis for this, sounds incredible.

Watched Lion (2016) last night, I know it's only partly based on true events but it's unbelievable how something like that can go on for so long unnoticed. Matthew McConaughey is again fantastic.