What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

22 minutes ago, Hard BD said:

I liked it. Very few lame jump scares, and a lot of scenes that just messes with your senses and expectations of what's about to happen. Really gets the blood pumping. Probably the best horror movie I've seen this year, except for Get Out.

Spoiler

Eh, I don't know. I did like the less is more approach, but when you don't even find out what "It" is, it just really put me off. The scenes following the family trying to leave were absolutely brutal to watch though.

1 hour ago, iDOL said:
  Hide contents

Eh, I don't know. I did like the less is more approach, but when you don't even find out what "It" is, it just really put me off. The scenes following the family trying to leave were absolutely brutal to watch though.

Spoiler

Yeah, I would understand why people would be put off by it. I don't usually like horror movies, and a major reason for that is because when the ghost or whatever is revealed, it's usually lame as hell to me. When something is there and you have no idea what it is, that ups the tension and the scare for me, and really sucks me into it.

I've watched 42 features in the last three and a half week at the London Film Festival. I've managed to see some incredible stuff - highlights included:

Wonderstruck
Loveless
Call Me By Your Name
Promised Land
A Fantastic Woman
Foxtrot
Beach Rats
The Shape of Water
Custody
The Florida Project
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 

A bunch of these will get general releases, because there's some big films in there, but would really encourage seeking out some of the stuff on that list when they come out that you might not've heard of. 

Haven't made a Designated Survivor post in a fair while. So, here we go with Season 2.

Main takeaway so far:

Spoiler

Calling it now that Patrick Lloyd isn't dead as presumed from the end of the second episode of this current season. Main mastermind behind the whole chain of events leading up to the whole premise of the show and he's "dead" this early into the season?

If my hunch is correct, he's returning as the big event in the mid-season break, ala the Kirkman assassination attempt in Season 1.

Just got back from watching Stronger.  Great acting from pretty much the whole cast, and I can't think of a movie that does a better job showing pain.  That said, didn't care for the movie overall.  Pacing issues combined with the plot itself not doing anything for me.

I finally got around to Get Out. It was really good (big surprise). I also watched The VVitch, which was also pretty good. Anya Taylor-Joy should be in more stuff, she was fantastic in that movie.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 19:20, iDOL said:

I couldn't even finish A Ghost Story. What a slow moving dud. THERE IS A SEVEN MINUTE SCENE OF A WOMAN JUST EATING PIE! Not saying a word, sitting in the dark, fork smacking against the plate, SEVEN MINUTE SCENE. No Thanks.

My sister told me about that when I said the poster looked good, I just assumed she was making shit up!

On 22/10/2017 at 19:20, iDOL said:

I couldn't even finish A Ghost Story. What a slow moving dud. THERE IS A SEVEN MINUTE SCENE OF A WOMAN JUST EATING PIE! Not saying a word, sitting in the dark, fork smacking against the plate, SEVEN MINUTE SCENE. No Thanks.

You do that in a French art-house film and you win a Palme d'Or. I bet that is right up @Jimmy's wheelhouse.

On 22/10/2017 at 21:11, Jericode said:

Three episodes into Happy Valley, fucking hell the BBC know how to do great police dramas.

Finished this off yesterday, so so good.

What other great police dramas are out there? Already watched all of Luther and Line of Duty so looking for another fix.

Was going to try Broadchurch but annoyingly it doesn't seem to be on Netflix.