What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Friends From College.

It's supposed to be a comedy, but it's honestly not really funny at all. It's closer to a drama, really. It didn't get good reviews but I don't think it was terrible... just not particularly any good.

Got to see The Little Hours last night at our local super-nice independent theater. There was a panel and Q&A after with the director and Aubrey Plaza. Super fun.

Point being that you should totally see it. Super fucking funny.

Is that the nun one?

Finally watched War for the Planet of the Apes. It was fucking spectacular. One of the best endings to a trilogy I've seen, the ending to a saga you hoped The Dark Knight Rises was, where it had to live up to a spectacular second film and it freaking surpassed it. It was the most anticipated film of the year for me for some reason, and it lived up to the hype. I definitely want to see it again. I don't think everyone will love it the way I do, and some will surely compare it to the original series, but I hope everyone watches it because it's truly worth watching.

• Like 2

Baby Driver was alright, wasn't exactly blown away. I liked the use of the music and that, but wasn't impressed with the script. I'll echo the final third being pretty strong but...

Spoiler

It did feel like that "Dear Sister" sketch from SNL though at times.

Edited by Gorka

Dunkirk was unbelievably good. Time flew by. The sound editing was unbelievable, really made you feel like you were in the thick of it. 

And that amazing score. Definitely glad I made the effort to watch it at 10 in the morning.

EDIT: My friend just said this is a horror movie, and that's exactly what I felt. My heart was racing, my eyes were glued to the screen but I wanted to duck my head so many times, so many moments made me jump out of my seat. I might be on a hyperbole train right now, but seriously, Dunkirk is the best Christopher Nolan movie.

• Like 1

Yeah we went to see it yesterday on a whim and I loved it. Can see the horror comparison on that one, once they've done the set up of the three plots the tension barely lets up and you're always waiting for the next assault. Adding to the horror element

I loved that you didn't really see the Germans face to face, even when they capture the pilot at the end faces are blurred giving it kind of a "running from the unstoppable monsters" vibe.

Would definitely recommend it.

13 hours ago, Rocky said:

Binged season 1 of Ballers yesterday and binged Season 2 today. It's not what you'd call compelling TV but it's enjoyable to watch.

Only just watched the trailer for Season 3. I'm looking forward to it. It's not a show that I'd be devastated to see being cancelled or anything, but still very entertaining and funny at times.

Dunkirk might be the best looking and sounding film made this year but I missed the connection with the characters. Otherwise, incredible piece of film making.

I do like the fact that some parts are filmed near where I live! The Ijsselmeer!

Spiderman: Homecoming. It was awesome! So glad we get to have Spiderman in the MCU. Now if we can somehow get a Fantastic Four that doesn't suck, please. No more origins though, just do the same as they did with Spiderman and have them be in-universe already but not introduced yet.

5 hours ago, iDOL said:

Man, I forgot how cringe-worthy Freddy vs. Jason was. Oh, and that asinine "Jason is afraid of water" thing.

I love the fact that in the game he's so fast in the water. 

I just watched Shin Godzilla (2016) and I really liked the new design and the final shot was damn, damn fucking creepy. Hopefully another one will be released! (I don't mean the anime trilogy that will start in November).

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and John Cena totally bring it in The Wall. It's not the most interesting movie, but it can be quite a rush of adrenaline at times. A little unfortunate that the characters that Taylor-Johnson and Cena play, especially ATJ, are a little too one-dimensional.