What Did You Play Today?

Mick

So I cracked out FFIX again and I cannot describe my love for this game.

Instead of the usual start a new game shtick that I usually go through when I want to play an FF game, I decided to just continue from the game where I've beaten Ozma and am just before Kuja. I still managed to have fun with nothing to really do other than grind levels and learn abilities. Quina is one of my new favourite characters, as is Freya, and I'll be using them more often than not in my next game. My next task on that file is to get everyone to level 99 just for kicks. :shifty:

Edited by The Sorceress Knight

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a used copy of Rogue Galaxy yesterday for like 30 bucks, and I can already tell that I'm going to become completely engrossed in this game. Other than that, I played Tanarus, which is a freeware online first-person tank game. Anyone who's strapped for cash and is looking for some good online action, seek out this game, it's a great team game once you get the hang of the controls.

Edited by Venom

Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES with a mod added turning the game into Tecmo Rose Bowl 2006. I'm currently in season as LSU (GEAUX TIGERS!) and I'm 2-0 after a thrilling upset of the Texas Longhorns. Fucking awesome.

It seems as though I can't play any game nowadays that isn't at least 5 years old. Busted out Pokemon Silver today. I remember why it was my favourite. I really wish they'd start including more than just the one region again. I loved Silver so much more when I beat the Elite Four and was then told that I had 8 other Gym Leaders waiting for me. They really need to do that again. =(

Rented Gears of War the past couple of days from lovefilm.com and it's going back already. Some of the camera angles are horrific, the aiming is cumbersome, and aside from looking pretty, it doesn't really amount to much. Very dissapointed, as I'd heard it was one of the best games out for the 360, and Iw as looking forward to co-op. Still, at least I didn't pay for it. Though I really wish companies would stop staking so much on graphics. Yeah, it may look nice, but if it plays like shit, I don't want it. I'll watch a film if I want to awesome visuals and no influence over events occurring.

Top Spin 2 (the other game that came) has been a completely different sotry. Awesome game, lots of fun, graphics are nice. I'm finding it a bit tricky, but multiplayer's a larf.

Champions: Return to Arms. I started a wood elf ranger, got him up to level 15. Trying to get him to 20 so he can learn explode arrow and dual wield. Fun, fun game.

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing starcraft yesterday , after my friend kept pimping it out. it's insanely addictive , but I suck right now. Can't get past the Terrans Mission #6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Grim Fandango. Not really sold on it, though. The style and characters are awesome, but adventure games tend to shit me. The puzzles don't make any sense until you do them. 'Pick everything up and mash together' doesn't really strike me as a puzzle so much as luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate, hate, hate the Norwegians.

On Europa Universalis III, anyway.

Explanation:

The year is 1718. Great Britain (moi) is the foremost superpower in the world, with territories from Winnipeg to Rio de Janeiro...Morocco to Madras...Egypt to Indonesia...you get the idea. Ruled by King George II - emperor of the Holy Roman Empire - the British are currently facing a huge Germanic bloc of Austria, Bavaria, Brandenburg and others who occupy almost all of Central Europe between them.

France, meanwhile, is ruled by Francis IX, the son of the great Charles XIII. Due to an earlier series of marriages, Charles had been deemed the rightful heir to the Norwegian throne and ruled over both kingdoms throughout his life. Upon his passing, the French throne went to his elder son (or so I like to think) Francis, while Norway went under rule of his younger son Louis.

Britain and France have had many wars over the centuries - the last and greatest of which in the 1650s, which France lost very badly. However since then a new spirit of friendship has been fostered between the two countries. A strong military alliance has seen them battle triumphantly against the Turks, the Spanish, and others. In the current Germanic war, the red and blue colours of the two nations have been marching eastwards, side-by-side into the German heartland. And then, as the final move to cap the special relationship between the two countries, a royal marriage was arranged between the son and daughter of the two monarchs.

Two days, TWO DAYS after these vows of matrimony were exchanged, King Louis of Norway (who had been feeling increasingly sidelined from French interests) declared war on Great Britain. And so, Francis IX of France had a very difficult decision to make.

