What Did You Play Today?

Mick

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the demo of VT on the 360, and it's horrible, I just couldn't get to grips with it at all. Shame really, as VT2 was the best tennis game I'd ever played, especially at the arcade.

I've been playing a lot of TimeSplitters: Future Perfect again recently. One of my favourite games ever. Started playing again as my housemate was boasting about getting a single platinum in the arcade league, so I loaded up mine to show him the 10 or so I have B)

Best multiplayer game ever.

Resistance Online, I absolutely blow at this game.

Gran Turismo HD, I absolutely blow at this game too, but I had fun being bad at this game, as opposed to tearing my hair out wondering how the fuck people can move so fast.

Golden Sun 2. Back on home ground with RPG's, I love this game, absolute GBA classic.

NASCAR 06, Started a Chase For The Cup with the M&M's car, Just finished whipping everyone by 3/4 distance and then switching to Dale Jarrett for the 1-2.

Just finished a game of Alpha Centauri I started last week. Largest map possible, I played as The Hive. I had those damn hippie Gaians and the University cornered on little islands, but they were built thick with cities and bunkers full of soldiers so I could only do a complete naval and aerial blockade.

Then I realized that even if I couldn't overturn the U.N. Charter in order to commit attrocities (including but not limited to using chemical weapons, nuclear weapons or executing/brainwashing political dissidents), it wouldn't matter a thing. I cut off diplomatic ties, and in five turns' time there was a payload of six nuclear missiles headed for each island. Blew both islands to cratered wrecks, after which I landed with my troops and commenced mop-up until the last of my enemies were wiped out.

I had almost forgotten how much work it is to achieve a Conquest victory in these Civ-type games. I usually go for the diplomatic road if possible.

I've been in a really odd mood to play all that is Star Wars.

Did all of the campaigns for Empire at War (Rebel and Empire, plus Forces of Corruptions Zann Consortium). I know it's not the greatest, best looking or indepth RTS out there, but damn is that a fantastic game. An enjoyment of Star Wars makes it all the more awesome. Plus the very last campaign mission in FoC is just outright fantastic.

Played some Rogue Squadron III yesterday, and by god do I suck, but damn is it fun. Being able to play Rogue Squadron II co-op was fucking brilliant. More games should be like that.

Bought and have been playing some Battlefront II (never played the first) and I have to say, it's one of the best Star Wars games ever. Really gets the feel of some of the battles (albeit space missions suck) in the movies. I was always leery of it because of the whole online thing (since I can't and wouldn't anyways). But it's great to play against the AI and going through various things with my girlfriend has been awesome.

Next up is some Knights of the Old Republic... Still have to track down those star maps.

Guest digrind

The roomie just bought Meteos for the DS. If you've never played this game before and you can find it cheap, it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's got your standard puzzle-game bunch of colored squares in a tube setup, with squares falling as you go. You can shift your squares horizontally, and you want to try to make either a horizontal or vertical row of at least three. When you do this, the squares--and everything on top of them--launch into the air. If you have enough momentum (I think it's determined by the "weight" of the squares on top of the ones you launch), you can send them off the top of the screen; if not, you may get it near the top to knock off the top squares, but the rest will start to fall back down. You can throw squares that were on the ground under your launched squares up to the falling platform, or rearrange the ones on the platform to make another three and get an additional rocket boost.

Of course, all of this is happening at a breakneck pace, while the music adjusts itself to what you do in a Lumines-esque kind of way. It's a hell of a good time, easy to pick up and play and without requiring a substantial personal investment like a Final Fantasy or a Zelda. That's what I like about the puzzle genre: it's easy to get into, easy to turn off, and usually quite fun if executed well. My one complaint is that the goals are a little bit obtuse; you may actually have to read the manual to figure out the terminology, because the tutorial, frankly, sucks.

Overall, I'm going to say 8.5/10. One of the best puzzle games since Kirby's Avalanche, which is my favorite ever.

Busted out Sid Meier's SimGolf again like I've been itching to do for a while now. Still quite possibly the most perfect blend of 'simple for beginners, yet challenging once you really apply yourself to trying to do well' that I've ever played.

The ironic thing is that I have so many old PC games that I want to play that I have no need to buy any new ones.

Man, SimGold was bad-ass. I need to find a copy of that again.

Been playing FM 2007 all day. Still think I prefer 2006, but it's got its perks. Ordered EU3 and STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl today :)

Still on my Transcendence groove. I've almost made my way through the arena . Stuck on the last ship now , will have to upgrade my weapons and armor. I really don't want to get rid of my omnidirectional laser cannon though. All i have to do is hold attack and it's pretty much done for.

Going to backtrack through some of the previous systems I've visited to gather up money and gear.

Boom Boom Rocket -

Trying to get the achievement for all fireworks. I have all the fireworks on easy & medium, and a firework for the first six tracks on hard. These last four however, are infuriatingly difficult. I only managed to complete the seventh track once, and I didn't get a firework for it (I almost hit the fucking roof).

Feeding Frenzy -

Time Attack mode is a piece of shit, because you can't save your progress and it's a lengthy game from start to finish. I got to a few levels from the end, ran out of time and got the Game Over screen (I almost hit the fucking roof again). I'm edging closer to the 'Play For 10 Hours' achievement, as well as the various food bank achievements (I'm at 7,000 in the bank at the moment).

3D Ultra Mini Golf -

Bought this one today and it's rather fun, especially in multi-player with a friend. This one managed to frustrate me because I went through the entire single player campaign and beat all my opponents with an overall score of -1 (one below PAR), only to find that I need to not only win the trophy to unlock the achievement, but I also need to win with a score of -4 or better. Shit.

F.E.A.R on the PS3. Man is that shit freaky, only really played the training level and the level after that and I am so fucking hyped for it, while at the same scared shitless. The visuals are just plain awesome, the story is creepy, and there's enough gore to keep me happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimate Spider-Man (PS2)

Graphics are poor, controls are a bit 'loose' in terms of camera and view and movement. Having to do those fucking shit races to progress the story is balls too, and sometimes the objectives in the missions aren't clear enough.

On the plus side, everything else is fine, and there are some neat ideas, and Venom, making this one of the most alright games ever made. 7/10