What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

4 hours ago, MDK said:

The film is supposed to be a very realistic depiction of war. It isn't all feather duster and tickles, really bad things happen.

Err yeah, that was what I originally liked about it until it started to make Pitt's character shine in the light no matter what. It was a weird set of morals.

3 hours ago, Gigan Lars said:

Watched Arrival (2016) yesterday and Hell or High Water (2016) today. Both amazing and among the best films released in 2016 I've seen so far.

Haha, I was coming in here to post "Arrival is probably the best movie I've seen this year since Hell or High Water."

• Like 1

I recently watched the restoration of Napoleon (1927) at the BFI, which was just absolutely incredible, one of the best cinema experiences I've ever had. I was little cautious at watching a nearly six-hour silent film, but it's honestly so great. The new score is just overwhelming and the film is so ahead of its time, it's dramatic, thrilling and absorbing. 

Also watched Toni Erdmann which is easily one of my favourite films of the year: genuinely moving but also hilarious, like the funniest film I've seen in the cinema in years. I totally understand the Cannes hype and hope a few of you get the chance to catch it, it's really accessible and deserves to been seen. 

In terms of classic, Wuthering Heights (1937) and The Big Heat (1953) are both very good films, in confident hands of cinematic masters William Wyler and Fritz Lang respectively. I feel like the former is, at terms, almost shot like a Film Noir, which makes it a pretty interesting comparison film for the latter, which is just all-out noir goodness. 

• Like 1

And just think, there's already 4 sequels planned and it'll probably make a kajillion dollars anyway because HARRY POTTER.

Saw Arrival last night. To echo previous sentiment, it's flipping good! Top 5 film of the year for me.

I have the Handmaiden on my watchlist, going to go through that this week.

Watched Elle (2016), I was dumbfounded. It's definitely going to divide opinion, but my god I loved it.

Oh, then I watched Star Trek: Beyond (2016) and The Shallows (2016), because why not. Beyond was a fine, fun film, though I think it's the least of the trilogy, and the Shallows had amazing tension and shots, and it was simply stunning to watch, but the stupid backstory tacked on ruined it for me. Felt like a shitty anchor just dragging the movie down.

And then I fell asleep watching Finding Altamira (2016).

11 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Oh, then I watched Star Trek: Beyond (2016) and The Shallows (2016), because why not. Beyond was a fine, fun film, though I think it's the least of the trilogy

I agree about Star Trek. It was fun for what it was, I'm not a huge Star Trek fan or anything but it delivered a bit of fun nonsense. And anything with Big Driis is fine by me.

On 11/17/2016 at 20:58, Benkid Nada said:

Watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016), what a fucking confusing narrative, and I had no idea what exactly was going on until 2/3 of the film was done. Plus I was trying hard not to fall asleep by then.

Hmm, I went into it knowing very little about the film (but a lot about Potter obviously) and I found it really enjoyable.  Not the strongest story from the universe, but I did think it was the strongest movie of the lot.

However,

I really didn't like it when Graves turned out to be Grindelwald.  I wish he was just a follower, or even just someone with the same "for the greater good" philosophy, not the actual wizard Hitler himself slumming it trying to infiltrate the American magical government for some reason.

I watched Central Intelligence and Captain America Civil War

Both were good - and I sort of hope Central Intelligence gets a sequel - but I didn't like the ending of Civil War at all. Or that

Zemo didn't get his face fucked up