He chose to side with Norway.

On the battlefields of Germany, French and British allies turned on each other. With the Germanic nations still in the mix, a chaotic three-way war was suddenly on the cards. Hopes of peace and stability in Western Europe were dashed for generations to come.

This sudden turnabout was so depressing that it's going to be a while before I can bring myself back to that game now. :(

Twilight Princess.

"You know what sounds like a good idea, Stupid Kid #2?"

"What, Stupid Kid #1?"

"Chasing a monkey into the forest filled with DEADLY ANIMALS!"

"That sounds AWESOME. LET'S DO IT."

CHILDREN ARE RETARDED.

I've been practically playing Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires non stop since I got back from school. I'm still waiting for Warriors Orochi to come from Amazon...Stupid slow shipping...

I'm enjoying Empires though. Just completed an Empire on Chaos mode...Again...

Been playing Heavenly Sword and it really is just that good.

Fantastic hack n slashery, great graphics, some fantastic character models and lip synching (they teamed up with Andy Serkis) and some heart wrenching story stuff.

It's always good to feel overly powerful in such games (which you do, especially with the Heavenly Sword) but even better for me is when you play Kai with the crossbow - mainly cos you can follow the arrow and "steer" it with the six axis as it whips along in slow motion.

So it's great firing at a bad guy from afar, guiding it into a villain's eye socket (and the arrow stays embedded where it hits them). If you hit them in the back they stagger forward for a bit trying to clasp behind them at the arrow - very cool.

However I DID have a few markout moments (which don't spoil storyline)

- Just the intro - when right in the middle of the opening FMV storyline in a vast battlefield it just opens up and allows you to go crazy, laying into a thousands-strong army (albeit for about 20 seconds before the FMV kicks in again)

- In the first level, the first time you can fire the cannon at the catapaults (and men). Following the cannon ball you've just fired and steering it into target....Wow.

- So I was firing at these guys, see some explosives near them so shoot into it. Hmm, no kaboom. So I fire and steer the arrow through a flaming torch....AND NOW MY ARROW'S ON FIRE! Whoooo. KABOOOOM!

- The first bit of the game where you tap buttons to slide down the ropes and land on an enemy - coolios.

- The first time I hit a perfect reversal when it zooms in and shows the death in all it's beauty.

- The first time the game screen split into two boxes - a la 24 - and while storyline went forward in one box, I could continue playing in the other. Genius.

Been playing Heavenly Sword and it really is just that good.

Fantastic hack n slashery, great graphics, some fantastic character models and lip synching (they teamed up with Andy Serkis) and some heart wrenching story stuff.

It's always good to feel overly powerful in such games (which you do, especially with the Heavenly Sword) but even better for me is when you play Kai with the crossbow - mainly cos you can follow the arrow and "steer" it with the six axis as it whips along in slow motion.

So it's great firing at a bad guy from afar, guiding it into a villain's eye socket (and the arrow stays embedded where it hits them). If you hit them in the back they stagger forward for a bit trying to clasp behind them at the arrow - very cool.

However I DID have a few markout moments (which don't spoil storyline)

- Just the intro - when right in the middle of the opening FMV storyline in a vast battlefield it just opens up and allows you to go crazy, laying into a thousands-strong army (albeit for about 20 seconds before the FMV kicks in again)

- In the first level, the first time you can fire the cannon at the catapaults (and men). Following the cannon ball you've just fired and steering it into target....Wow.

- So I was firing at these guys, see some explosives near them so shoot into it. Hmm, no kaboom. So I fire and steer the arrow through a flaming torch....AND NOW MY ARROW'S ON FIRE! Whoooo. KABOOOOM!

- The first bit of the game where you tap buttons to slide down the ropes and land on an enemy - coolios.

- The first time I hit a perfect reversal when it zooms in and shows the death in all it's beauty.

- The first time the game screen split into two boxes - a la 24 - and while storyline went forward in one box, I could continue playing in the other. Genius.